Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Yum! Only a half hour until lunch!

Mysty - lots of good advice here. Whichever way makes you the most comfortable is the best way - for you. We have gradually evolved from overpackers to "just right" - in our opinion, of course. :)

Packing light is crucial for us because we take trains, buses, subways, etc. If we didn't, we could (and might) pack more. But what works for me might not work for you. I've never taken a world cruise, and I'd probably overpack too!

Enjoy it. If deviating from your list will make you uneasy, that's no way to start a vacation. So pack away, and find someone young and strong to lug your stuff. Unfortunately I'm not that young, and I'm still working. Otherwise I'd volunteer! ;)

It's a lot of fun seeing people trying to get M to go off-liste ..... the whole idea of them is to tick things off. She will rightly take with what she will take with and she has a trusty Myster to carry and schlep.

Jeff

Those meals look amazing Jeff! I envy your ability to combine seemingly disparate ingredients into mouth-watering creations. As I mentioned before, my imagination does not allow me to do that.

J.....

Thanks for your support on the packing thing! :) I do appreciate hearing from fellow coolers. Their wisdom and advice have been very helpful. I just have trouble convincing myself to edit!

I created a spreadsheet with items to pack as rows and the available suitcases as columns. As I packed I ticked the appropriate row and column so in the end I would have an inventory by bag. Anal I know! The mathematician in me jumped to the fore! As you wisely suggested, each bag has a mix of casual, informal and formal wear for each of us. A little tricky keeping coordinating outfits together but I think I've done OK.

We'll have to see how things progress. Myster seems content to leave me to it! :)

Ok Mysty....I'm with Spins and Jeff....go with the original plan.....if you start deviating now you'll be mad if you miss anything out!

Plus....one does have to think about the added bits to bring home.....all for sending luggage on ahead too! Next April I'm sending one ahead and taking two with me...and that's only for 15 nights.....[emoji15]

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yum! Only a half hour until lunch!

Mysty - lots of good advice here. Whichever way makes you the most comfortable is the best way - for you. We have gradually evolved from overpackers to "just right" - in our opinion, of course. :)

Packing light is crucial for us because we take trains, buses, subways, etc. If we didn't, we could (and might) pack more. But what works for me might not work for you. I've never taken a world cruise, and I'd probably overpack too!

Enjoy it. If deviating from your list will make you uneasy, that's no way to start a vacation. So pack away, and find someone young and strong to lug your stuff. Unfortunately I'm not that young, and I'm still working. Otherwise I'd volunteer! ;)

Thanks JP! Normally our vacations run about 2 weeks maximum. We do very nicely with 2 bags. This adventure just blows that right out of the water! As such, it is difficult to make the choice to pare down. 2 bags for 2 weeks versus 6 bags for 16 weeks.

Ok Mysty....I'm with Spins and Jeff....go with the original plan.....if you start deviating now you'll be mad if you miss anything out!

Plus....one does have to think about the added bits to bring home.....all for sending luggage on ahead too! Next April I'm sending one ahead and taking two with me...and that's only for 15 nights.....[emoji15]

S [emoji5]

Thanks again Sophia! I am a little concerned that I will mess something up with coordinating outfits or forget something entirely. I appreciate your support! :)

M,

Take as much with you as you reasonably believe you can manage. This is a world cruise not a week or weekend away. It is better to look back and regret how much you overpacked than to be away and wished you'd taken more. If you plan transportation well you shouldn't have to over handle. On our Singapore trips for example our luggage is taken from our hall and put into the boot of the limo and the next time we physically handle it is in the Suite in Singapore. It may not end up as tight as that for you but you aren't going to suffer too much.

I really appreciate the comments about the food, I do enjoy combining disparate stuff that often look unrelated but suddenly seem right together .... this week putting Thai red curry and rice into a taco really was a moment I enjoyed. This is after all how all the great fusion food starts just like Singapore ie they like the look of what someone else is doing and merge it with the best of their own.

As I say appreciate the kind words but I think I'm going to give food piccy posting a rest now as I'm not certain why I'm continuing to do it!

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Only compromisers compromise. Compromising with someone else is annoying enough without starting to compromise with yourself.

Jeff

J....I don't do compromise very well. If pushed to the wall, I will compromise but it will not be gracious. I'm a bit like a dog with a bone. That doesn't reflect well on me but it is true!

