How are pax advised of itinerary changes ?

CanadaJulie

Just watching the weather for our Bermuda cruise that leaves in 2 days. Possible tropical storm brewing... Funny because we hesitated between it and another leaving Florida to do the Eastern Carib - which is also being affected by Danny...

On another thread someone said that if the weather was that bad, they'd change the itinerary. Since this is leaving from New York for 3 days in BDA, it's not so easy to just swap one stop for another. You'd have to make a decision pretty early in the game.

How are guests advised of itinerary changes on flights like this ?

Just watching the weather for our Bermuda cruise that leaves in 2 days. Possible tropical storm brewing... Funny because we hesitated between it and another leaving Florida to do the Eastern Carib - which is also being affected by Danny...

On another thread someone said that if the weather was that bad, they'd change the itinerary. Since this is leaving from New York for 3 days in BDA, it's not so easy to just swap one stop for another. You'd have to make a decision pretty early in the game.

How are guests advised of itinerary changes on flights like this ?

They can make a decision after the ship sails, it is not something that has to be done early. If a decision is made prior to sailing they will let you know by giving you at letter at embarkation. If the decision is made after sailing you will get a letter in your cabin.

Diversions happen all the time and the ports and cruise lines are all used to it and handle it well.

Edited by zqvol

They can make a decision after the ship sails, it is not something that has to be done early. If a decision is made prior to sailing they will let you know by giving you at letter at embarkation. If the decision is made after sailing you will get a letter in your cabin.

Diversions happen all the time and the ports and cruise lines are all used to it and handle it well.

For most cruises, I'd agree that a decision can be made after you sail. But for a cruise leaving NY and going to Bermuda, I assume it would be infinitely more difficult sailing for 2 days towards Bermuda, then changing their minds and making a huge detour towards a different stop, no ?

The models of Invest 97L seem to indicate it would be clear of Bermuda by the time the Breakaway would arrive on Wednesday.

In any case, I'm not really sure where they'd be able to divert to. The closest Eastern Caribbean ports (Port Canaveral, Nassau) will probably be full (5 ships in Nassau when my parents were there on the Gem a few weeks ago). Plus with Danny headed that way...

Hopefully 97L won't turn into anything and leave you with a 7 day cruise to nowhere.

Edited by richg35

For most cruises, I'd agree that a decision can be made after you sail. But for a cruise leaving NY and going to Bermuda, I assume it would be infinitely more difficult sailing for 2 days towards Bermuda, then changing their minds and making a huge detour towards a different stop, no ?

This happened just this time last year for my parents on the Summit. Storm was coming captain told them they were going to try to steam ahead of the storm to Bermuda then after a day of that they turn west and docked in Port Canaveral.

On one cruise out of Los Angeles we were notified of a change of itinerary due to a hurricane on Day 2. On another cruise out of Tampa we were handed a piece of paper upon boarding that our W. Caribbean cruise was going to be an E. Caribbean cruise. They will wait until the last possible moment to decide since storms often do what the forecasters think they will do.

No. If there is something going on that might cause a delay/problem with the embarkation port, they will place updates on the web site in advance. With no postings there, the cruise will go as planned. The ship/headquarters are monitoring minute by minute if there is a storm and will keep you updated on the ship. So far no reason to anticipate much of anything.