Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Two

CC Help Michell

Another tragic victim of senseless violence. So sad to hear.

If you are talking about Jo Cox, it is indeed tragic. She lived on a barge whilst in London with her husband and kids and would often commute to Westminster by rib. A resourceful and genuinely caring and popular MP murdered at the very best time of her life.

:(

Jeff

The murder of Jo Cox is a tragedy and my heart bleeds for her husband and young children....

It is a tragedy for sure - I've heard nothing but good things about her. I dont agree with the aims of her campaigns and I certainly didnt appreciate her and her husband's heckling the trawlermen in their protest on the Thames the day before she died, but this is very sad.

Unfortunately, I can see this event being used to swing the referendum pendulum back to in.

The latest I've seen in the press is the murderer got plans for his homemade gun from some right wing US group and subscribed to something they do. This "Britain first" alleged connection seems not to have got any further weight. Whatever, he is rightly going to spend life behind bars.

Nice piccy CL!

For Brits really .... Hugo Rifkind's Week in The Life in todays Times is a hoot! Philip Green's Friday ........

Jeff

Friday

I’m having dinner in one of London’s most expensive restaurants. It’s just me, although right at the end I have my driver bring in a drunk homeless man he’s found in the gutter. Then I lend him 50p, so he can buy me out of my entire meal. Then I tell the waiter I’ll be off, and the tramp will settle up.

“Sir?” says the waiter. “He’s a random tramp off the street. And doesn’t appear to have any money.”

Not my problem, I says, standing up. He bought it off me, lock, stock and barrel. Check the contract.

“Right,” says the waiter. “Only hadn’t you already eaten it?”

“This is a situation we all want to resolve,” I tell him.

Then I walk out.

It is a tragedy for sure - I've heard nothing but good things about her. I dont agree with the aims of her campaigns and I certainly didnt appreciate her and her husband's heckling the trawlermen in their protest on the Thames the day before she died, but this is very sad.

Unfortunately, I can see this event being used to swing the referendum pendulum back to in.

The latest I've seen in the press is the murderer got plans for his homemade gun from some right wing US group and subscribed to something they do. This "Britain first" alleged connection seems not to have got any further weight. Whatever, he is rightly going to spend life behind bars.

I was somewhat saddened to read in this morning's times that Stephen Kinnock, a junior member of the well known Kinncok EU gravy train dynasty invoked Jo Cox's memory in pursuit of the reaminers cause. Shameful.

These were his comments which were in an article ostensibly about Jo which I find shamefully opportunist and should be condemned by both the remain and exit side.

‘Remember Jo at the ballot box’

“What I know is what Jo stood for and believed in — her values of internationalism, partnership and solidarity and, of course, those are the values that are being debated now. And we have to look at what Jo stood for. It will be one of the thousands of things we should think about when we go to the ballot box next week.”

“A vote to leave will be a vote to usher in the most rightwing Tory government that we’ve ever seen. If we do Brexit, I think it will be real oxygen to the Front National, to Geert Wilders [leader of the Dutch Party for Freedom], to Alternative for Deutschland to the Five Star movement in Italy, to what is happening with [the nationalist party] Jobbik in Hungary. There are some really nasty characters out there.”

I was somewhat saddened to read in this morning's times that Stephen Kinnock, a junior member of the well known Kinncok EU gravy train dynasty invoked Jo Cox's memory in pursuit of the reaminers cause. Shameful.

These were his comments which were in an article ostensibly about Jo which I find shamefully opportunist and should be condemned by both the remain and exit side.

It will just be the start of it Jeff. To try to suggest people who vote out are somehow similar to the nut job who murdered this women is ridiculous, but then hasn't most things they've come out with? I guess the difference is he is using her memory in quite a disgusting way.

It's no different to suggest she got what she deserved for heckling the trawlermen the day before. Farage was one of those who put all differences aside to offer condolences. (He could have held a grudge and said nothing.... he certainly would not be using a tragic event to his advantage.) But the has there ever been a Kinnock with any class?

