What do you request?

music

We have needed to request both the water pitcher and ice bucket on our most recent cruises.

In past years they used to provide both in all staterooms automatically, but then they changed the policy to make them "upon request" items, although there appear to be some inconsistencies.

I was either lucky or have a bad memory. It could be either or both.

Out of curiosity, what is new to you if you sailed many times on Royal?

Being new to Celebrity, I don't know the things this line offers, different from RCL. I have only sailed RCL and maybe thought they would have different things. Always good to check with the people who sail often!

And the question might help someone else with something they might not have thought of or knew they could ask for.

Edited by music

Being new to Celebrity, I don't know the things this line offers, different from RCL. I have only sailed RCL and maybe thought they would have different things. Always good to check with the people who sail often!

And the question might help someone else with something they might not have thought of or knew they could ask for.

Thanks, i have only sailed RC and considered Celebrity but have not yet. Just wondering what you were thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
No prey tell why one would do this

Just as a gesture of kindness and to give them some extra spending money while they're in port. I've heard from many stewards that they choose to sleep on the time off, but I've often seen staff in port having a meal or shopping.

We haven't been on Celebrity for almost two years.

So regarding the ice issue. You have to REQUEST ice (and bucket:p) daily? Will ice (and bucket) be in our room when we embark? Our TA usually leaves us a bottle of champagne that we drink on our balcony at sailaway. If there's no ice (and bucket) there we'll have to go get some, I guess.:confused:

If getting ice appears a problem on embarkation day for your cabin steward and that is highly likely go up to the Oceanview bar and ask for a champagne or beer bucket of ice and take it back to your cabin. Probably quicker and easier. Your wine will cool quicker if you add water to the ice as it will get all around the bottle and cool it quicker

If getting ice appears a problem on embarkation day for your cabin steward and that is highly likely go up to the Oceanview bar and ask for a champagne or beer bucket of ice and take it back to your cabin. Probably quicker and easier. Your wine will cool quicker if you add water to the ice as it will get all around the bottle and cool it quicker

And let me add to that, get 2 champagne buckets and stack inside each other. the air space adds a layer of insulation, and the ice lasts about 8 hours longer than without, also less condensation drippage.

ON M class ships, find the Butlers pantries across from the PH's, they have at least 50 champagne buckets stacked next to giant ice machines, easy self-serve, rarely is the door closed and locked.

On S class pantry also exists, though I'm not sure of location and availability.

Getting ice and a bucket is not a problem.....but it is helpful for the staff to know what your preferences are. For example, we just returned from a cruise that embarked in UK. So our cabins cam stocked with electric tea pot, cups, varieties of tea etc. We are much more COLD beverage drinkers so asked the tea tray be removed (for space) and instead have an ice bucket with fresh ice each time our cabin is made up. It is just a ONE time request!:p

Getting ice and a bucket is not a problem.....but it is helpful for the staff to know what your preferences are. For example, we just returned from a cruise that embarked in UK. So our cabins cam stocked with electric tea pot, cups, varieties of tea etc. We are much more COLD beverage drinkers so asked the tea tray be removed (for space) and instead have an ice bucket with fresh ice each time our cabin is made up. It is just a ONE time request!:p

Our experience has been much the same. We request the ice bucket and water pitcher only once, at the beginning of the cruise, and they are refilled twice each day when the stateroom attendants service the cabin.

Actually, they often swap them out for new ones that they bring around on a cart, instead of refilling the same ones.

When we get an electric tea pot on a cruise, we put it away up on a shelf in the closet.

Our British friends did the opposite. :D

We gave them all our tea bags.

Edited by varoo

Just curious to everyone who empties the fridge, what do you put in it? I know you can bring two bottles of wine per stateroom. How about wine glasses for the room?

Water or soda bought in port. Don't really care to spend $6 for a bottle of Evian.

