Why cant CCL sail from NYC during winter months?

Vitamin_Sea

I don't think they were selling out the Splendor.

Made more sense to move her to Miami.

Living in New England my entire life (groan), I kind of get it.

I personally wouldn't want to sail out of NYC in the dead of winter.

You will freeze the first two days going down, and the last two days coming back.

That is not an enjoyable cruise to me.

I'd rather sail out of Miami/Florida.:D:D

It baffles me why anyone would want to cruise up here in the winter. I live in NH and we had weeks of temps in the negatives this past winter. I don't think I would enjoy sunbathing in -13 weather.

I'm guessing this explanation and the economics of doing other more southerly itin's in the winter is the reason. I used to travel to NYC a lot on business and I cannot remember how many times the Hudson was nearly frozen over in January-February and the weather in the NE just miserable. I cannot imagine getting on a cruise ship and having the first several and last several days being cold, cold, cold - any more than I can imagine anyone wanting to visit where I live this time of year. :(

Understand about the airfare but you spend most of the time at sea in cold weather to go to Nassau or Port Canaveral on a 7 day cruise. There's not many places you can get to on a 7 day roundtrip. There just isn't the demand and money there for that in the winter.

It baffles me why anyone would want to cruise up here in the winter. I live in NH and we had weeks of temps in the negatives this past winter. I don't think I would enjoy sunbathing in -13 weather.

Agreed. I live here and refuse to sail from NYC in warmer weather, let alone in a frigid NYC winter.

The weather is only half of my issue though. The itineraries are generally horrible.

I think RCCL and NCL both pushed Carnival out, both dominate the Bermuda market. One sails to the Bahamas the other does long Caribbean cruises. A smaller ship like a Spirit Class ship could probably work, as seen before but new ships is what is being pushed.

Just my two cents is all. :)

I live in NH also. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to sail out of the Northeast during the winter.

I live here and know plenty of people who cruise from nyc. Their argument is that they are saving a lot on airfare and there is enough to do on the ship... i would never... having said that i could not afford cruising and air fare. Lucky for me i love road trips and come down to Fl at least twice a year to see my mom.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

As a New Yorker and someone who likes to cruise, that's my perennial complaint as well! I actually think the tri-state market is deep enough to support more cruises out of NYC in the winter. I think people would understand that it would be more an indoors kind of cruise particularly if it was crummy weather in the northeast, but hey its still a cruise! When we went to Alaska in 2011, it was the second half of August, supposed to be great weather and guess what - we had rain almost the whole week and Juneau was freezing! We had a lovely balcony and barely used it, but we still had a great time and loved the ship and the experience. I think the cruise lines would also attract a lot more locals to cruising this way.

As a New Yorker and someone who likes to cruise, that's my perennial complaint as well! I actually think the tri-state market is deep enough to support more cruises out of NYC in the winter. I think people would understand that it would be more an indoors kind of cruise particularly if it was crummy weather in the northeast, but hey its still a cruise! When we went to Alaska in 2011, it was the second half of August, supposed to be great weather and guess what - we had rain almost the whole week and Juneau was freezing! We had a lovely balcony and barely used it, but we still had a great time and loved the ship and the experience. I think the cruise lines would also attract a lot more locals to cruising this way.

For some reason Carnival is using older ships to compete against much newer ships run by their competition.

When we cruise in the winter we do it to get away from cold weather. 8 days of warm weather out of Florida so much better than losing two days each way.

Have sailed out of NY and MD multiple times in the winter. By middle of the first full day (most of the time) you are off the coast of the Carolinas and it is significantly warmer - shorts and tee shirt temps to me;).

I like doing the longer runs out of these areas in the winter (9+ days). Yes there are multiple sea days at the end and beginning of the cruise, but the days at the beginning give you time to explore the ship before you hit your first port and the days at the end give you time to re-energize before you return to the port of sailing (oh don't forget to do the things you missed on the way down:D). The crew is used to the beginning and the end of the trips having heavier inside load and make plans for it.

JMHO - YMMV:p

Two years ago, when the Splendor sailed out of NY in the winter, they were almost giving the cabins away.

For a NYer...it's cheaper to live on the ship for a week than at home.

I have a friend who was "a regular" on NCL Gem last winter because it was so cheap. (He went just about every other sailing.)

But....if you want a warm weather vacation....sailing out of NYC in the winter isn't it.

Added:

Another issue is getting to the ship. There were days last winter where I (who live about a 5 minute cab ride from the port) couldn't have made it because the streets were like skating rinks...and getting a cab would have been impossible.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Besides the cold weather the seas are traditionally bad. I am from Baltimore and would never think of going out of there in January.

We have sailed in jan 2014... Seas smooth as can be. Was an 8nt cruise.

Although we had a couple cold days it was still great and affordable.

Splendor has the roof over Lido.

I don't think they were selling out the Splendor.

Made more sense to move her to Miami.

Living in New England my entire life (groan), I kind of get it.

You will freeze the first two days going down, and the last two days coming back.

DITTO!! That is exactly why we chose not to sail of NYC as well in winter.....several days going and coming back in the freezing COLD!! Nope, not our idea of the ideal cruise either...LOL!

Hi KPfromCT :)

I agree. The 1st two days & last 2 days are a lil rough.

Here is the Splendor in New York in the thick of winter.

1s_zps9c009c50.jpg

:eek: