Do anyone ever take their own tray to use on the buffet?

beta98beta

I know strange question and probably strange thing to do but...

Carnival used to have trays then they did away with them. No big deal to me at the time. But now I'm older, have limited mobility due to health issues (have to use a cane many days) and is traveling solo. I hate having to make multiple trips, salad bar, food, drink, dessert... especially on days when I should be using my cane but can't use it and get my food too so I have to leave the cane at the table to fix the food.

When I'm traveling with friends or family its not as big of an issue as someone will usually offer to bring my drink so I can bring my salad bowl and food plate and someone will usually go pick up dessert for the table at the end of the meal. But when I travel alone I have to make multiple trips even when I leave my cane at the table so I can bring my salad and meal plate I still have to go back for drink and desert. Since I'm alone and I guess move slow without the cane once I even had my meal removed by the staff while I was off getting my drink! LOL!!!!

I also like to watch the dive in movie with a meal, it can be quite a distance to bring the items from the buffet to the outside area, if I could do it in one trip it would be so much easier.

So I see on ebay they sell the trays like you see at McDonald's for as cheap as 4.50, so I'm thinking about ordering one. Its light weight enough to fit in my luggage and will probably add more stability to the side. of the luggage.

So I'm wondering, have anyone else ever done this? I would think maybe parents with small kids have or others with mobility issues? If so did you run into any issues, I. e. the tray was too small to hold plate, salad bowl and drink? Or Carnival staff told you that you're not allowed to use it?

Thanks in advance for answers and / or thoughts.

Hi There,

I think this is an excellent idea. I would imagine that the restaurant manager would be open to you having a tray given your requirements. ALthough, I have not done this myself so had a quick look online and found this link for carnival;

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx (shame they call it special needs - in the UK we tend to call this accessibility)

there is an email contact you could use to ask in advance as well.

An alternative would be to approach one of the staff to ask them to help you. If I was at the buffet at the same time as you, I would offer to help - so perhaps fellow passengers would be helpful too.

I hope you have a wonderful time and I do realise I didn't really answer your OP. I just thought this might help a little.

Flumble

x

Hi There,

I think this is an excellent idea. I would imagine that the restaurant manager would be open to you having a tray given your requirements. ALthough, I have not done this myself so had a quick look online and found this link for carnival;

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx (shame they call it special needs - in the UK we tend to call this accessibility)

there is an email contact you could use to ask in advance as well.

An alternative would be to approach one of the staff to ask them to help you. If I was at the buffet at the same time as you, I would offer to help - so perhaps fellow passengers would be helpful too.

I hope you have a wonderful time and I do realise I didn't really answer your OP. I just thought this might help a little.

Flumble

x

Thanks Flumble! I'm going to email them! That helped a lot :)

I brought one but it wasn't always useful once it served it's purpose. Then you are stuck with it ;) It is good to bring goodies back to the cabin though.

I thought about that too, but fortunately my cabin is aft and close to the elevator so once I'm done I can take it back. :) thanks! I found a better one Amazon than the one I was originally looking at on ebay in in the reviews one person posted they had purchased it for a cruise and it worked out well, so that let me know I'm not the only one with this situation, LOL.

I do not and am thrilled with the move to the bigger plates.

If a tray is necessary, just get one from room service.

Those round room service trays are way too large and heavy for my needs, I don't have a problem with bringing one I know I can handle. The larger plates are nice for those with a healthy appetite for sure! I just like my salad and dessert to be separate from my main food items.... nothing can ruin a piece of cake like gravy soaking the bottom of it.. LOL.

Thanks for the quick response! :)

I know strange question and probably strange thing to do but...

Carnival used to have trays then they did away with them. No big deal to me at the time. But now I'm older, have limited mobility due to health issues (have to use a cane many days) and is traveling solo. I hate having to make multiple trips, salad bar, food, drink, dessert... especially on days when I should be using my cane but can't use it and get my food too so I have to leave the cane at the table to fix the food.