Jeff...don't stop the foodie pics......they encourage me to do things l normally can't be bothered doing.....I've eaten more sprouts this week thanks to your delish offerings...[emoji16]

Would be nice though to see some general festive pics now that we are in the throws of the season......I'm willing to throw a few across for you to post....[emoji6][emoji15]

S [emoji2]

Jeff,

I remember a trip we were on in Hawaii that included inter-island baggage transfers. Since the bags had to be ready early, we packed them up and then went for a last swim at Waikiki beach. When we got back to the room, the bags were gone, and I realized I had packed ALL my clothes. It was my first, and so far last, time flying wearing a bathing suit (and a t-shirt & sandals).

Mark

S.... I agree with you whole-heartedly on the continuation of the food pics! Even though I don't have the skills to reproduce those gorgeous meals, I throughly enjoy the descriptions and pictures. I thereby second S's request!

Mark, that story is hilarious! I can just imagine fellow passengers' reactions to your casual attire. :)

Global Warming thought of the day ...

'Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon," said Paul Fischbeck, professor of social and decisions sciences and engineering and public policy.

Jeff,

I remember a trip we were on in Hawaii that included inter-island baggage transfers. Since the bags had to be ready early, we packed them up and then went for a last swim at Waikiki beach. When we got back to the room, the bags were gone, and I realized I had packed ALL my clothes. It was my first, and so far last, time flying wearing a bathing suit (and a t-shirt & sandals).

Mark

Mark,

You should have taken Jeff's advice! This advice probably works going home as well .....:D

Jeff

ps whats a bathing suit?

The toughest lessons are often learned the hardest way.

On our lengthy Oz and Singapore trips, I take a roll-on carry on with 24 hours+ clothing in it packed into the vacu bags. It is a habit I have got into and whilst it seems daft to many, if everything gets lost we have enough for a day or so after we arrive if everything gets lost. All my packing procedures have come about simply because I don't do suprises or bad news well and wifey knows that if it is taking the carry on as insurance and relaxing all the way and avoiding the small chance of terminal grumpiness .... then this level of "insurance" is well worthwhile.

This means that in the evnet of our luggage going missing I serenely delegate the tracking and retrieving of it to staff and get on with eating drinking and enjoying myself. Correction: Ourselves.

Jeff

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47918690&postcount=895

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Mark.....Very spiffy bathing costume! Pricey though! :)

J..... We also always pack at least one change of clothing in our carry ons. We have had luggage go missing frequently when travelling through Toronto. So far it has only been delayed and not completely lost. We're going to continue that practice with this adventure.

Morning Coolers!

I have mused long and hard over the packing question. I have decided "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"! We will not have to schlep the four ship-ahead bags. We will have to deal with the two checked bags and the four carry on bags but only from our door to the taxi and then into the airport. The 4 carry-on bags can stack and the two check bags can stack. I think we can handle it! Of course, I have been wrong before! :)

Enjoy your day!

Thanks spinnaker2! :) We sail in 20 days. We leave home 2 days before we sail. So I have 18 days to complete my check list and fit in a pre-Christmas visit to our daughter and her family. She is not best pleased that we will be away for so long. The visit might be a little tense! I'm getting my mop dealt with tomorrow. Hopefully the "do" will last to at least halfway through the adventure.

Thanks spinnaker2! :) We sail in 20 days. We leave home 2 days before we sail. So I have 18 days to complete my check list and fit in a pre-Christmas visit to our daughter and her family. She is not best pleased that we will be away for so long. The visit might be a little tense! I'm getting my mop dealt with tomorrow. Hopefully the "do" will last to at least halfway through the adventure.

We may be gone from home as long as you, but at least we have the advantage of it being relatively easy for family to visit. One daughter is coming in January with her daughter, the other one is coming in February, with her whole family.

Also, there's good Internet all around, which makes for easy FaceTime.

Yes Mark, your solution for winter is easier on family than mine! I do feel a wee bit guilty about being somewhat out of touch for so long. It really is something I think we need to do now though. No one knows what the future holds and every year we get older and more prone to health issues. I think now is the time! I just really wish that could be understood.

Thanks JP! :) I am hoping I can smooth some feathers this weekend. I think when you are young you tend to think you will live forever. Nothing hurts, the future stretches in an endless road ahead of you and you have all the time in the world. With that mindset there is no real rush to see the world. It will be there when you are ready to explore it. Aging is a rude awakening to the reality that you are closer to the end of your life than to the beginning. I don't mean to be morbid and I'm not planning on checking out any time soon but the universe may have different plans. I think hedging our bets now is the way to go. And so we go.......

Same here, Mark and Mysty. We are definitely not waiting! We consider ourselves lucky that we started early. That had the (un)fortunate effect of making us want to travel even more. We meet so many people in our travels who tell us that they wish they had started earlier.