Celebrity & Dancers out there - Please read

bandp407

We have sailed on Reflection several times out of Miami. "Active" is not a term that goes with that ship. The food is great as is the service. It has been probably the only ship I have used the term "bored".

Don't understand how you could be bored. All ships have highly developed and organized activities. Now, you may not find any of them appealing but that's another conversation.

Basically, if you find it boring on ship A can't imagine how you wouldn't be bored on any other ship, at least within the same line.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Don't understand how you could be bored. All ships have highly developed and organized activities. Now, you may not find any of them appealing but that's another conversation.

Basically, if you find it boring on ship A can't imagine how you wouldn't be bored on any other ship, at least within the same line.

The Activities Staff was cut from 5 down to 1. Trivias were reduced. Live bands played around the pool during the sail-away and the first sea day only. There were no Beyond the Podium speakers. I can go on. It is called cutbacks. I did enjoy myself at the 3 ports we visited and the 3 productional shows on the ship.

Thanks very much Tagsalong - I thought I was clear but obviously not to all. My hope is that Celebrity might see this and even though a long shot, perhaps review their music offerings & types of bands playing on their ships. The direction they are heading in is is a huge negative for many. Additionally, I wanted to let cruisers out there know where some options for great music and dancing exist.

I was told that the cruise company read our review so if we all put our effect together and complain a lot, they might value us dancers and let us have better location and music and time to dance. I had been cruising since the seventies and noticed how the newer ships got bigger but dancing location got smaller and with less bands.

Hands down.... the absolute BEST entertainment we have ever seen on a ship was the BB King Blues Club Band!! They were so MUCH fun, and they rocked the house! We danced every night and really enjoyed it. :)

We hope that this BB King Band is on noordam Oct 3rd ,21 day SD to Sydney cruise .:D

Although we are Elite + on Celebrity ,they can not fill all wants & needs . If RCCL ships come to the California ports when the new wider ,longer canal locks open ,we would gladly sail on the RCCL ships ;as we have in the past .Celebrity pretty much doean't sail from California ports with the exception of aoccassional Canal Cruise (we have done 2 with X) ;)

I was told that the cruise company read our review so if we all put our effect together and complain a lot, they might value us dancers and let us have better location and music and time to dance. I had been cruising since the seventies and noticed how the newer ships got bigger but dancing location got smaller and with less bands.
Cruising is the only time DH and I get to dance, and it is a highlight of our cruises. Yes, I've noticed the cutbacks and more use of recorded music not suitable for ballroom dancing. I find this surprising what with all of the popular dance competitions currently on television. If the desire to feature trendy activities is any indication, ballroom dance venues would be a obvious choice. I notice that people who don't dance like to watch others dance, and I personally love the calorie-burning exercise as well as the joy it brings. It is a fun experience even if we (especially we) are not experts who take lessons like many who enjoy utilizing their skills. I have certainly mentioned this in my comments after the cruise. It's been a cruise line tradition since the old transatlantic days, and I'd hate to see it die due to cutbacks. Cunard keeps it alive, and even NCL (from what I've been told) is featuring it on its newer ships.

Celebrity has made a concerted effort to attract the younger affluent crowd of 30-60, thus the Modern Luxury company motto.

Unfortunately for the ballroom dancer crowd this is not what Celebrity envisions or is going after. My view on ballroom dancing it's in the minority and peoples view that it is perceived to be for the older crowd. Dancing with the stars is a popular show but that's all it is, a show. How many venues in cities are full with ballroom dancing patrons?

Personally I like the direction Celebrity is moving towards with in the Modern Luxury category and was happy to see ballroom dancing phased out in favor for other types of entertainment and dancing dollars. Other cruise lines can embrace this type of dancing which is great for them, but it will not be where I'm spending my cruising money.

Cruising is the only time DH and I get to dance, and it is a highlight of our cruises. Yes, I've noticed the cutbacks and more use of recorded music not suitable for ballroom dancing. I find this surprising what with all of the popular dance competitions currently on television. If the desire to feature trendy activities is any indication, ballroom dance venues would be a obvious choice. I notice that people who don't dance like to watch others dance, and I personally love the calorie-burning exercise as well as the joy it brings. It is a fun experience even if we (especially we) are not experts who take lessons like many who enjoy utilizing their skills. I have certainly mentioned this in my comments after the cruise. It's been a cruise line tradition since the old transatlantic days, and I'd hate to see it die due to cutbacks. Cunard keeps it alive, and even NCL (from what I've been told) is featuring it on its newer ships.

Dancing on our cruises is also a highlight for my DH & I & thus the reason we are so disappointed in Celebrity's direction. Based on the replies to this thread it is apparent many other Celebrity loyalists are as well. Cruise Critic members make up such a small number of actual passengers. Let's hope those people are expressing their discontent in their surveys.

CELEBRITY ~ please hear us & bring back good live dance music!!!

I'd love to see more traditional dance music (and I'm Gen X) but as someone said, dancers are in the minority...most younger people want urban/hip hop mixes spun by club-style DJs. I find it sad myself, but don't see them changing anytime soon.

We have sailed the Reflection twice & the Silhouette twice. Other than our first experience on the Reflection( D'Revelations the band) in 2013, the bands have been so so & the amount of dance music has truly been scaled back.

We will be trying the Reflection once again in December & hope to have an experience like our first - D' Revelations where are you!!

Hi,

We enjoyed D'Revelations as well. They played a large variety of music and their lead singer (Sindy) is the best I have encountered on the high seas. Not many can sing Celine Dion and Whitney Houston songs well - she does!

