Help with cabin selection on Solstice!

land lover

I have searched on CC and talked to 2 of X's CVPs..I've read more posts than I want to and still I am frustrated.

Have not sailed X in 8 years....the web site is terrible(I guess that has been going on for a while).

I have talked to a few TA's....their knowledge is questionable.

I have read the S thread about the cabins..and was amused by people taking about the "X" on the ships blocking balcony views, really? is it still so? The noise, obstructed views..I really have never heard so much dissatisfaction with a ship.

I booked with X for a 2017 cruise...and started out with Aqua...then did more research and changed to C then read some more now I am at a regular veranda....2A 7231...BTW price dif. was great 800+.USD pp cheaper for 2A than Aqua.

Please Help....I need some suggestions....for a veranda cabin, since the sailing is far out...I have a lot of choices, I just want to be done with this....

THanks, L:)ri

Edited by land lover

Pick one of the hump cabins if you can get the middle one can see both forward and astern. we were in 6231 in 08 great cabin. The x on balconies was a type of film you could see through it, was no problem whatsoever. Enjoy your cruise .

I loved the Solstice -- no dissatisfaction here. As a matter of fact, love the S-class overall.

One thing to note in picking your cabin, there are smoking areas on the ship (not many) that may have an affect on the enjoyment of your balcony experience. Deck 6 midship on the PORT side would be one of these locations. I won't go into too many others as don't even know if smoke would bother you, but you should be ok on the Starboard side if it does. While Aqua Class is wonderful, it is not worth $1600 more. You can purchase a lot of specialty dinners and entrance into the Persian Gardens for a lot less. The AQ deck (deck 11) only have cabins for 2 pax occupancy. While not guaranteed, this deck usually has no kids running up and down the hall or screaming in the room next door to you. So, when possible, consider booking a room that sleeps 4 as you will have cabins that sleep only 2 on either side of you.

Besides avoiding the smoking area, most people would advise to get a cabin with cabins above and below. However, we stayed on deck 6 and weren't bothered at all by noise. Plus, the S-class ships have their connecting doors in the hallway instead of in the middle of your cabin door so those are rooms I don't think you need to avoid.

For a small price for a balcony with very large balcony, 6210 (2D) and 6240 (2C) have little obstruction and are conveniently located. 6242 and 6240 both have a loud humming noise in the hallway and inside the cabin, mostly in the bathroom area. We loved it as it was similar to white noise. Would choose 6240 any day. I would, however, steer clear of those rooms right under the gym or pool deck ... or under any other high traffic area without carpet.

The concierge class and above has footstools out on your balcony as well as some other perks such as priority tendering, nicer bathroom amenities, flowers in your room, pillow menu, etc. We stayed in 1108 on the Equinox -- best stateroom ever!! Oftentimes, the concierge class adds many $$$$ to the cost and some feel the little extras aren't worth it. You do also get extra cruise points towards the captain club levels ... so those that are close may choose this option even though it costs more.

The S-class ships vary every other room, bed by the bath and bed by the balcony. If this matters to you (we love the bed by the balcony), you can check online to see which is which.

There is a fabulous spreadsheet that somebody compiled for S-class cabin reviews... made into a sticky at the top of the Celebrity forum. You can check this against rooms that are available and make a great choice. I don't book a room until I have consulted this list.

Hope this helps. I have great faith that you will find and excellent cabin that you will enjoy once onboard. Post back and let us all know of your decision and later with your experience ... but most of all, just enjoy your cruise!!

If you want a deeper balcony, the angled cabins are great. Choose the 1st or 3rd from the hump for the biggest, and you will have less wind in the aft side of the hump. There are also angled cabins towards the front of the ship, facing backwards; the ones closest forward of these has the largest balcony. We book deck 6 usually, for great value. Some of these cabins are "partially obstructed" but there is barely any obstruction...there are lifeboats just below so you might have a slight obstruction from these (or from the X on some ships), but it is so minimal. The "aft" sunset cabins have a nice view, and some have wider balconies, but it's a long walk from the elevators.

Thank u everyone ..the info and photos are very helpful.

I will check into some of your suggestions tomorrow.....I know many love the S class, I just want to make sure I make a educated decision.

Any more suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by land lover

Our preference is standard veranda midship, whether a 1A for the larger balcony (we don't like how gloomy it makes the room) or right on the flat part of the hump (great views both directions). We stayed all over the ship but having a cabin right by the midship elevators makes life so much simpler! And we don't think CC is worth it at ALL!!

Edited by CathyCruises

We were in room 7206 on the Solstice this May, for our Alaska trip. Very quiet and it has a HUGE balcony. It is on the rear of the hump so less wind, which was good in Alaska. Very close to the front elevators and still quiet, the front elevators were the least used, except for after the shows in the Theater.

We usually sat in the Theater on Deck 5, then took the stairs after the shows.

It is a 1A.