For those who say, "But Disney has a much better policy!"

Disney's alcohol policy is about to drastically change, and it will now closely mirror what Royal Caribbean allows:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2015/08/disney-cruise-lines-revising-alcohol-policy-corkage-fee-effective-9302015/

No more liquor.

Same two bottles of wine.

Disney charges a corkage fee - Royal does not.

Disney's alcohol policy is about to drastically change, and it will now closely mirror what Royal Caribbean allows:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2015/08/disney-cruise-lines-revising-alcohol-policy-corkage-fee-effective-9302015/

No more liquor.

The big difference I see in the two is that Disney will allow two bottles of wine PER GUEST and a six pack of beer per guest.. Royal, of course, as you already know allows two bottles per cabin.

Disney will also allow carry on wine and 6 pack of beer at each port of call too. Royal of course only allows carry on wine boarding day.

Edited by ryano

The big difference I see in the two is that Disney will allow two bottles of wine PER GUEST and a six pack of beer per guest.. Royal, of course, as you already know allows two bottles per cabin.

Disney will also allow carry on wine and 6 pack of beer at each port of call too. Royal of course only allows carry on wine boarding day.

So on a cruise with 3 stops, a cabin with two adults is restricted to two cases of beer and 16 bottles of wine. Somehow that seems like it should be plenty.

No more liquor.

It's not really "same two bottles of wine". It's two per guest, per port!

We have sailed Disney many times and I have to say I have not paid any more for Disney than I am paying for our Allure cruise in December. :D

I find that very hard to believe if you are sailing the same category cabin on both lines. Just a quick look at Disney and Allure this December shows similar cruise and cabin costs $1300 more pp on Disney v Allure.

I find that very hard to believe if you are sailing the same category cabin on both lines. Just a quick look at Disney and Allure this December shows similar cruise and cabin costs $1300 more pp on Disney v Allure.

Booking 12 months in advance balcony cabin for 3 - Disney was $3200 - Allure for a slightly smaller cabin but still a balcony I'm paying $3000. Disney is about timing when booking as is Royal. We have sailed on Disney 20+ times and I've never paid more than $3600 for 3 in a balcony :D We always sail the 3rd week in May (adjust to avoid Memorial Day) and the 1st week of December, both of these weeks seem to price very well year after year. I should also add that last minute deals on Disney are abundant if you can book/pay and sail 30 days prior to sailings.

Edited by 2thesea

We have sailed Disney many times and I have to say I have not paid any more for Disney than I am paying for our Allure cruise in December. :D

Well I could sort of say that, too.

Except that our Disney cruises are 3 or 4 nights.

Our Royal cruises were 5 and 7 nights.

Bit of a value difference there.

We will only cruise DCL if we get a decent price, though. So our cruise prices aren't necessarily indicative of all DCL cruises, since we are self-selecting out of the insanely priced ones.

We will only cruise DCL if we get a decent price, though. So our cruise prices aren't necessarily indicative of all DCL cruises, since we are self-selecting out of the insanely priced ones.

Our Disney cruises have been 7 night cruises :D

It's not really "same two bottles of wine". It's two per guest, per port!

OOOOOOOOOOOOkay. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

The issue was that "Disney lets us take on liquor! Why doesn't RC????"

Well, now Disney WON'T.

(and Disney is still charging $25 per bottle corkage fee if you take your bottles into a restaurant. RC does not)

So on a cruise with 3 stops, a cabin with two adults is restricted to two cases of beer and 16 bottles of wine. Somehow that seems like it should be plenty.

Each Guest 21 years and older may bring two bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) or six beers (no larger than 12oz) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.

That's still a ton of alcohol!

no Dr. Pepper. It seems a shame, what's a Texan to do on the Liberty of the Seas after she's moved to Galveston for a liquid soda refreshment? No Dr. Pepper, yucky. it's just not right.

Let me get this straight, I can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin on board, but no Dr. Pepper. I think it will be interesting to see how many of us will be having withdrawal symptoms on board. I wonder how many of us will get called to the naughty room for trying to smuggle that granddaddy of all sodas onto the ship. I hear many Texans will not travel without it.

I'm thinking this could be a new subject for a new thread.

Winnie

no Dr. Pepper. It seems a shame, what's a Texan to do on the Liberty of the Seas after she's moved to Galveston for a liquid soda refreshment? No Dr. Pepper, yucky. it's just not right.

Let me get this straight, I can bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin on board, but no Dr. Pepper. I think it will be interesting to see how many of us will be having withdrawal symptoms on board. I wonder how many of us will get called to the naughty room for trying to smuggle that granddaddy of all sodas onto the ship. I hear many Texans will not travel without it.

Winnie

Winnie, people carry on soda ALL THE TIME.

Winnie

I've taken multiple Royal Caribbean cruises from Galveston, and seen people toting cases of water and/or their soft drink of choice every time. If you can't live without your Dr. Pepper by all means take it, but make sure you carry it on...don't put it in checked baggage.

I agree. Disney prices are substantially higher. I have yet to see a DCL cruise

at even close the price of RCCL for similar cabins. Don't get me wrong, I would love to give Disney a second try. Just not at their inflated prices.

(and Disney is still charging $25 per bottle corkage fee if you take your bottles into a restaurant. RC does not)

I have 0 problems with this. Could you imagine walking into a restaurant around town with your own bottle of wine and having that instead of drinking what they provide? Most places would kick you right out.

You want to drink that much wine that badly, just buy the beer & wine drink plan.

OOOOOOOOOOOOkay. I should have chosen my words more carefully.

The issue was that "Disney lets us take on liquor! Why doesn't RC????"

Well, now Disney WON'T.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOkay, but isn't 2 cases of beer and 6-8 bottles of wine 'per person' enough to satisfy?:D

Seriously, every cruise line has their pluses and minuses.

Disney is better then RCL in some areas, and RCL is better then Disney in others!

Happy cruising on your favorite.:)

Except it has to be carried aboard. A bottle of liquor works for two guests, and is easier to transport.

No interest in Disney for me, but it is a pretty drastic turnaround. Plus, between the fare and the overplayed Frozen soundtrack, they should allow folks their booze.