Celebrity Infinity Dec. 5, 2015

bobnjeff

Martini bar is our usual hangout before dinner but we'll stop by the cellar maters for sure. As I said before, we've never don't comfortable approaching the guys at these "events" and you far outnumber the women, as we're afraid to approach the "wrong" people at the martini bar ("are they here for the LGBT meetup?", "I'm not sure" right before their wives show up....

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jeff.

Bryan and Roger, we'd appreciate to hear more about the canal crossing. I've read nothing about it. Any tips or recommendations that you'd like to share with first timers?

Here is a pic of a group of us at the LGBT greet and meet at the Millennium's Cellar Masters. If you see us before the first meet and greet, come by and say hi!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151636788284434&l=93b0ee0fd4

Thom

Hi Thom, Brain, Roger and Bryan .... thanks for posting this, I would have had a big complex thinking all are avoiding me at the martini bar and I don't even like martinis! Looking for forward to meeting everyone in a few months.

Jeff

:eek: NEVER! :)

Bryan

Thanks for the warm welcome, Jeff.

Bryan and Roger, we'd appreciate to hear more about the canal crossing. I've read nothing about it. Any tips or recommendations that you'd like to share with first timers?

Here is a pic of a group of us at the LGBT greet and meet at the Millennium's Cellar Masters. If you see us before the first meet and greet, come by and say hi!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151636788284434&l=93b0ee0fd4

Thom

Hello there Thom. Ok, firstly everyone. Roger was my husband and I lost him 3 years ago. :( I have not changed our name and don’t know if I will. Probably not. I change things to my name when I am forced.

Ok the canal. As I stated, I do not get out of bed early for much. Roger forced me. He always awoke with the sun. :eek: Silly day person. I will say I am glad he did. I was impressed and loved every minute.

You get up early. I’m taking when most of us night owls are going to bed. I’d say 5 AM the latest. I tell people this and most freak at the idea. But I did it twice! The second time was MY doing. Since then, I get up when I get up. Been there, done that, tee shirt etc. Go up to the lounge and GRAB your seat in the front. There will be people already there. Trust me on this.

I think going east to west is the best since the sun is behind you. You can see any ships in front of you rising up in the canals in front of you. Once the sun is up and we’ve passed through a canal or so, IF you want, you can then go to deck 6, I believe it is, and actually touch the gates. Watch out for the tar. If I recall, there is only 6 inches of space on each side. After that, you can go around the ship and see it from various points. I’d say go back to bed! Lol. I WAS IMPRESSED!

629246815_1bryanlogo.jpg.1e2e6bf3800617c04e7d18ad05c8f09d.jpg

Hello there Thom. Ok, firstly everyone. Roger was my husband and I lost him 3 years ago. :( I have not changed our name and don’t know if I will. Probably not. I change things to my name when I am forced.

Ok the canal. As I stated, I do not get out of bed early for much. Roger forced me. He always awoke with the sun. :eek: Silly day person. I will say I am glad he did. I was impressed and loved every minute.

You get up early. I’m taking when most of us night owls are going to bed. I’d say 5 AM the latest. I tell people this and most freak at the idea. But I did it twice! The second time was MY doing. Since then, I get up when I get up. Been there, done that, tee shirt etc. Go up to the lounge and GRAB your seat in the front. There will be people already there. Trust me on this.

I think going east to west is the best since the sun is behind you. You can see any ships in front of you rising up in the canals in front of you. Once the sun is up and we’ve passed through a canal or so, IF you want, you can then go to deck 6, I believe it is, and actually touch the gates. Watch out for the tar. If I recall, there is only 6 inches of space on each side. After that, you can go around the ship and see it from various points. I’d say go back to bed! Lol. I WAS IMPRESSED!

Hi Bryan

Sorry to hear about Roger's passing.

