Carnival Food - What's good and what's bad?

aflyingbuttress

How is Carnival's food? I was on Carnival back in 2000 but I can't remember it. What's good and what's bad? I'll be on the Pride Oct. 18 and want to know what I should keep an eye out for (and maybe avoid?).

How does it compare to other cruise lines? I sailed on Celebrity a few years ago and the food was great. I also sailed Princess, probably 8 years ago now, and I remember actually being grossed out by the food on board. It was so bad I will never sail Princess again. I recently saw a few people compare Carnival to Princess so I am a bit worried. But I was on Princess a long time ago so things may have changed.

Yes, food is subjective, but I'd love to hear your personal opinions.

I only remember the lobster bisque. Yummy. The lobster bisque on RCL was bad, but the escargots were great (and offered nightly! We ordered two some nights, as my three year old enjoyed as well).

I do remember good, fresh pizza, or a fresh salad. I'd always order pineapple and ham pizza, so it was fresh, not sitting. But typically what's sitting goes kinda fast so it's not sitting long. The pizza on RCL was so bad I took one bit, and threw it out.

I remember desserts being good (really the only thing I worry about. :D )

Certainly I wasn't grossed out, nor did I go hungry, there was always something good (unlike NCL, where I did go to bed hungry one night, as I didn't like mdr offering, buffet was gross, and room service never answered).

Dh enjoyed the sushi, when we found it open.

Favorite Carnival Food Items:

Guys Burger's (if available on your sailing)

Blue Iguana Fresh Tacos (if available on your sailing)

Stuffed Mushrooms (MDR)

Cream of Mushroom Soup (MDR and Buffet)

Pumpkin Soup (MDR)

Shrimp Salad Sandwich (Room Service Menu on most ships - 3 new ships are trialing a new room service menu and is not available anymore)

Chocolate Cake (Room Service Menu version is the BEST one)

Warm Chocolate Melting Cake (MDR)

And these are a few of my favorite things :D

I don't care for the brisket (the toughest cut of meat) or lamb shank. The night they serve lam shank in MDR there's leg of lamb on Lido! That's where I eat that night.

There was a terrible chef on Legend for a long time and a lot of what CCers said was so good wasn't. The lasagna was really off. Then I decided it must be me and those at my table so the next trip I got it and it tasted like I was in Italy! Delicious! Occurred to me something was very different. Asked the Maitre d' and they had a new chef!

Much of the buffet looks good but isn't. I love Guy's. I've had great meals and one bad one in the Steakhouse. I like crème brulee usually served night one. The key lime pie is very good on Lido. Many of the desserts are beautiful but have no flavor.

Escargot, stuffed mushrooms.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Cream of mushroom soup is the best! (I asked for and got the recipe (50 gallons!:eek:)

Caesar salad with no anchovy dressing.

Lamb chops (mint jelly!)

Prime Rib (rare only)

Lamb shank

Flat iron steak (rare only)

Creme Brulee

Lemon cake

4 cheese pizza (had a fancy name but was wonderful)

Guys fries (if ship is equipped).

As you can see from my signature we love the Pride!

We were on the repo cruise in March and Guy's burgers were great (the fries are awesome), the Pizza, The Steak House (Love David's - great experience and food) DH loved the lobster bisque at the steakhouse, he said it was the best he had ever eaten, DH loved the breakfast burritos, I loved the bacon Mac and Cheese served at brunch, the ribs, the soups - especially the cold soups. Chocolate Melting Cake, Bitter and Blanc...we really like the majority of the food we have tried in the MDR. Avoid the fried chicken, it was overdone.

I don't care for the buffet or any buffet, but DH enjoys it for breakfast. Also as mentioned earlier the deli makes great pannini's.

We found Carnival's food to be better the Royal's and have had friends say the same.

The upgrades the Pride received really are wonderful and freshen up the ship. Don't miss the Alchemy bar, the martinis are amazing.

Have a great cruise!

The melting cake is amazing! I crave it when I'm not cruising!!!! Crab cakes & escargot are really good too. I'm really picky and there was only one night I couldn't find anything I liked. Most nights I'm asking for seconds (or 3rds).

Edited by Halfpint012

I find it hard to recommend one thing or discredit another, as I have really liked a food item on one cruise and nearly gagged on it on the next. As another poster here mentioned, it can depend on the head chef among other things.

On ships with fish and chips, I used to love the fried oysters there, and then, on one cruise in 2009, found that they were barely edible at all. Tried them again in 2014, and they were just ok. I have almost always loved the seafood in the MDR until last cruise, I found the tilapia was pretty unappealing, both taste wise and appearance wise. I used to love the chateaubriand until I had a serving that was so tough, I could not cut with a sharp knife. Yet last cruise it was exceptional.

