Compared to mass cruising on mega ships?

shamda

I know it is not comparing apples to apples, but I was interested in some of the comparisons between the American Queen River Cruises and the mass market mega ship cruises. We are very quickly approaching 60. Will be traveling just the 2 of us. We have been on about 25 mass market cruises including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and a few more. How will we find this cruise compared to the others for the following:

Main Dining & food quality

Buffet quality and selection

Cabin Amenities - Looking to book Cat A on the Empress

Excursions & Tours

Crowd control

Evening entertainment

Overall service

I think I already know the answer to some of these, but this cruise is much more expensive and in my mind am hoping the overall quality of the trip will be worth it!

We have only been on the American Queen a few yrs ago now

there is no comparison

It is very laid back style of cruising ..if you like to sit back relax & watch the world go by with a few trip ashore it may work for you

The shore excursions we did were just the HOHO ones..their bus has a route with some places to see on the map usually free admission if you show your card but the locals know you are in the boat ;)

Food we found was very good on our cruise the buffet was small but the food was ample

The entertainment is good but nothing like on the mass market ships of course it depends on the entertainers & your personal style

sitting out on the front porch in the rocking chair sailing down the river ....priceless

If you are the type of people that can take life in the slow lane go for it

I am hoping to do the American Empress next yr ...time will tell :D

You won't be jostled by the frenzied crowds on a river voyage, or be sucked into the decadent whirlpool of glamour and ceaseless partying that ocean cruises promise. But who wants it?? River voyaging is a slow waltz through gorgeous wild (and tamed) geography. Bring someone to love! Enjoy the slowness of the Big Meander while you can. Life is precious, live it slowly.

I know it is not comparing apples to apples, but I was interested in some of the comparisons between the American Queen River Cruises and the mass market mega ship cruises. We are very quickly approaching 60. Will be traveling just the 2 of us. We have been on about 25 mass market cruises including Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and a few more. How will we find this cruise compared to the others for the following:

Main Dining & food quality

Buffet quality and selection

Cabin Amenities - Looking to book Cat A on the Empress

Excursions & Tours

Crowd control

Evening entertainment

Overall service

I think I already know the answer to some of these, but this cruise is much more expensive and in my mind am hoping the overall quality of the trip will be worth it!

Main Dining & food quality: Main dining is at set times and tables, much like mass market ships in the past. They have tried open dining, but on the smaller vessel, the galley is really too small to accommodate cooking ala minute. The food quality is superior to any mass market ship I've sailed (NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Costa) and close to Oceania, considered among the best cuisine at sea. It is, however heavily tilted towards southern cooking -- the corporate chef is Regina Charbineau, famous for southern gourmet fare.

Buffet quality and selection: The quality is excellent; often matching the main dining room in quality, but offering different selections. The variety, however, is much less than, say, NCL. There are a couple of entrees but little selection among accompanying dishes.

Cabin Amenities - Looking to book Cat A on the Empress: We have only sailed on American Queen; the cabin amenities are satisfactory, but different than mass market ships. the cabins tend to be smaller; the furniture is definitely victorian antique in character with the boat; there is a tub with shower; there is TV, temperature control, etc., a hair dryer is included but I think it's wall-mounted (my wife nor I have a need for one). The beds are comfortable and the cabin service is satisfactory.

Excursions & Tours: This is a marked difference from mass market tours. The cruise line has a series of buses dedicated to each boat (vinyl wrapped to resemble the steamboat; they call them steam coaches despite their diesel power). These buses follow the boat to each port and provide two kinds of excursion. the first is included in the fare and acts like a hop on-hop off bus, on a marked route through the towns, with local volunteer guides providing commentary. The second is one or more buses devoted to one or more optional premiere excursions, in many of the ports. You can read more about these on the website.

Crowd control: There are no more than 400 passengers on American Queen and some fewer on American Empress; there are no crowds. Most guests have "been there and done that" and are not pushy or obnoxious like mass market guests often are. Disembarkation is effortless; folks wander off at their own speed, no lines.

Evening entertainment: In our experience of 4 American Queen cruises (and currently on our way to our 5th) since 2012, the entertainment has always been superior to ocean-going cruise ships of any cruise line, although there are no "Big Name" groups. Each cruise is themed, and there are generally excellent lecturers and often re-enactors of famous folks. There is also an excellent Riverlorian (a combination of river lore and river history) offering excellent lectures and more.

Overall service: We consider it the equal of our favorite ocean cruise line, Oceania, and equal to the couple of cruises we have taken on Regent. In fact, the overall owner and CEO of ASC, John Wagoner, told us Oceania was his favorite ocean cruise line, and he strives to provide at least as good an experience as that upper premium cruise line. In our opinion, he has succeeded.

There are other differences between ocean cruising and American river cruising on AQSC boats. One is the speed; 7 miles per hour is average. Another is the scenery, especially at that speed; there is always something to see ahead, behind and on both sides, other than open ocean. Finally, some of the cabins open to a promenade deck or "semi-private" veranda, in which case there may be fellow guests passing by your cabin door. Folks used to the privacy of ocean cruise liner cabins may be dismayed about this at first; however these boats are very social, and you may choose to greet those passing by and make new acquaintances or friends. With so few guests, it's also easy to get to know your fellow guests and they will become familiar in a short time, compared to ocean cruises where you see a tiny fraction of the guests at any time.

There are no photographers pressing for a photo; there are no art auctions taking up space; there is no smoking except in small, designated areas easy to avoid; there is no nickel and diming -- with the included excursions, included soft drinks and cappuccinos, and included wine or beer at meals, it's entirely possible to enjoy the cruise without spending any extra money. However, we usually buy something from the boutique and sometimes enjoy a late evening drink in the paddlewheel lounge.

