Art on Board - no complaining pls

ladygal4.4

My mother won one of the pieces in the raffle. it was essentially a poster, not really a high quality print.. but a poster, thin paper, mailed to her in a cardboard tube because she didn't want to pay 99.99 to frame it.

Not sure if that was because it was the free one she won, or if that was the type you end up getting when buying. She did say the one on the ship showing what she would win, was a much higher quality.

Our cruise friends are active in this lawsuit with Park West. Who knows what the outcome will be. They are hoping to recoup their losses:http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20130909/BLOG011/130909878/lawsuit-reinstated-against-park-west-over-art-sold-on-cruise-ships

We have purchased a few pieces while on cruises and really enjoy them. We also feel we learned quite a lot about different artists while attending the auctions. In particular while on the Breeze in the Spring of 2013, the Art Director was tremendous and I wish I could remember his name.

We have bought on 3 or 4 different cruises and have been happy with what we bought. I have nothing bad to say other than the free "champagne" is "sparkling wine". However I did notice that the auctions on CCL and NCL are night and day on people buying art. The auction on the Triumph last year, I maybe saw one thing being bought at auctions and went to auctions where nothing sold, however, on the Epic, we went to numerous auctions where people bought $5K-$10K pieces and 25-30 pieces total were sold during that auction. The auctioneer told us, not sure if it is true, that people from the Haven (NCLs suites) have private showings where they buy artwork. Seeing the prices that the non-Haven people are paying, this is probably accurate.

Edited by zdcatc12
Grammar

We have purchased a number of pieces on ships, both from Park West and from Princess (which is I believe the only major line not using Park West). In all cases, we bought the piece because we liked it. While it would be nice as an investment, I doubt we would break even.

It has been fun, however. We were invited to a couple of Park West's land events, and got to spend time with the artists (Leslie Lew, Dominic Pangborn, Tim Yanke, Peter Max). Got some originals.

Our cruise friends are active in this lawsuit with Park West. Who knows what the outcome will be. They are hoping to recoup their losses:http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20130909/BLOG011/130909878/lawsuit-reinstated-against-park-west-over-art-sold-on-cruise-ships

I'm completely out of breath at the thought of buying half a million dollars worth of art relying on what the person selling you said art to establish the value without doing any independent research. Wow.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's interesting that you asked for opinions but don't want to hear anything negative? Not sure that is going to get you a realistic view of what to expect, but that's just me. Park West has been involved in numerous lawsuits and if you Google them, you will get the real picture. That said, as long as you have the money to buy the pictures (can't necessarily define it as art) and you know 100% going in that you are buying prints that they will charge you an exorbitant amount of money to frame and ship to you, then who are we to define what you do or do not do with your money. I have been to a couple of the "auctions" and realized, much as the high pressure sales tactics of timeshare companies, if they have to "high pressure" me into buying, it's probably something I don't have any business buying. This is speaking only for me. You must do what is right for you.

I have bought three times over many cruises and am happy with what I purchased. I NEVER have them framed and just have them shipped to me. I do the framing once I receive. I buy because I have liked something and have not overpaid because I have a working knowledge of value of the "artwork".

In most cases the frames are worth more than the artwork.

1st rule of thumb when purchasing art is - buy what you like for a price you can afford. Art is personal taste, and if you feel you have gotten value for the for the money you paid, and something you like, that is all that matters. NEVER buy based on what anyone TELLS you the value is or may be. I have been in museums and galleries all over the world and I have seen "ART" that is worth millions I wouldn't give 2 cents for, and vice versa.

That said, Park West auctions are exactly what you make of them. I would not by any means call them "high pressure." I have sat through time share presentations in Mexico - that is HIGH pressure. If you express interest in a piece they will certainly nudge you to buy, and will bring it to you and swoon over you to get you to consider it as long as you continue to express interest. I have found the minute you have given them a concrete NO, not interested, they move on to the next person who is "interested." Do not be wishy, washy or they will think there is still a chance for a sale and continue to try to sell to you. It amazes me how people say they are "hard" sell, when very often it is simply a case of them not clearly expressing they are not interested. Any salesman will continue to try to sell you if they think you might still be on the hook.

The auctions are fun to go and learn about artists, see different artwork, and they always give away free stuff. I see many people show up just for the free champagne which I could give a crap about since I don't drink it. I do enjoy seeing all the different pieces and have won a few things in the process.

Also, Park West does sell ART. It is important as a buyer that you understand the difference in what the pieces are such as original art, lithograph, hand embellished, etc. Again, people buy something for $100 bucks and get mad when the learn it isn't a one of kind worth $10,000... who's fault is that?

I live in Michigan, and have been to their main Gallery here, I have also attended at least 20 at sea auctions. They offer cheap crap, and they offer expensive top of the line one of kind pieces. Dali, Rembrandt, Peter Max could hardly be described as anything but art and these are some of the artists they offer. They offer everything from what others have classified as "a poster" to one of kind canvas artwork. Again, it is up to you to know what you are buying and what you are paying for it. They even offer sports memorabilia, animation, etc.

