Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay??

aflyingbuttress

Can anyone tell me what is at Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay for those who don't purchase shore excursions? Can we just get off the ship and go swimming at the beach? Is there food and do we have to pay for it?

My itinerary has the picture below under the explore this port button for Grand Turk and I'm wondering if this place is an excursion locale or if this is there for the Cruise passengers?

Both places are very nice and we enjoyed them...especially HMC. We hope to return again some day.

I have complete reviews listed in my signature line and there are TONS of pictures to give you an idea of what there is to do there around the beach and all free. :D

Both places are very nice and we enjoyed them...especially HMC. We hope to return again some day.

I have complete reviews listed in my signature line and there are TONS of pictures to give you an idea of what there is to do there around the beach and all free. :D

Thanks! I took a look. Great information and pics! So, the beach is free, the pool at margaritaville is free. Are their clamshells to rent? A lot? What are our chances of getting some shade if we don't get off the boat immediately? Also, how do we get food? Do we have to go sit in the restaurant or can we bring it back to the beach and eat it? Or sit around the pool?

So many questions, lol. Just want to make sure we don't miss a thing or spend hours wandering around trying to figure out how things work.

Thanks! I took a look. Great information and pics! So, the beach is free, the pool at margaritaville is free. Are their clamshells to rent? A lot? What are our chances of getting some shade if we don't get off the boat immediately? Also, how do we get food? Do we have to go sit in the restaurant or can we bring it back to the beach and eat it? Or sit around the pool?

So many questions, lol. Just want to make sure we don't miss a thing or spend hours wandering around trying to figure out how things work.

At Grand Turk, there's places in the shade under the trees when you first get off the pier, then on down there's other places that have trees as well. We stayed on the beach for hours and then later walked over to the pool to hang out awhile and plenty of places with chairs under the trees. They also have places to sit under umbrellas. I relaly didn't pay attention to any clam shells and don't recall seeing them to be honest. We didn't have any issues at all.

You can go up and get food yourself if you want and take it back to your chair on the beach or at the pool or order from the waiter that walks around with the menu. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Can I rent one now and change my mind later? Or will I not be able to cancel? Will i be asked to pay right away?

It would have gone on your card as a charge from Carnival. If you opted to cancel at least 48 hours before sailing, then they'd take the charge off and credit your card back. If you cancel closer to, or during your cruise, you'd get it back as refundable OBC.

I keep coming up with more questions for you. Can we bring unopened cans of pop back to the ship?

Yep, you could have if a cabana had been available for booking. (Hell, you paid for 'em...) Unfortunately, as I recall soda on HMC is not free, even if you have Bottomless Bubbles.

• 3 months later...

We brought our own beach umbrella ( drove to the port) and I always bring my own float (spring float fits in suitcase - buy at costco or walmart). Half Moon Cay much better beach than Grand Turk. GT very rocky, even with water shoes it is very difficult to get into the water (this is beach left of the pier , think to the right of pier better).

• 2 weeks later...

Last time I was at Half Moon Cay, I brought the $1 blow up floats you can get at Dollar General or Dollar Tree. We blew them up, used them for a while and gave them to a child when we were ready to go back to the ship. Saves lots. I'll be doing that again in October !!!

• 1 month later...
You will be great in both ports.

In Half Moon Bay there are no excursions. It's about the beach and water activities.

Grand Turk is a great place also to just enjoy the area at the port including the beautiful beach.

Keith

I'm pretty sure there are excursions in HMC..I booked one recently.

I love the beach and can't wait to lounge around and go in the water. However, I'm traveling with a 3 year old and a pasty white DH that sweats buckets in 70 degree weather and burns as if he took a nap right on the surface of the Sun itself.

Any thoughts about how to nab shade? Do we need to be the first off the boat? How early do people start lining up to get off the ship? Is it possible to buy or rent an umbrella, or bring one from home?

As suggested, rent a clamshell for about $20 and you will have shade. There aren't many umbrellas there. If it gets hot in your clamshell, some folks put something beneath the back which raised it off the sand and lets more air in.

How much would a can of domestic beer and a glass of house wine on Grand Turk and HMC?

The prices for drinks at HMC are the same as on the ship.

You will use your ship's card to purchase drinks at any of the three or four bars scattered around.

You will be great in both ports.

In Half Moon Bay there are no excursions. It's about the beach and water activities.

Grand Turk is a great place also to just enjoy the area at the port including the beautiful beach.

Keith

There are a number of excursions offered at HMC including horseback riding on the beach, hiking, parasailing. Booking a cabana is considered an 'excursion'. Lots to do there besides just sit on the beach.

Also a nice barbeque at lunch for HAL ships. I don't know what Carnival offers. There is no extra charge for it.