What do you request?

music

Along with LA CA Gal, we tend to engaged our cabin steward in conversation when we first meet, asking about their family, etc, and we have always felt by their respond that the gesture is truly appreciated as most of the crew do not see their families for months.

As for our needs, "Please keep my wine on ice" :D

Edited by janetz

First few entries were informative but this last few were entertaining. Good job ladies, and gentlemen, there will not be jello wrestling so stay seated LOL! Have a good evening all!

Large red font is really really scary.:eek:

Totally agree, except it would be kinda fun to see them jello wrestle!

I notice this often in emails, on social media, etc...it is so easy to take the written word out of context or to read other thoughts/meaning into something written. And the large bold red print certainly did get my attention!:eek:

Really??? I would be offended if I were a steward and you wanted to give me money for my shore time! These people are grown-ups! With families, bank accounts, bills and a job. This would be like giving little Johnny money for his big trip to the dime store! Just tip them at the end and they will be happy.

I will tell you a secret - we owned a B&B for 9 years and EVERY morning at breakfast the same conversation with guests - Every one expressed they've always wanted to have a Bed & Breakfast and every one always asked how I came to be an innkeeper. So EVERY morning at breakfast I would cheerfully relate the story and graciously answer the same questions day in & day out - why - not because I particularly liked it but because it was my bread & butter and because the guests liked it.

I try and take my cues from the person I am speaking with - some are quite happy to stay & chat others do it to be polite - that is how the hospitality industry works.

So just keep in mind these folks have had this same conversation hundreds of times and you are not making their day by being "interested" in them. This is their job - just treat them with respect. Do you ask the the girl at the drive thru or the clerk at the grocery these questions? They do not need to be validated as human beings - they already are and have lives beyond their jobs.

Regarding your assertion about the tip, perhaps you might be offended but they may not. If I were in a service industry that was far different from a B&B, I might appreciate the ability to deposit the money onshore or use it as an unexpected windfall for necessity shopping.

We are not overly chatty with the stewards or butlers but we always try to say hello whenever we see them and to thank them for the work they do. On our January cruise our steward seemed genuinely excited to tell us that this was his last cruise of the current deployment. Was he perhaps letting us know he was a human, had a family, and wanting to share that? Or, was he simply hopeful that sharing of the information might help increase his tip? Maybe both? Don't know but I enjoyed hearing about where he was from, his family and... he was the one who brought it up. Funny how that works. Everyone is different I guess.

Really??? I would be offended if I were a steward and you wanted to give me money for my shore time! These people are grown-ups! With families, bank accounts, bills and a job. This would be like giving little Johnny money for his big trip to the dime store! Just tip them at the end and they will be happy.

I guess that's where we disagree. I've done it many times and it didn't seem to cause offense. I get your point about not treating stewards as children, you're quite right, but often the steward is young enough to be my (adult) son, and a bit of cash as a thoughtful gesture before they go ashore is just that, a way to express my gratitude. To each their own.

Just curious to everyone who empties the fridge, what do you put in it? I know you can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom. How about wine glasses for the room?

We have medicines that need refrigeration. Also, we bring travel mugs and fill them with juice from the buffet. For sipping on the balcony.

Wee also ask the steward for an egg-shell mattress cover to make the bed more comfortable. Earlier request is better as they may run out of these.

Melissa