I would not recommend or condemn Park West either way anymore than I would any other art studio or street vendor for that matter. I think a lot of the bad publicity they get is due to buyers remorse as people didn't know what they were buying and true value, and were easily "swayed" by what I would categorize as a firm sales pitch. Then they get home and find out they overpaid based on what they could have bought it for somewhere else or changed their mind once the high of the vacation was over and can't return it and get mad.

On a final note, I own over 25 pieces of their artwork - everything from a Charlie Brown Schultz to a top of the line Peter Max and a Rembrandt, lithographs, canvas work, and everything in between.. I bought what I wanted on my walls and paid what I felt it was worth, but I was an informed buyer and knew what I was getting. When I am interested at an auction they know it, and when I am not they know that even more.

Edited by wemjam

I have enjoyed the art auctions. You get to learn about the artists and the various qualities of the artwork and it is entertaining. I have purchased 11 pieces of artwork over the years. I knew the quality I was getting for each item and I paid accordingly. I knew that I wasn't getting originals. They were upfront in saying if the pieces were originals, lithgraphs, serigraphs or glycees etc. Even after all these years, I still like all the artwork I have purchased. People that have seen the artwork have said they like it too. I have no remorse in my purchases. I just wish I had more space on my walls to purchase more art from Park West. Besides the artwork, the framing is beautiful.

Best advise is to be an educated purchaser of the Park West artwork and enjoy it.:cool:

We purchased a couple of Peter Nixon pieces on a cruise which we carried off of the ship. We went to a FedEx shipping office and had them shipped to our home. Park West packaged them for shipping. When they arrived, the frames were broken in shipment. After contacting Park West about this, they immediately shipped us two new frames. I was very impressed with their handling of our issue! Not sure if we got a good deal on the artwork, but we liked them and they are hanging nicely on our wall...

It's interesting that you asked for opinions but don't want to hear anything negative? Not sure that is going to get you a realistic view of what to expect, but that's just me. Park West has been involved in numerous lawsuits and if you Google them, you will get the real picture. That said, as long as you have the money to buy the pictures (can't necessarily define it as art) and you know 100% going in that you are buying prints that they will charge you an exorbitant amount of money to frame and ship to you, then who are we to define what you do or do not do with your money. I have been to a couple of the "auctions" and realized, much as the high pressure sales tactics of timeshare companies, if they have to "high pressure" me into buying, it's probably something I don't have any business buying. This is speaking only for me. You must do what is right for you.

I know that Park West has had trouble and issues with lawsuits, and I was trying to avoid that. I hate it when posts get blown up with controversy. My question is has anyone just enjoyed them for nice-looking art on their walls. Not as major investments but just something that's nice to look at. And what people's opinions were once they got them up on their walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that Park West has had trouble and issues with lawsuits, and I was trying to avoid that. I hate it when posts get blown up with controversy. My question is has anyone just enjoyed them for nice-looking art on their walls. Not as major investments but just something that's nice to look at. And what people's opinions were once they got them up on their walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of my 11 pieces I have purchased in a span of 10 years. The older ones as well as the newer ones look just as good as the day I received them. The quality of the framing and artwork still look brand new. I still enjoy all 11 pieces.:cool:

All of my 11 pieces I have purchased in a span of 10 years. The older ones as well as the newer ones look just as good as the day I received them. The quality of the framing and artwork still look brand new. I still enjoy all 11 pieces.:cool:

And yes I have always had very favorable responses of the artwork from others. Enjoy.

My wife has an art degree and we always go to look. She will be the first to tell you that an art appraisal is not a selling price it is an estimate of what an "expert" says it is worth. In reality a piece of art is worth what an individual is willing to pay for it. We bought on piece because she liked it me having a business degree ask "do you think we can sell it later for more money" to which she replied "probably not for two reasons one we would have to find someone who thinks it's worth more and second.......I bought it for me and we will not sell it". So it's in her office making her happy.

My wife has an art degree and we always go to look. She will be the first to tell you that an art appraisal is not a selling price it is an estimate of what an "expert" says it is worth. In reality a piece of art is worth what an individual is willing to pay for it. We bought on piece because she liked it me having a business degree ask "do you think we can sell it later for more money" to which she replied "probably not for two reasons one we would have to find someone who thinks it's worth more and second.......I bought it for me and we will not sell it". So it's in her office making her happy.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

As with any auction, you need to know and understand what it is you are buying and what you are willing to spend on it. There's usually a disclaimer that they are not responsible, etc., etc., etc.,

Art is subjective and the value of a piece can rise and fall like the stock market. Steve Martin wrote a wonderful novel about the manipulation of the art market in the '80's. So though I might agree with others that if you like it and you are okay with the price, then buy it, I also fell that on the other hand, as someone with a modest amount of knowledge, that ParkWest dramatically inflates the appraised vale of the pieces they sell, especially the giclees (fancy name for a print), lithographs and seriographs. If a print of any kind is not hand signed by the artist and is only signed in the plate, it is of minimal value and most often the most valuable aspect of the piece is its frame.

So, enjoy the auction for the champagne and the entertainment, but exercise restraint and set a firm limit on what you are willing to spend on any piece.