So, hard for me to say, you have to try this or that, because depending on the ship, the chef, the night, the cruise, it can vary. My best recommendation is to try what you want, and if it is no good, or even less than good, ask your waiter to bring something else. They want you to be happy, and will gladly bring something more appetizing.

I must also say though that for the most part, like 90pc of the time, the food I have gotten in the MDR on Carnival has been very good, to excellent. Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy the food too.

One more thing; the waiters used to give recommendations each night in the mdr, but noticed my last cruise that they did not. I think though, that you can always ask if they recommend something, and in the past, that has worked well for me.

Edited by SMSACE6

Good and Bad are such subjective descriptions....

Lunch - I always find something really tasty on the lunch buffet, the "comfort foods" or great selections of salads, etc.

My DH loves Guys and Blue Iguana on Freedom, I loved the Tandoor on Magic. Pizza - meh, its just bread and cheese, does nothing for me.

MDR... I am a fan of eating fish any time I can. The salmon is particularly good, the mahi mahi is very good. I am not a big fan of goopy sauces or cream so I skip most of the pastas. Regional dishes on the American Table are a great treat for me and DH, we love that addition.

Sometimes over looked on the lido is the carving station, they do an excellent roast beef and mashed taters. Not too fond of the turkey, but I have never been that fond of turkey.

I like the broiled Salmon. The 20.00 filet mignon is out of this world, and the Black Forest Gateau is my favorite dessert.

Key Lime pie is served on the Lido on the second or third day, at lunch and it is fabulous.

I loved the shrimp salad sandwich when lunch was in the MDR, so I guess I will have to order room service at least once on the cruise just to get it.

Things that aren't great??? Coffee. The sad attempt at a chocolate buffet. That has seriously gone down hill over the years.

And the fresh sea air does make everything taste better.:p

Lido deck

I really have enjoyed the rotisserie. The chicken or turkey is better than the beef. Guys Burgers (YUM!) And their fries are delicious. Blue Iguana - I can't eat the wheat shells, so I have them make it into a taco salad, so delicious! I think my last cruise I had 3 of those.

Breakfast - order made omelets are delicious

MDR

The fruit soups - strawberry or peach. SO good!

Salads are consistently fresh and look appealing

Prime Rib has been consistently good and tender

Lobster?? Not my favorite, but most people seem to like it

Chocolate Melting Cake is always good, remember to pair it with different flavors of ice-cream/sherbet. My favorites are butter pecan or orange sherbet.

(I asked for and got the recipe (50 gallons!:eek:)

Wha, you don't see yourself ever making a 50 gallon drum of soup?

Caesar salad with no anchovy dressing.

Now, my question is can I get it WITH anchovy dressing? Because if so, I'll make a point to order the Caesar salad. Most places do not have the traditional anchovy dressing and I LOOOOOOVE IT!

Wow! What a whole bunch of great responses! I really appreciate the suggestions and now I'm super excited to eat the cruise food. I'm going to make a list. Haha!

A few more questions come to mind.

Can I order multiple dishes and eat a little bit of each? Or will they be super annoyed? I mean like 2, not 4 or 5. Lol

How do I find out which days have something I want to eat in the dining room so I know if it's a good night to go to the buffet? Or vice versa? Basically, how do I know what food will be where and when so I don't miss the good stuff? Or maybe that's not really possible.

How do you go about choosing a day to go to the steakhouse? And is it the only place I need to make reservations?

Is there a midnight buffet?

Wow! What a whole bunch of great responses! I really appreciate the suggestions and now I'm super excited to eat the cruise food. I'm going to make a list. Haha!

A few more questions come to mind.

Can I order multiple dishes and eat a little bit of each? Or will they be super annoyed? I mean like 2, not 4 or 5. Lol

How do I find out which days have something I want to eat in the dining room so I know if it's a good night to go to the buffet? Or vice versa? Basically, how do I know what food will be where and when so I don't miss the good stuff? Or maybe that's not really possible.

How do you go about choosing a day to go to the steakhouse? And is it the only place I need to make reservations?

Is there a midnight buffet?

Yes, you can order multiple dishes, they do not care & want you to be happy.

The MDR dinner menu will be posted outside the MDR ahead of time.

Near guest services desk there is usually a reservation desk & they often have all the weeks menus.

Depending on the ship, the menu may be posted on your cabin TV.

The midnight buffet disappeared many years ago.

Haha! Me too. I've been saying to DH that I want every dessert on the ship and that if he even passes one when I'm not with him he better bring it to me! Lol

Yep! I typically only take the stairs, unless we have luggage, plus swimming/snorkling... We'd get expresso and ice cream, mix them. hehehe. Now we have kid, so typically dh takes her and I stay to enjoy dessert.

I'm sad no midnight buffet. Does that mean no Chocolate buffet?