When I'm traveling with friends or family its not as big of an issue as someone will usually offer to bring my drink so I can bring my salad bowl and food plate and someone will usually go pick up dessert for the table at the end of the meal. But when I travel alone I have to make multiple trips even when I leave my cane at the table so I can bring my salad and meal plate I still have to go back for drink and desert. Since I'm alone and I guess move slow without the cane once I even had my meal removed by the staff while I was off getting my drink! LOL!!!!

I also like to watch the dive in movie with a meal, it can be quite a distance to bring the items from the buffet to the outside area, if I could do it in one trip it would be so much easier.

So I see on ebay they sell the trays like you see at McDonald's for as cheap as 4.50, so I'm thinking about ordering one. Its light weight enough to fit in my luggage and will probably add more stability to the side. of the luggage.

So I'm wondering, have anyone else ever done this? I would think maybe parents with small kids have or others with mobility issues? If so did you run into any issues, I. e. the tray was too small to hold plate, salad bowl and drink? Or Carnival staff told you that you're not allowed to use it?

Thanks in advance for answers and / or thoughts.

We recycle the room service tray. No one will even blink.

Just ask one of the crew members for assistance in carrying your food. I have seen it many times and actually had to ask for help on my last cruise. I had to use a cane due to very bad knees, I had my food plate, loaded lol, and asked a very nice young lady to help me carry my drink to my table. She was more than happy to assist.

Personally, I prefer the trays.

You can easily get crew members to help you.

They will walk with you as you choose the food.

They will bring you drinks. You just need to ask for help which for some people may be a difficult thing?

Perhaps don't think of it as "help" . Think of it as just getting the service you want.

Hi Beta98 :)

Recently sailed on the Breeze for a 14-day voyage. I have Multiple Sclerosis & use a forearm crutch.

During our 1st breakfast at the buffet I forgot to bring the room service tray along with me.

When we got to the buffet I saw how large the plates were & said to my wife that I would be ok in regards to balancing everything with one hand, and for each of us to get our breakfast & we'll meet at a table.

She gave me a strange look & said, "are you sure?" I said "yeah, look how large these plates are".

I was wrong, hahahaha! My balancing act quickly became too difficult for me to handle.

Before I even had a chance to look around for my wife, or ask a fellow passenger for assistance, a Carnival Breeze employee appeared in front of me like magic & said, "I can help you with that sir".... and took my plate.

He then helped me finish getting the rest of my breakfast while having a friendly conversation with one another.

Now my wife comes over & the 3 of us are talking. He then takes her plate also, along with our drinks, to a table.

I told him that I wanted to bring our room service tray from our cabin to the buffet, but had forgotten. He told me to ask any employee for help if I need assistance.

For the next 2 weeks I saw him every morning in the buffet except for two days when we had a Suess At Sea breakfast & a regular breakfast in the MDR.

He would come right over to my wife & I (with a tray in his hand) to ask if we needed any help. It was as if he would magically appear.

If we said we were ok, he would then hand my wife the tray or he would hold out his tray in front of him & proceed to take our plates if we already had our food.

While having breakfast on disembarkation day, I gave him $25 and a huge thank you!

Employees are certainly there to help a passenger when needed. I didn't even have to ask.

Have a great day!

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Eat breakfast in the MDR every morning. Eat lunch in the MDR when it is open. When it isn't open, then call room service. Eat every dinner in the MDR.

Avoid the Lido at all costs - that is how I handle the issue of having to juggle everything.

I have found that the floor in the Lido on the Breeze and the Magic is as slippery as ice. After having a fall when someone spilled a drink and it was neither marked nor cleaned up, and being knocked down by a kid running through, I won't set foot in the Lido restaurant. I just skip lunch on embarkation day.

But, they aren't round and heavy. They are plastic rectangular trays just like the ones they used to have at the buffets.

Must depend on the ship and how much you order.

Question for those wanting a tray---

What order do you get your food? Do you get it all at once? Salad, hot, dessert and drink? Or do you do it in stages?

