Bars open on embarkation day out of Galveston

I just read in a compass posted by a recent cruiser out of Galveston that there were some alcohol restrictions on the first day. Said something about limited availability and some bar venues possibly closed until ship was in international waters . Since this is my first cruise out of Galveston, was wondering if someone could share some further information on this topic. I will have the premium package so thinking maybe better to buy on day 2?

Due to Texas law only a few bars can opened on Embarkation Day. I would guess R Bar due to its location just off of the Royal Promenade.

On sister ship Explorer the Schooner Bar was hopping on embarkation day in Bayonne, NJ prior to hear her Bahamas run last February.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I do not think the law limits the number of bars open. Rather, the ship can only sell bottles of booze with a Texas Tax stamp on it while in state waters. Untaxed bottles have to stay sealed/behind lock and key. If all bars are not open I think it is Royal's attempt to manage taxed vs untaxed drinks. As an aside, a more limited list of brands are available until the ship gets out of territory. Then the full stock comes out.

Also, no problem getting drinks, but maybe not the exact call drink you want, but it opens up pretty quick after sail-away. And the alcohol they do offer is not all junk brands. Good mid level stuff. I can get my usual Tanqueray and tonic... Not like it is a dry ship until late. I had a package on day one my last Galveston sailing.

Edited by Doug S

It still worth getting the package, I think, you still can drink just what you drink was limited , best scotch was 8 year old Dewars, mostly house vodka , gin etc, But about 6pm everything is back to normal and you can drink anything

I just read in a compass posted by a recent cruiser out of Galveston that there were some alcohol restrictions on the first day. Said something about limited availability and some bar venues possibly closed until ship was in international waters . Since this is my first cruise out of Galveston, was wondering if someone could share some further information on this topic. I will have the premium package so thinking maybe better to buy on day 2?

well the limited bars open is universal until after sail away. Pool bar definitely is open and I think Vintages was(* the Pub IIRC opened at Sailaway) with at least one of the other lounges serving immediately..

the restrictions end right around first dinner seating once they get far enough out. yes it is a limited menu but it is not THAT bad( although the lack of Jack Daniels the first night in the CL was rather..upsetting..to Mr Spook)

it's honestly just a few hours

What they said :)

I posted the cruise compasses. No problem getting booze, just some speciality brands were not available. As someone above mentioned, the only thing I noticed missing was Jack.

We did get our comp bottle of wine delivered on the second night on a trip last year and they used that reasoning... But this trip it was delivered in the room when we boarded. May depend a bit on inventory w/ the tax stamp?