On a funny side issue.... I was amazed to look out the window the day after the protest, to see a rather large Trawler "Christina" from Fraserburgh arrive late morning.... only a day late skipper! lol

And on a happy note... it would seem we have the green light to book back on the Wind in March from San Juan. The email sent yesterday with return flights for £299 hit the spot. ;-) As usual, I missed the extra 5% and it's not a venetian sailing, so no 5% there either.

Amazingly, one of my wifes friends came in and spoke to her this moring saying they were looking at booking a SS cruise.... next March! OMG... whats the odds on that! I'd never even looked at this cruise until last night and spoken to no one aside the TA.

My cruise consultant at SS left yesterday... so got a new one. He has watched the offer from 6 star. Not sure what to do for the best. I got shafted using a TA with my next trip as Carnival have reduced prices (and everyone on the role call talking about how much theyve been given back)... The agent I booked with, im tied to that price. That said, with the flights, I cant see this price being topped.

Just looking through CC on the role calls for Silver Wind.

Just noticed that the site has shown the Silver Wind sailing to Tilbury and not Tower Bridge..... and clicking on "chose a hotel" selecting places in Thurrock and Dartford, but of which are nowhere near where Silver Wind ends up!

I feel another lunch at Tower Bridge coming on the 5th August. :D

The least we can do to treat our house sitter to what he will be allowing us to enjoy in March by house and kid sitting! lol

I still think kid kennels could be a winner! :p

Just looking through CC on the role calls for Silver Wind.

Just noticed that the site has shown the Silver Wind sailing to Tilbury and not Tower Bridge..... and clicking on "chose a hotel" selecting places in Thurrock and Dartford, but of which are nowhere near where Silver Wind ends up!

I feel another lunch at Tower Bridge coming on the 5th August. :D

The least we can do to treat our house sitter to what he will be allowing us to enjoy in March by house and kid sitting! lol

I still think kid kennels could be a winner! :p

Les,

have you checked the tide times for that sailing?

Jeff

Les,

have you checked the tide times for that sailing?

Jeff

Yes. The tides are fine on the Thursday when it arrives and when it leaves on the Saturday.... It will be fine on the Friday when its there all day I'm sure.

In the meantime...

.... Who can guess where it was taken?

Booking through a TA or Silversea?

OK, I mentioned above that I was about to book San Juan to Ft Lauderdale next year under the offer I'd received with Caribbean flights for £299. I think I've now got the flight details worked out and flabbergasted to price up those flights direct through BA to find the outwards is £1350 and return is £1100 - that's not far short of the cost of the cruise, first night accommodation, all transfers and return flights! Its a bit of a no brainer!

Anyway, I'd said that I'd spoken to 6 star and also to SS and they've given me a price, which SS matched. I'd usually be of the frame of mind that the TA have set the bar and SS haven't beaten, but unsure what to do from remarks people have made about not using SS, but use a TA.

I'm unsure on the logic here... can anyone enlighten me?

We always use a TA for a variety of reasons. However, we recently spoke with our 'personal SS travel consultant' expecting to release the space to our TA. She was able to give us a great fare in addition to $1,000 in onboard credits. We called out TA who said "grab it!" I will also say that the SS TA is amazing. Great communication and has been there whenever we have a question. She also returns calls almost immediately. Guess it all depends upon the sailing and what SS is offering at the time.

In the meantime...

.... Who can guess where it was taken?

Off Capri? Looks like an island with two cliffs on either side, with a town in the middle...just like Capri. Last frame seems to show the Faragliones offshore. Could be quite wrong, of course...

Awesome video...made me homesick for Silversea. Almost 1.5y to wait until the next cruise... :(

Edited by jpalbny

Aaaah . . . asparagus, king among vegetables, we will miss you. We have a shop about a mile outside our village which is attached to a large asparagus farm. The shop closes tomorrow and that, for us, marks the end of the season. The shop and the farm is full of migrant workers from Bulgaria, some of whom move up to Scotland for the soft fruit season, and some just go home.

Of course, supermarkets sell asparagus all-year-round but we never buy that imported stuff. Nor do we ever eat strawberries or raspberries out of season. That way they remain a real treat.