Thanks for sharing your insights into the Panama Canal experience. Grabbing a seat in the air conditioned lounge sounds tempting - based on what I heard about the scorching sun and heat - but I think I'll be able to take better photos from the helipad and upper decks. Decisions, decisions...

I found a neat account online from a young couple on their experience onboard the Infinity doing the Panama Canal crossing [link].

Night owl? Who, me? Just because I'm typing this after 2:00 AM? Nah. :D

Thom

Hi again all, Vince here, posting under my blog name instead of my partner Mike's. Exciting to see our pre-sail chat group is growing, and everyone is getting psyched for the trip. Martini or Wine, is there a bad choice here? Lol. We have plenty of days to try both if we want, although we have seen in recent cruises it is a bit of a challenge for the FOD group to keep dibs on the martini side bar... All those boring straight couples always want in on our party, lol.

I started another one since I could not see this one. AS I SAID ABOUT COFFEE.

Hey Vince and Mike.

Thanks for pointing this one out to me Thom.

I agree about moving to a place where we can chat etc. I'll read these now and catch up.

For those who have not done the canal before............it is amazing. This is from someone who does not like to get up before the sun comes up. And for the canal, one should get upstairs early. :eek:

We will heed Bryan's words here, and A. Get to bed early the night before and be up at the crack of dawn to get a good seat, refreshed and ready, or B. Just stay up from drinking and dancing the night before and show up looking like a hot mess. Not sure which it will be, but we won't miss the big event!

Based on a past cruisers advice and recommendation on a different roll call I read "Path Between the Seas". It's really interesting history on the canal and more that really peaked my interest. It's not a super fast read but could be read between now and the cruise.

I hope we don't hit the locks too early, but aren't there locks on both sides? I also end up getting up early to see us arrive in port, etc, a bit like a giddy school girl, though Dee says there is nothing giddy about me. I plan to watch most of it from our aft balcony and put the ship cam on a TV (on the balcony) to see the front at the same time, but I'm sure I'll go forward to the helipad at some point just to make sure I'm not missing anything even though we did book an aft balcony just for the canal crossing.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

Hi Bryan

Sorry to hear about Roger's passing.

Thanks for sharing your insights into the Panama Canal experience. Grabbing a seat in the air conditioned lounge sounds tempting - based on what I heard about the scorching sun and heat - but I think I'll be able to take better photos from the helipad and upper decks. Decisions, decisions...

I found a neat account online from a young couple on their experience onboard the Infinity doing the Panama Canal crossing [link].

Night owl? Who, me? Just because I'm typing this after 2:00 AM? Nah. :D

Thom

Thank you Thom. One day at a time.

I would say, I think the link you sent has it about right for the canal. It is amazing. I am sure you'll love it. My friends will probably get up for it but I WILL BE IN MY CUTE LITTLE BED dreaming of my next future ex-husband. :eek: Whoever he is. Where ever he is. lol.

Bryan

We finally got around to checking in, and printing our Xpress-Pass tonight. Still can't order luggage tags for 2 and a half weeks or so. I still haven't booked our flights down to FLL, so we'll see about that soon. I have a bunch of other business trips to book first and we _may_ drive down anyway, we'll see.

Oh and it looks like we have a few singles, maybe this will turn into the "Love Boat"? :eek: :D

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

I'm organizing a tour in Manta called "Montecristi & Pacoche". It is a 4-5 hour tour on a mini bus (small group size) with a bilingual guide that includes a visit to (1) the fish market and (2) the boat builders in Manta, before heading to (3) Montecristi, a town renowned for the production of Panama hats, and finally going to (4) Pacoche Forest to experience the local wild life, which includes howler monkeys, panthers, sloths, and other animals.

The cost per person is $50.00, plus $20.00 entrance fee at Pacoche Forest that covers the entire group to be split among all participants. The goal is a group of 8 people, which will bring the total price to $52.50 per person.

The tour operator is Manta SOS Guide, rated the #2 tour operator in Manta according to TripAdvisor.

