B2B turnaround day in Civitavecchia

2910car

Looking for ideas for our turnaround day in Civitavecchia. Don't know if we should try to go into Rome (I think over an hour each way) or do something closer, but have no idea what. We have been in Rome twice, once for 4 days, so have seen the major sights.

Any ideas for Civitavecchia or somewhere closer to it than Rome? Or should we go back to Rome. We will need to be back on the ship by 3:30. For that reason, there are no ship tours offered.

Pick one:

Ostia Antica

Tarquinia

Cerveteri

Bracciano

and have a nice lunch after sightseeing.

Don't even think of going into Rome if you have to be back by 3:30.

Can you give me any information about the places you list. Thank you.

Ostia Antica - think Pompeii without the crowds. Right next to the town of Fiumicino, good restaurants by the shore

Tarquinia - Etruscan necropolis with beautiful paintings. Excellent museum.

Cerveteri - very extensive Etruscan necropolis, good town to visit for a short while

Bracciano - lovely setting by Lake Bracciano. Castello Odescalchi is the medieval castle where Tom Cruise and Christianne Amanpour got married (NOT to each other!)

All these places are closed on Mondays. My pick would be Ostia.

All are between 20-40 minutes from Civitavecchia.

Google them and search these boards. Lots of info out there.

Edited by marazul

If you are doing a lot of touring on both voyages I would just enjoy the day at Civitavecchia. There are some sites to see, and you can visit the market and also enjoy a leisurely time browsing stores and possibly even having lunch in town.

My experience is that most Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive and sometimes a day with not a lot of structure is a good idea.

Keith

Ostia Antica is a good deal more than 40 minutes from Civitavecchia if using public transit (trains). You've got to take the train to Rome Ostiense and change there for the local train to Ostia. It's more like 90 minutes each way, plus the time to get to the station and back in Civitavecchia and the wait between the two trains. In total I'd assume two hours each way.

Edited by euro cruiser

Ostia Antica is a good deal more than 40 minutes from Civitavecchia if using public transit (trains). You've got to take the train to Rome Ostiense and change there for the local train to Ostia. It's more like 90 minutes each way, plus the time to get to the station and back in Civitavecchia and the wait between the two trains. In total I'd assume two hours each way.

Not by car. There are many good car services that will take you there or any of the other places mentioned. If the OP plans to rely on public transport he doesn't have many good options. Tarquinia may be the only feasible option in the time frame. Or stay in Civi as Keith said.

Edited by marazul

If you are doing a lot of touring on both voyages I would just enjoy the day at Civitavecchia. There are some sites to see, and you can visit the market and also enjoy a leisurely time browsing stores and possibly even having lunch in town.

My experience is that most Mediterranean cruises are very port intensive and sometimes a day with not a lot of structure is a good idea.

Keith

Sounds good to me. Just have to convince DH who doesn't like to "waste time" when he could be seeing something. But you are right, after a 15 day Holy Land and Eastern Med cruise a day off sounds wonderful. Then more sightseeing on the first half of the transatlantic.

One question - can we just walk to the town from the ship?

Thanks so much to everyone for your help.