Catlover54, that's a great moon shot! Must be at least a 500mm lens to get that degree of detail. Tripod too? I played around with a setup like that for the lunar eclipse last September. Takes a lot of work!

Jeff, today's lunch looks tasty. I am stumped as to what to make tonight; the weather forecast is nothing short of beastly. 93 degree high today (maybe 34C) so anything involving prolonged cooking is a no-go.

Yesterday afternoon we got back from the Finger Lakes after a fun weekend of wine, food, and good friends. We were pretty tired and overheated from the drive home. It was so hot that we actually stopped and put the convertible top up because the sun was getting to us. After a walk in the shade, then a dip in the pool to cool off we had to figure out something to cook...

I had some old Prosciutto de Parma in the fridge that I sliced into bits and sautéed with garlic and fresh sage leaves from the herb garden. That went over linguine for a nice main dish, finished with grated Pecorino Romano and lots of freshly ground pepper. A somewhat Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and feta that Chris dressed up with just a touch of fresh oregano and basil accompanied the pasta. And a light Italian rosé finished things off. Refreshing!

uNY6oPfTlXyWLiHEePrnr5gZpxWq_cCjHvCFqNCjgnEH_RI_UbHam1WRXwY_IDJ-WdZRqhqFZa2_lzPtvD4WpPz-wdrsB0D5E-RrYdvQa-dV7-7RY4h6fK5o6vwW7HSQdqs4v0eqH8Dgq9WkxNMEBEDwXHG2xp-4a0La4qAo-2KNdcGHLO5D9TQ0D3eoSV0HGbs8pl-dHRhWjuliCQ_z9WgzDrlO_A1sZfCAVuYIusu7ZgWpwV76l4TNiumrIHTMKyUlfWhNiB3KocMK02sHNLdMhh05rWkmUJN6sxJSNOb-fRHvLLx33bEBiozOyXAKRWlY4Ns_ZMNDnj62ZnNR8oIChbnUc6v5nF-EJ8ZJUcAE6y1IluZAO2-ekdxdSPGPgy8jiwk60Ws3sutD92R1zN_aHHnXm1woohTa6ypGiYUMVVKBu7ilIZuwRTNi8iPfyWyYICbtYMbMTixG-uF9RtrRv4VERk90Z5fUqjkX0SzUAr2KLuAl4blkxpv0PklJKO8ZnbbMKyG3-2vrysqoCkkei8UUPhHgkLD2L6duhTFkv8zrRmiUeiufkFNwYr_v51EtNf2ALc6gToL93Srm4sJNjbQt0WYl=s667-no

LJxipjR1MC2ST2EASqrPd9j9T9y63bG4dYj3OZAxXNMuD4TjpLxGnreL5zf7m9vVhpM215gch6oqLaVBjDkycFD1ZxLX7nXhnupODAzUMbXSnv__qgqEtlJ1hqrgoFsYX1LmuBpvcHrdsRWhMBHIu5klRHAKj8w-VGZoCLdx1JBeHC-JjY1_xFCE4rGtEHqCdwe8XdmiqqVNAZNmwVRfAayKD2y4dDWBRI0UCYsrJ48bF23lRft3_suvRwl1SyQsAAQLTPTG0MYYPQJgQRsVrjTMuQhR7A6RokJMrJ3OP9G33ZLxcBSI2Az3cR_RLoRBrTAVl2USXLg5V_E9xhebAbTKd6iGpizvXXmu_xLlSQ64C1RpuzFGEgYapJxjhO5ddYYbajJoT_tiqqz6xawE8BDyP90NES0jBQMJAHkssvvMOPI2Z2gAI8jaJ_Lw7kDwall0YVBftQYXuppw-kSxlWmaPxHXBU-c-tG8buXd52op7X55uX9GP9Sa1Ng6TmZzResSiKjsNxHUvR9ZSjzPFfqQ82QiilMz6URFajF3CvZdBrTK9BNGvJM9WtdJFXsM9q3EhHJ1aG72dYuawYCXPMBqfXWPSPFV=s667-no

Yes, Jersey Royals and British asparagus and some home made hollandaise.