Click here for tour details and here for reviews of Manta SOS tour operator in TripAdvisor.

If you are interested, please send me an email at <my user id>@gmail.com.

Thom

Edited by tjunmin

I'm organizing a tour in Manta called "Montecristi & Pacoche". It is a 4-5 hour tour on a mini bus (small group size) with a bilingual guide that includes a visit to (1) the fish market and (2) the boat builders in Manta, before heading to (3) Montecristi, a town renowned for the production of Panama hats, and finally going to (4) Pacoche Forest to experience the local wild life, which includes howler monkeys, panthers, sloths, and other animals.

The cost per person is $50.00, plus $20.00 entrance fee at Pacoche Forest that covers the entire group to be split among all participants. The goal is a group of 8 people, which will bring the total price to $52.50 per person.

The tour operator is Manta SOS Guide, rated the #2 tour operator in Manta according to TripAdvisor.

Click here for tour details and here for reviews of Manta SOS tour operator in TripAdvisor.

If you are interested, please send me an email at <my user id>@gmail.com.

Thom

Hi guys and Jenna!

I've been traveling for work over the last couple days and looks like I missed a few postings. Right now I have nothing planned for that port so, Thom I might be interested if there's still space? ( obviously no problem if there is not ) I'll take a look at the link and send you an email. I have to say I am excited, you all sound like a nice group of people to be taking this trip with.

Brian, sorry to hear about Rogers passing as well.

I've been traveling for work over the last couple days and looks like I missed a few postings. Right now I have nothing planned for that port so, Thom I might be interested if there's still space? ( obviously no problem if there is not ) I'll take a look at the link and send you an email. I have to say I am excited, you all sound like a nice group of people to be taking this trip with.

Hello Jeff

Hope you had a great weekend. Yesterday I went hiking with friends to see the fall colors at one of our provincial parks (Algonquin).

Thanks for inquiring about the Manta tour. Unfortunately I'll no longer organize the tour, due to the lack of interest. I contacted the tour operator and got the last two seats of a group that someone else had already organized with the same itinerary. You might want to contact them; someone might have cancelled in the group I joined, or they might have started a new group. Alternatively, I Jenna is also organizing a tour in Manta, although the itinerary is quite different.

Thom

Hey all,

Does anyone know what the dress standards are like on these celebrity cruises? I'm a casual dresser and not big on dressing up. Shorts, jeans etc. Seeing Tjumin's photo has got me feeling worried that I'll be underdressed. May need to go out and buy some new clothes.

Cheers

Hello Jeff

Hope you had a great weekend. Yesterday I went hiking with friends to see the fall colors at one of our provincial parks (Algonquin).

Thanks for inquiring about the Manta tour. Unfortunately I'll no longer organize the tour, due to the lack of interest. I contacted the tour operator and got the last two seats of a group that someone else had already organized with the same itinerary. You might want to contact them; someone might have cancelled in the group I joined, or they might have started a new group. Alternatively, I Jenna is also organizing a tour in Manta, although the itinerary is quite different.

Thom

Thanks Thom for the update! The only thing I have a problem getting my head around on the Manta tour is the whole mud thing :)

Hey all,

Does anyone know what the dress standards are like on these celebrity cruises? I'm a casual dresser and not big on dressing up. Shorts, jeans etc. Seeing Tjumin's photo has got me feeling worried that I'll be underdressed. May need to go out and buy some new clothes.

Cheers

Good Evening!

I have been on only one other Celebrity cruise, it was a transatlantic. People had on what I would call "business casual" for dinner's and did have on a suite or tux for the 3 formal nights.

Does anyone know what the dress standards are like on these celebrity cruises? I'm a casual dresser and not big on dressing up. Shorts, jeans etc. Seeing Tjunmin's photo has got me feeling worried that I'll be underdressed. May need to go out and buy some new clothes.

Hi Wayne and Rodd

You will find the Celebrity evening dress code here.

