If Carnival Can Do It, Why Can't Celebrity Do It?

ChucktownSteve

As a recent first time ever cruiser, I was appalled at the waste of paper EVERY day on Celebrity - as I'm sure most other cruise lines do too. They would save a huge amount of money by not printing (often in color) the pages and pages of "news"/schedules/ menus, etc....every day. That was actually one of my suggestions when I left the ship - they need to get with the times and start conserving paper/ink/etc. I have been at resorts where they have apps, and they work very well. There's no pressure to use the app, but it's there for those who wish to use it. I, personally, would much rather look at the daily schedule on the in room tv or my own device. (if the wifi was free or at least reasonable). We are from Eastern Canada and in later years, everything has been recycle! recycle! recycle! and conserve waste. The amount of paper and ink used every single day appalled me onboard. Perhaps some think this is a luxury - to me it is just waste.

Looks like a great idea - the world is changing and Apps/smartphones/tablets are the train for our journey.

However, I doubt very much whether the Celebrity IT team would be capable of putting this together having seen the state of their current IT and the way it (doesn't) work.

Also - you would need an Internet package for this to be of any use.

Also - as I work in IT myself, I go on holiday to get away from all that information overload, technology etc etc etc... My phone will be in the safe and switched off.

:-)

Looks like a great idea - the world is changing and Apps/smartphones/tablets are the train for our journey.

However, I doubt very much whether the Celebrity IT team would be capable of putting this together having seen the state of their current IT and the way it (doesn't) work.

Also - you would need an Internet package for this to be of any use.

Also - as I work in IT myself, I go on holiday to get away from all that information overload, technology etc etc etc... My phone will be in the safe and switched off.

:-)

The one that Princess has that I think is only available on their two newest ships doesn't need an internet package to work.

It would need to use something to connect to the servers if the data is updated on the app at all during the cruise - it might be that the connection the app uses is free then.

It think it relies on an intranet connection rather than an internet. Haven't used it yet but sounds interesting. I'd really like to have the dailies on my phone.

I like the idea of an app, but it's not going to save a single piece of paper.

Too many people will be on board without the app or capable phone, so they will just have to as part of the normal routine pass out the dailies to all cabins, it'd get too complicated to take tally of who wants them and not.

I enjoy getting back to the cabin late night and grabbing my highlighter and reading the next day's schedules and marking what I want to do.

It would need to use something to connect to the servers if the data is updated on the app at all during the cruise - it might be that the connection the app uses is free then.

Back-end talks to the cruise ship's data--badly, I might add, at least when I tried to use NCL's similar offering--front-end talks to the app/device on the intranet.

I like the idea of an app, but it's not going to save a single piece of paper.

Too many people will be on board without the app or capable phone, so they will just have to as part of the normal routine pass out the dailies to all cabins, it'd get too complicated to take tally of who wants them and not.

I enjoy getting back to the cabin late night and grabbing my highlighter and reading the next day's schedules and marking what I want to do.

First step would be to stop delivery to each cabin and just put them out at centralized points. It would be trial and error for awhile but eventually you can wean people off hardcopy stuff.

First step would be to stop delivery to each cabin and just put them out at centralized points. It would be trial and error for awhile but eventually you can wean people off hardcopy stuff.

I can hear the screams of protest from here!!! :D

I can hear the screams of protest from here!!! :D

Followed by arbitrary allusions to the Titanic about thirty seconds later, because nothing is more relevant to today's cruising industry than a ship that sailed so long ago women weren't even allowed to vote.

Followed by arbitrary allusions to the Titanic about thirty seconds later, because nothing is more relevant to today's cruising industry than a ship that sailed so long ago women weren't even allowed to vote.