JP, that looks lovely and rustic! All looks very good.:)

People are getting very edgy over here with the brexit vote. I fear that there is going to be a Jo Cox factor at play, with some remainers cynically exploiting her tragic death. It would be a shame if that became the deciding factor.

JP, ... would you mind asking your President to keep his nose out of it please?

:D

Jeff

People are getting very edgy over here with the brexit vote. I fear that there is going to be a Jo Cox factor at play, with some remainers cynically exploiting her tragic death. It would be a shame if that became the deciding factor.

Unfortunately that was always on the cards and its quite sickening. Just like that racist woman Baroness Wasi "swapping sides"

JP - correct - it was Capri.

I did think i would have my trip booked up, but the flights are an issue. The flights Ive been offered have either a 2 hour connection in Philadelphia or 1h 45m connection in Miami.

Having missed a connection in Atlanta where we had 4h 30m connection (it took 2h 45m to get through immigration and be asked "have you got a blood sausage!!!!) I cant see how that can possibly be enough time to clear customs, let along collect your bags, passport control, check in next flight and get to the gate 30 minutes before departure. It just cant work out how that can be considered a connection especially the philly one as its from a different terminal.

Thoughts?

I also seem to have set the cat amongst the pigeons regarding the booking. I told 6 star today I wont be booking with them as the flight theyd offered wasnt to my taste... I had a call back telling me theyd try again and get a better one and another offering a further £50 off. I didnt set out to start a bidding war, but that seems to be whats happened. We all want to get the best price but im actually feeling uncomfortable about how its gone.

Les, I have made connections through ATL in well under 2h...Our record is just about 1h. BUT that's with (1) flying business so first off the plane, (2) global entry so passport control is quick, (3) priority luggage first off the belt, and (4) minimal line at security to enter the domestic terminals (no premium line or TSA precheck here...) We also know the drill very well from doing it so many times.

I would not think of booking anything with a connection time less than 2h, even considering the advantages I have listed above. It must be much worse without those perks. I only had to rush to make the tight 1 hour connection because our incoming International flight was over an hour late! But all ended well and our checked bags made the connection too.

Where are you trying to fly? I forgot and I'm too lazy to scroll back...sorry!

Great video, again. Loved seeing Capri! I never get tired of that view.

Edited by jpalbny

Great looking luncheon Jeffers....love jerseys but they never seem to taste the same these days.....hate asparagus !!

Les...entering the US right now seems to be a nightmare...going through Miami this last April was indeed one that l wouldn't wish to repeat and l thought last year was bad enough!

I have travelled via Atlanta several times in the past and it's never been a good experience either...but l do like the city having stayed over at times to explore.

For future flights to join ship l am seriously considering taking the 001 out of london City which clears immigration in Ireland...landing in NYC as a domestic.

I always use my TA to book my cruises...but sort my own flights out....usually getting a great deal with either BA or VS...depending on air miles....sales and availability....and l always travel business or first...

As far as the imminent EU voting goes....l think it's going to be a very close call...very sad that Jo Cox has to be brought into it but that's politics....has it really ever changed over the years!!

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Soapy,

It is probably not up your street, but just in case .....

If you want to save a bit of cash on that Business flight, and fancy a free night or two in Dublin then you might want to check out the costs of Dublin>LCY>JFK return but leaving off the final leg. The fares are sometimes a lot cheaper.

Jeff

A question for the Brits I guess re brexit.

Does anyone else detect a growing undercurrent of people feeling resentful that this appears to be a moving from an economics v immigration issue to increasing anger at the feeling that we're being blackmailed to stay in?

It just seems to me on many of the TV interviews of the last few days there seems to more anger amongst the "no's".

Jeff

JP, flight is London to San Juan.

I'm amazed that airlines are still subscribing that a connecting flight is feasible with a 1h 45m connecting time in the US

Sophia, the reason we're using SS for the flights is purely down to cost. SS are charging £299. BA want £2450 for the 2 separate flights. Its the cost of these flights that have won the interest.