Stateroom attendant?

dreday3

I've seen this term a few times on here. What exactly is a stateroom attendant? Do you meet them personally? Or is it like housekeeping? Is this who you would ask for extra towels or call front desk? We just have a regular balcony room, does that make a difference?

First cruise and I want to make sure we don't accidentally insult someone! :p

Once you meet your cabin attendant (oops, I just checked our last cruise paperwork and they are called "stateroom attendants"), s/he will give you their business card with their name and number. If you need anything, just give that number a call, if you don't see them during the day (which you will several times a day)!

We usually meet our Cabin Steward, Room Attendant soon after we get to our room, they generally come around to introduce themselves once our room is ready on embarkation day and always greet you with a hello during the day if present near your room. If you see their cart in the hall and have a question or request, feel free to stop by the room they are cleaning to ask him/her or leave a sticky note on the desk.

Just off Freedom, and I am sad to say that while our stateroom attendant did the job great as required, she was not like any of our other ones!

She wouldn't empty the fridge of its "minibar" contents.

While this is NOT a job that's a deal-killer, we have so loved the towel animals every evening and it is something we totally get a kick out of on our cruises. We got 3. I even asked for more, but no.

Somehow the beds were together in all 3 of the cabins I booked, even though all last names were different and huge age differences. When requesting them separated, we had to wait until Day 2. No idea if that was anything to do with her, but it was odd.

I told her two times we don't need a second cruise compass in German, but our friends next door do need it in German (which they ended up getting). We kept getting them, and one day in French instead. Not a big deal, but really?

USUALLY, they are spectacular. Doing and saying all the wonderful things described in this thread. They work long hours and do great jobs.

Just off Freedom, and I am sad to say that while our stateroom attendant did the job great as required, she was not like any of our other ones! ...She wouldn't empty the fridge of its "minibar" contents...

This is not her job. The Bar Services staff would be the ones who take care of the fridge and its contents; it was not her job to touch the items in there or move them for you. No offense, but it takes less than 30 seconds to move the cans and snacks yourself and leave a note that you have done so, so you aren't charged for anything. Just saying. :)

Sorry you were displeased with her service overall.

Just off Freedom, and I am sad to say that while our stateroom attendant did the job great as required, she was not like any of our other ones!

She wouldn't empty the fridge of its "minibar" contents.

While this is NOT a job that's a deal-killer, we have so loved the towel animals every evening and it is something we totally get a kick out of on our cruises. We got 3. I even asked for more, but no.

Somehow the beds were together in all 3 of the cabins I booked, even though all last names were different and huge age differences. When requesting them separated, we had to wait until Day 2. No idea if that was anything to do with her, but it was odd.

I told her two times we don't need a second cruise compass in German, but our friends next door do need it in German (which they ended up getting). We kept getting them, and one day in French instead. Not a big deal, but really?

USUALLY, they are spectacular. Doing and saying all the wonderful things described in this thread. They work long hours and do great jobs.

We were told by the stateroom attendants on our hall that towel animals have been cut to every other night because of the time involved.

We have had very good room stewards on every cruise. When they come and introduce themselves, I show myself very friendly and we hit it right off. One of my best room steward memories is from on my very first cruise on Sovereign. As soon as the rooms were ready and we went there our Room Steward Stanley from Jamaica came in and greeted us. He had a deep Jamaican accent. When he said "I am Stanley from Jamaica", I said in my best Jamaican accent impersonation that "I am Mike mon" and conversed with him with the accent. We all laughed about it and he turned out to be a fun and likable guy every time we seen him throughout the cruise.

On our Freedom cruise we had a good one also. When cleaning the room one day he accidently threw away my wife's souvenir Labadee Cup and he really felt bad about it. After two days he approached my wife and presented her with another one he came up with. he was so glad that he was able to get her another one.

On my most recent cruise on Enchantment we had Nikki from St. Vincent and that is what I called her every time I saw her.... "Nikki From St. Vincent"! She turned out to be the best room steward of all our cruises thus far. When my luggage didn't show up with my wife luggage, she researched it for me and found out that I had to go to the naughty room to get it. I got sick on this cruise with some type of stomach virus with vomiting and couldn't really eat anything the last day and a half of the cruise and even had to go to the infirmary. The night I was in my cabin in bed when my wife and the people who came on the cruise with us went out to enjoy the evening, Nikki would check on me to make sure I was alright! We told her on the 1st day that we would like to be supplied with ice and from that day she kept us supplied. Every time we came back to the room we would have a fresh bucket. As someone stated these are not your typical hotel maids who you really don't have any interaction with. I guaranty you that if you show yourself friendly they will go out of their way for you. :cool:

We had Winston on Rhapsody in 2009 (I'm assuming it was the same Winston!!!). We loved him! He was a widower with 2 young sons in boarding school and had been with RCI for 16 or so years. He was the best! :D

Sounds like the same Winston to me. He was amazing. We can't remember the name of our last two SAs, but we remember Winston from almost four years ago.

Have any of you ever told them they don't need to bother with a towel animal?

Yes, and it completely threw her off! LOL! :D I said I would never do that again because it really messed up her timetable. We still got them because she was so organized and she felt she couldn't skip a cabin. :p