Or as some posters would call it: "the good old days!" ;)

I know this sounds odd but, even in this day and age, there are people who don't own smartphones... :eek:

I know that's a legitimate issue, and there are plenty of others who wouldn't want to carry their phone because they're on vacation (I actually do this from time-to-time). But if the discussion is about getting rid of the excessive use of paper, it would be much easier to have those people who want a paper copy of the daily rag seek one out versus the current default position of providing them to every stateroom every day. Right now, it appears that you cannot even opt out of receiving the paper copy. Even if you could, the ship staff is still printing enough for every room. Seems like low-hanging fruit to pick this as the area where they could effect the most change in the shortest amount of time.

I know this sounds odd but, even in this day and age, there are people who don't own smartphones... :eek:

Yes, so there would need be a hard copy alternative.

As cleguy mentioned, there are also people who have the technology, but who prefer hard copy when it comes to reading and highlighting the next day's activities. I understand that. For researching purposes, I prefer hard copy that I can scribble in the margins of. :) I know there are e-alternatives for that, but ...

I think the important issue here is that there are options. There are lots of great reasons for Celebrity to keep in step with the evolving technology.

Disney Cruise Line has rolled out this kind of app. I've used it a few times. It was ok but even as a 20-something I preferred the hard copy and my phone stashed in the safe.

I wish they would cut down on paper by cutting down on the flyers in my room. Those are a much larger stack than my daily times guide, whatever the cruise line.

I wish they would cut down on paper by cutting down on the flyers in my room. Those are a much larger stack than my daily times guide, whatever the cruise line.

It's been proffered on here that because these are vendors who are doing the flyers and not the cruise line, there is little that can be done to address this. I don't know that I buy that in full--certainly something that could be added to a contract the next time it's up for renewal. Or they could limit it to one daily flyer that includes info for every vendor--miss the cutoff for inclusion and you're SOL.

It's been proffered on here that because these are vendors who are doing the flyers and not the cruise line, there is little that can be done to address this. I don't know that I buy that in full--certainly something that could be added to a contract the next time it's up for renewal. Or they could limit it to one daily flyer that includes info for every vendor--miss the cutoff for inclusion and you're SOL.

Truth of the matter is, if vendors were not getting a reasonable number of people coming in with the flyers, they would stop, as it is costing them a lot of time effort, paper, and ink to do it. If there was no return on that expenditure, they'd save the expense. Think how much time it takes to just stuff envelopes and affix labels.

More people enjoy the daily mail than get mad about the deluge of paper.

Also, all the paper on the ships is recycled, as with all materials. Drop in any trash can, down below they sort all the garbage, and paper ends up being recycled to be reused someday by someone.

I've been a 3rd party vendor in other businesses, they typically have to pay a percent of gross sales with little to no regard for the expense they incur, that is offset to a guarantee (that is, they pay $X.XX versus XX.X%, whichever is larger), plus expenses they incur are generally ignored in calculations to operate the concessions. They do run on rather slim margins given the costs of operating in a transient environment.

People worried about the environment, would do far more to reuse towels, and ask for linens to not be changed and cabin to not be cleaned which saves water production, chemicals, and wear and tear on the linens making them last longer before needing replaced. Skip MDR and use the buffet, to prevent the waste of buffet food.

People worried about the environment, would do far more to reuse towels, and ask for linens to not be changed and cabin to not be cleaned which saves water production, chemicals, and wear and tear on the linens making them last longer before needing replaced. Skip MDR and use the buffet, to prevent the waste of buffet food.

Don't forget to stop showering too. :p

Right! Don't want to let those little gals get too uppity!

For that remark, I'll make it my first priority onboard to organize a flash mob to make you walk the plank! :D

With the ... you know ... new Celebrity app.

Edited by CanadianDee

For that remark, I'll make it my first priority onboard to organize a flash mob to make you walk the plank! :D

With the ... you know ... new Celebrity app.

The lack of knowing your gender, or knowing if you know my gender, or what levels of irony we're both engaging in ... just makes it that much more fun, I guess. But I want to be in your flash mob. I'll provide tech support.