The photo in question was taken on formal night. We don't go to dinner dressed like that every evening. We are naturally fabulous. :D:p

Thom

Edited by tjunmin

Thanks Thom for the update! The only thing I have a problem getting my head around on the Manta tour is the whole mud thing :)

Hi Jeff

Our friends Don and Greg just contacted me last night - after I posted my reply to you - and they are also interested in the Manta tour. I got in touch with the tour operator and they said they are considering starting a new group. No promises though. If you wish, I'll keep you updated.

Thom

Hey all,

Cheers

There is a thread on the main celebrity board, which is a sticky at the top. The top of that thread has some good explanations. The rest is a big debate over evening dress codes, mainly formal nights. I urge you not to even try and read the thread past the first few pages.

Here is a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2113872

Here is a link to the official Celebrity policy:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/onboard-proper-dining-attire?tab=none

Here is a link to the description of the dress code in the Celebrity FAQ:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq478

Basically, there are two dress codes in the evening, which apply to the Main Dining Room, specialty restaurants, and supposedly the theater.

Smart Casual and Formal

Smart Casual applies every night in specialty restaurants, including Blu and Luminae. All nights except for three in the Main Dinning Room are smart Casual. To Ocean View cafe (Buffet is supposedly smart casual or casual in the evening).

On smart casual nights, basically, you will find most guests smartly dressed. Women in dresses, pants, and nice blouses, men in slacks and collared shirts. Jeans without rips (stains?) are fine and within the dresscode. Some men will wear jackets most nights, but this will be more rare. You will not see many, if any men in shorts on Smart Casual nights. You may see some flip flops, but those would be outside the dress code. Most women will be in casual dress shoes or sandals. Men in shoes.

On Formal nights (three, in the Main Dining Room), you'll see some cocktail dresses, some gowns, some dressy pant suits on women and most men in jacktets, many with ties, some in suits and tuxes. You _may_ get turned away or be offered a jacket on formal nights if you don't wear one, in the Main Dining room only, but this is probably unlikely. You can go to a specialty restaurant or the Ocean View Cafe in Smart Casual, even on a "Formal" Night. Remember, you will see a majority of people around the ship dressed this way, but as the night goes on, if people are up, many will dress back down, but still be smartly dressed.

Outside of the dining rooms you will find a mix of dress around the ship, but most will be "smartly" dressed regardless of the night, but of course, like anything it will vary.

I'd say, dress what you'd feel comfortable traveling to "Western" countries and dining in "upscale" restaurants on vacation.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi Wayne and Rodd

You will find the Celebrity evening dress code here.

The photo in question was taken on formal night. We don't go to dinner dressed like that every evening. We are naturally fabulous. :D:p

Thom

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to this cruise now. At the point where it's close but still too far away and time slows when I think about it! :)

It took me a little while to create that reply, while everyone else replied before I finished (watching the voice :) ). I didn't realize this was going to the group it was, but it still applies. Sorry to be so long winded!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

It took me a little while to create that reply, while everyone else replied before I finished (watching the voice :) ). I didn't realize this was going to the group it was, but it still applies. Sorry to be so long winded!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi Jenna!

You postings are great .... I learn a lot, the posts help me understand this "cruising" world. Thank you!!!

PS ... I have been looking up mud baths. a lot of postings of people that love them ... who knew!!!

Jeff

Our friends Don and Greg just contacted me last night - after I posted my reply to you - and they are also interested in the Manta tour. I got in touch with the tour operator and they said they are considering starting a new group. No promises though. If you wish, I'll keep you updated.

Hi Jeff

The tour operator opened a new group. I moved our reservation to the new group. Our friends Don and Greg are in the new group as well. If you wish to join us, send me an email at <my_user_id>@gmail.com, and I'll put you in touch with the tour operator to finalize the reservation. No pressure; if you prefer to experience the mud baths, let us know later how it was. :)

Thom