The times I'm alone I'll get my drink first then get either the salad or hot line. Get up a second time to go thru the other (salad or hot) line. Drinks are placed on the plate, like a tray. Silverware is in a pocket or under my arm.

If I'm with family one will get all the drinks, the others will get their food, then we will switch. Usually the drink person will have gotten silverware and we will have gotten silverware. Then we have too much silverware.

Hi Beta98 :)

Recently sailed on the Breeze for a 14-day voyage. I have Multiple Sclerosis & use a forearm crutch.

During our 1st breakfast at the buffet I forgot to bring the room service tray along with me.

When we got to the buffet I saw how large the plates were & said to my wife that I would be ok in regards to balancing everything with one hand, and for each of us to get our breakfast & we'll meet at a table.

She gave me a strange look & said, "are you sure?" I said "yeah, look how large these plates are".

I was wrong, hahahaha! My balancing act quickly became too difficult for me to handle.

Before I even had a chance to look around for my wife, or ask a fellow passenger for assistance, a Carnival Breeze employee appeared in front of me like magic & said, "I can help you with that sir".... and took my plate.

He then helped me finish getting the rest of my breakfast while having a friendly conversation with one another.

Now my wife comes over & the 3 of us are talking. He then takes her plate also, along with our drinks, to a table.

I told him that I wanted to bring our room service tray from our cabin to the buffet, but had forgotten. He told me to ask any employee for help if I need assistance.

For the next 2 weeks I saw him every morning in the buffet except for two days when we had a Suess At Sea breakfast & a regular breakfast in the MDR.

He would come right over to my wife & I (with a tray in his hand) to ask if we needed any help. It was as if he would magically appear.

If we said we were ok, he would then hand my wife the tray or he would hold out his tray in front of him & proceed to take our plates if we already had our food.

While having breakfast on disembarkation day, I gave him $25 and a huge thank you!

Employees are certainly there to help a passenger when needed. I didn't even have to ask.

Have a great day!

You found a very nice crewmember and good of you to give him such a nice thank you:). If you have his name you might want to send JH a note complimenting the crewmember for such great service.

You found a very nice crewmember and good of you to give him such a nice thank you:).

If you have his name you might want to send JH a note complimenting the crewmember for such great service.

Hi Love my grandkids :)

Oh yes, I got his name during the 1st few minutes after meeting him.

We most certainly included him in our Carnival "thank you letter' that (we always compose) towards the end of our sailings & give to guest services (while on the ship).

This way, letters are scanned by guest services and placed in crew sections for management of the names listed in the letter.

For example: If the captain is mentioned, (by name) he receives a copy.

We only sail B2B's, our thank you letters are typically filled with many crew names.

Have a wonderful day lovemygrandkids!

Edited by PortSideCruzan

I don't need assistance - I just hate making multiple trips or putting everything on those plates pretending to be trays. I don't want my salad dressing all over my other food, or syrup from my pancakes on my piece of cantaloupe or danish.

I got 2 trays for $1.29 each at the Christmas Tree Shop (it's part of Bed, Bath & Beyond). I take them every time. They fit in the suitcase easily. Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. On my last cruise, we were with a family group so I always had someone who wanted to join me for brunch or breakfast in the MDR. But they were great when my DH and I went to the lido buffet. I usually get a cabin near the lido, so it wasn't a problem to take them back to the room. I had wipes, so I just wiped them down and put them back in the closet. The work out well.

Hi Love my grandkids :)

Oh yes, I got his name during the 1st few minutes after meeting him.

We most certainly included him in our Carnival "thank you letter' that (we always compose) towards the end of our sailings & give to guest services (while on the ship).

This way, letters are scanned by guest services and placed in crew sections for management of the names listed in the letter.

For example: If the captain is mentioned, (by name) he receives a copy.

We only sail B2B's, our thank you letters are typically filled with many crew names.

Have a wonderful day lovemygrandkids!

You guys are class acts:)