• 2 months later...
I have been unable to read this. Can anyone enlighten me please? :)

It reads (in part):

FOR YOUR COMFORT

We are pleased to offer you a personalized sleep experience featuring the Celebrity eXhale Bedding program. This includes custom premium mattresses, plus duvets and pillows and 100% pure Egyptian cotton linens.

Pillow Menu includes: Body Pillow; Hypo Allergenic; Isotonic Pillow

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Ok, probably random question about the beds... I travel solo and much prefer to have them together. But...

When I've cruised Disney not a problem as they are smart and have queen beds period. LOVE it!!

On HAL there was a strap that went around the sides to hold them together and a thing that was put in the center to help alleviate the dip. That gave a little lump, but not bad.

Last summer on RCCL they were together, but seemed to be "held together" by simply pulling the sheets tight when the bed was made up. I woke up the first morning with a leg and arm in between the mattresses - went to guest services, and the girl sent a notice to housekeeping to have them "extra sheet it". So it seems they don't do the strap thing but hope that the sheets will hold the mattresses together. And yes, unless I consciously stayed on one side of the bed (one of the beds) I would continue to wake up with one or more appendages in a cavern between the beds - and I left it that way so it would be obvious they were not "sticking" but nothing was ever done and I didn't want to waste time hanging out at GS complaining. I've already decided that for my upcoming RCCL cruise they get two nights - the first, and then if necessary after complaining a second night - to get it right, and then I will just request that they be separated and deal with a puny twin bed. 12 nights of getting eaten by mattresses is not my idea of relaxation.

How are the beds held together on Celebrity? Do they actually strap them? Or do they just pull the sheets tight and hope that people don't get eaten?

....the rooms are so small if everything isn't put away and neat I would go bonkers. :D

That's my hubs and me!!! We are ASTONISHED at what some of the cabins look like. Fortunately we are both equally addicted to keeping the cabin neat.

The sheet method. They figure most of the people have been married for a LONG time and keep to their own separate sides. ;)

Ugh. Well, as a solo who likes to starfish it up, I'll keep my fingers crossed that my Reflection steward (and also my Brilliance steward this summer) is more adept at sheeting so that the beds STAY together than my steward on the Radiance was.

Our cabin is very tidy, too. It's more comfortable for us and much easier for the room steward to get in and do his job. We request two things: That he open the partition between our balcony and my sister and brother in law's balcony so we can sit outside together AND ice in our ice bucket every day. We are easy to get along with and truly appreciate what our steward does for us.

Don't want to take the thread in another direction but...has anyone given their steward a bit of tip when you know they're going off ship for personal time off?

Not when we think they may be going ashore, but just as a matter of course. Most hospitality staff work very hard and long hours for modest wages. We make it a habit to bring about $100 in small bills on every vacation, whether land based or cruise. We tip the steward $10 on the day of embarkation. We feel much better about special requests knowing that we have compensated for the extra effort. We throw the remaining $90 to wait staff/bartenders over the course of the trip. We just love seeing the smiles we get in return!!!

That's my hubs and me!!! We are ASTONISHED at what some of the cabins look like. Fortunately we are both equally addicted to keeping the cabin neat.

b would you and your husband mind coming to live with us, as we are not addicted like you are!

It would be greatly appreciated and a big reward can be a yearly cruise! :D

bon voyage

Ugh. Well, as a solo who likes to starfish it up, I'll keep my fingers crossed that my Reflection steward (and also my Brilliance steward this summer) is more adept at sheeting so that the beds STAY together than my steward on the Radiance was.

You could ask for an egg crate mattress topper, which might help prevent you from being eaten by the bed.

And let me add to that, get 2 champagne buckets and stack inside each other. the air space adds a layer of insulation, and the ice lasts about 8 hours longer than without, also less condensation drippage.

ON M class ships, find the Butlers pantries across from the PH's, they have at least 50 champagne buckets stacked next to giant ice machines, easy self-serve, rarely is the door closed and locked.

On S class pantry also exists, though I'm not sure of location and availability.

Thanks, best tip I've seen on the site in a couple of months!