Thank you for your lovely report. We just booked American Queen - New Orleans to Memphis (Sept. 4 - 12/16) as this was on our bucket list. We booked the Great Steamboat Race many years ago but the cruise was cancelled. Consequently, had mega cruise ship cruises and land holidays but now at our time of retirement, we want our Steamboat wish cruise to happen. We reserved Stateroom 333 (AA) category because of the private verandah. Albeit a year away, time goes quickly and it's nice to have something to look forward to. We love the history so enjoying reading up on all that we will experience, not to mention being very excited to go back in time on the American Queen.

Edited by Kathy53
spelling error

Are bathrobes provided? And shampoo' date=' conditioner etc...quality? Thank you for any info.[/quote']

Yes, bathrobes are provided, as is shampoo and conditioner. We can't comment on quality, as I have 1/8" buzz cut and Betsy has short hair and can use anything.

On board AQ this morning, sailed from Alton, IL (alternate port for St. Louis while riverfront is being rebuilt). Beautiful morning on the Mississippi, feading upriver for Burlington, Iowa. Great breakfast.

This is our 5th AQ cruise since July, 2012, but the first time we hace sailed in one of the "bay window" cabins on deck 2. We woke up to a view of the river like we've never before experienced on AQ. These will be our cabins of choice from now on.

Last night, after the show, we enjoyed the fabulous piano of Phil Westbrooke, just us for a while, like a private performance.

I'll keep posting from time to time as the cruise proceeds.

Edited by hondorner

This is our 5th AQ cruise since July, 2012, but the first time we hace sailed in one of the "bay window" cabins on deck 2. We woke up to a view of the river like we've never before experienced on AQ. These will be our cabins of choice from now on.

SHHHH

Now everyone will want those cabins :D

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

• 5 months later...
Main Dining & food quality: Main dining is at set times and tables, much like mass market ships in the past. They have tried open dining, but on the smaller vessel, the galley is really too small to accommodate cooking ala minute. The food quality is superior to any mass market ship I've sailed (NCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Costa) and close to Oceania, considered among the best cuisine at sea. It is, however heavily tilted towards southern cooking -- the corporate chef is Regina Charbineau, famous for southern gourmet fare.

Buffet quality and selection: The quality is excellent; often matching the main dining room in quality, but offering different selections. The variety, however, is much less than, say, NCL. There are a couple of entrees but little selection among accompanying dishes.

Cabin Amenities - Looking to book Cat A on the Empress: We have only sailed on American Queen; the cabin amenities are satisfactory, but different than mass market ships. the cabins tend to be smaller; the furniture is definitely victorian antique in character with the boat; there is a tub with shower; there is TV, temperature control, etc., a hair dryer is included but I think it's wall-mounted (my wife nor I have a need for one). The beds are comfortable and the cabin service is satisfactory.

Excursions & Tours: This is a marked difference from mass market tours. The cruise line has a series of buses dedicated to each boat (vinyl wrapped to resemble the steamboat; they call them steam coaches despite their diesel power). These buses follow the boat to each port and provide two kinds of excursion. the first is included in the fare and acts like a hop on-hop off bus, on a marked route through the towns, with local volunteer guides providing commentary. The second is one or more buses devoted to one or more optional premiere excursions, in many of the ports. You can read more about these on the website.

Crowd control: There are no more than 400 passengers on American Queen and some fewer on American Empress; there are no crowds. Most guests have "been there and done that" and are not pushy or obnoxious like mass market guests often are. Disembarkation is effortless; folks wander off at their own speed, no lines.

Evening entertainment: In our experience of 4 American Queen cruises (and currently on our way to our 5th) since 2012, the entertainment has always been superior to ocean-going cruise ships of any cruise line, although there are no "Big Name" groups. Each cruise is themed, and there are generally excellent lecturers and often re-enactors of famous folks. There is also an excellent Riverlorian (a combination of river lore and river history) offering excellent lectures and more.

Overall service: We consider it the equal of our favorite ocean cruise line, Oceania, and equal to the couple of cruises we have taken on Regent. In fact, the overall owner and CEO of ASC, John Wagoner, told us Oceania was his favorite ocean cruise line, and he strives to provide at least as good an experience as that upper premium cruise line. In our opinion, he has succeeded.

There are other differences between ocean cruising and American river cruising on AQSC boats. One is the speed; 7 miles per hour is average. Another is the scenery, especially at that speed; there is always something to see ahead, behind and on both sides, other than open ocean. Finally, some of the cabins open to a promenade deck or "semi-private" veranda, in which case there may be fellow guests passing by your cabin door. Folks used to the privacy of ocean cruise liner cabins may be dismayed about this at first; however these boats are very social, and you may choose to greet those passing by and make new acquaintances or friends. With so few guests, it's also easy to get to know your fellow guests and they will become familiar in a short time, compared to ocean cruises where you see a tiny fraction of the guests at any time.

There are no photographers pressing for a photo; there are no art auctions taking up space; there is no smoking except in small, designated areas easy to avoid; there is no nickel and diming -- with the included excursions, included soft drinks and cappuccinos, and included wine or beer at meals, it's entirely possible to enjoy the cruise without spending any extra money. However, we usually buy something from the boutique and sometimes enjoy a late evening drink in the paddlewheel lounge.

I posted my earlier O comparison questions before reading this. No need to respond unless you've got anything else to add. Thanks!