Dress code in MDR and specialty restaurants

What is the dress code for men in the MDR and other restaurants.

I have heard mixed reviews......

Can men wear dress shorts and collared shirts?

My hubby is hoping.....!!!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

All you might want to know about shorts in the dining room:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207968

Edited by clarea

Sorry to but in with another question but on the same sort of subject what is the dress code in speciality restaurants on formal night? And what is acceptable dress attire on the MDR on formal night?

Specialty restaurants are generally always "smart casual". As far as whats acceptable in the MDR on formal night. my experience as seen with my own eyes as of late has been anything from gym shorts and t shirt to tuxedos and ballroom gowns. It really runs the gamut.

Edited by ryano

dinner dress on a respectable ship

qm2%20portrait%202%20cropped_zpsyfzsqe42.jpg

ah ... the golden day of cruising . . .

on RC ... a tee shirt with a print of a tie, board shorts, and flip flops qualifies as formal dress

Edited by Capt_BJ

We just got off the Brilliance last week, and I was really surprised at the number of men in tuxedos on formal nights. On ships departing from the U.S., there are usually a few men in tuxes (usually between the ages of 50 and 70), along with a couple of men in dinner jackets and kilts.

On the Brilliance, I saw a lot of men in tuxes, including teenage boys and even younger. I felt under dressed in a sport coat and tie and somewhat regretted not bringing a suit.

At the same time, there were men in polo shirts and khakis or t-shirts and jeans.

Now, RC likes the term, smart casual. No one knows what is smart casual. In the U.S., we have business casual, which is supposed to be a collared shirt and dress pants for men. But, there are a lot of work places where it's simply no shorts and flip-flops. My wife works in finance, and there are people who were rock concert t-shirts to work.

I noticed in London, while riding the Tube in the morning and evening rushes, that a lot of mean wear suits or sport coats with no necktie. You don't see that in the U.S. I think a lot of men feel that if the put on a suit or sport coat, they might as well find a necktie.

This is what I think of with smart casual, but I saw very, very few men fitting the description on smart casual night.

Here's what bugs me about RC. Everything says no shorts in the MDR for dinner , yet I saw more than a few men and women wearing shorts. I understand that many men don't want to bring a suit, sport coat, or tux because it's just one more thing to pack. But, if the dress code says no shorts, then enforce it.

What is the dress code for men in the MDR and other restaurants.

I have heard mixed reviews......

My hubby is hoping.....!!!

The Daily Compass will give you what the "Suggested" dress of the evening will be. There is no such thing as a Dress Code.:D

We were on the Grandeur in June. My hubby has always worn very nice linen shorts on causal nights. Much to our surprise our waiter told him "shorts are not permitted in the dinning room" I was shocked and my hubby was slightly embarrassed to be called out like a little kid the first day of school :cool:

Here's what bugs me about RC. Everything says no shorts in the MDR for dinner , yet I saw more than a few men and women wearing shorts. I understand that many men don't want to bring a suit, sport coat, or tux because it's just one more thing to pack. But, if the dress code says no shorts, then enforce it.

Your consternation will be eschewed like a wine cork when the policy is revised.