They were on the Infinity when I last checked in June' 15. We are hoping they will be on the Millennium when we sail her in Jan. 2016.

We are in our 30s and still don't like the change in music on Celebritys ships. It is a lower standard to replace all or many of the top notch bands celebrity had in the past with a dj. It certainly reduced our loyalty since it was always a very nice touch to listen to the bands during sailaway or their sets at pool on seadays.

We found that amount and quality of live music now on rccl. Still, we prefer celebritys product. Really hard choices to make in the future:) let's see what virgin cruises has to offer in a few years...

• 1 month later...
We are in our 30s and still don't like the change in music on Celebritys ships. It is a lower standard to replace all or many of the top notch bands celebrity had in the past with a dj. It certainly reduced our loyalty since it was always a very nice touch to listen to the bands during sailaway or their sets at pool on seadays.

We found that amount and quality of live music now on rccl. Still, we prefer celebritys product. Really hard choices to make in the future:) let's see what virgin cruises has to offer in a few years...

We are older, but still love to dance to DJ music...Found lots of it on Equinox last year.

We missed being able to stop by various spots on board to relax and listen to live music by duos, etc.

Our biggest disappointment was having very little enthusiasm and uninspiring from the band at sailaways, especially the first one. There were 4 just people dancing...Weather was fine. People just stopped by and kept walking.

Also missed the dueling piano bars (think it was on Princess).

Love everything about Celebrity except for the entertainment.

Reflection had great Jazz as well as 70s and 80s music from a band in February 2015. One of the DJs, Skylab Sounds was very good. We also enjoyed the Video killed the Radio Star in the Sky Lounge a couple of nights, where we danced to 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

I'm not a ballroom person, so I have no idea if that was played. We weren't impressed with the CD Alex, but after a couple of cruises with Paul Baya, it makes sense. Alex tried to replicate a couple of Paul's acts, and didn't really do it well.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Have done 20 cruises mostly on Royal and X. Over the last 20 years dance music and chances to do it are less available by far. Some of the space has been devoted to more cabins or pay restaurants. Dance floors do not make money and are getting smaller and more used for karoke, contests and whatever they can dream up. The problem is that not many people dance. Floors for years have been empty, and the companies changed. I do not like it, as dance is one of the reasons we go. For a long time we could dance as much as we wanted, but not now. Have Infinity booked in Nov, and it looks like Rendevouz lounge and Constellation are the only options, and I can see them booked for other things. The only hope is to book a large ship that was designed to have space for dancing. Voyager class does all right, last Nov. out of Houston it had great music. I think this is something we all saw coming. I am currently looking at Princess or HAL just to find a dance floor. As Elite on X I am tired of not getting to do what I want at night. Most entertainment has always been good, in theater, But I am not that old(64) yet that I want to go to bed at 9:30! Celebrity listening?:mad:

Have done 20 cruises mostly on Royal and X. Over the last 20 years dance music and chances to do it are less available by far. Some of the space has been devoted to more cabins or pay restaurants. Dance floors do not make money and are getting smaller and more used for karoke, contests and whatever they can dream up. The problem is that not many people dance. Floors for years have been empty, and the companies changed. I do not like it, as dance is one of the reasons we go. For a long time we could dance as much as we wanted, but not now. Have Infinity booked in Nov, and it looks like Rendevouz lounge and Constellation are the only options, and I can see them booked for other things. The only hope is to book a large ship that was designed to have space for dancing. Voyager class does all right, last Nov. out of Houston it had great music. I think this is something we all saw coming. I am currently looking at Princess or HAL just to find a dance floor. As Elite on X I am tired of not getting to do what I want at night. Most entertainment has always been good, in theater, But I am not that old(64) yet that I want to go to bed at 9:30! Celebrity listening?:mad:

Yes we have the same experience really miss the opportunity to dance on most of our recent Celebrity cruises, we are not ballroom dancers but really the Foyer dance floor is too small for more than half a dozen couples, plus the photographers step ladders plus the people who just wander across the floor. Maybe with the inclusion of the drinks packages on a lot of cruises, perhaps Celebrity would be happier if we weren't all just sitting drinking. Here's hoping for better music and better dance floors.

On our most recent Summit cruise 9/6-20 14 night New England/Canada cruise they were actually playing great - according to me - music in the martini bar and not that loud. Real music. Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Oasis, Blue Oyster Cult. Basically all the music I love.

It was canned music, so one night when the DJ was standing near the entrance to the bar I asked who selected the music as it was the best music I've heard played in the Martini Bar in all my 21 Celebrity cruises.

His response to me was: "You will never ever her this music again on any other Celebrity sailing."

I asked why and he said the 7 night cruises would never had have this music playing and it's only becauise it's an older crowd. I said well I'm not that old. Then he back tracked and said oh no, don't get me wrong it's good music, but they won't play this on regular 7 night cruises.

Now my son is only 25 and I can't tell you how many of my CDs or I-tunes songs he's stolen. Good music, is good music no matter what age you are.

I have yet to find anyone who likes this DJ plus Percussion stuff they call music that they now play on their ships.

Edited by CruisingChick

For the same reasons - Celebrity's lack of of dance music - we tried HAL last March & enjoyed it very much. The BB King Blues Club band( GREAT) had everyone up dancing & another group "the Band" also played a good amount of dance music. Look into one of HAL's Signature class ships - Nieuw Amsterdam & Eurodam or their very new one the Koningsdam. You will certainly have more dancing options than Celebrity has had - hope it changes sometime soon!! Also RCCL with Boleros & Dazzles was a lot of fun. If Celebrity did more with their music - the Sky Lounge is great space - we would not be looking to move to an alternate cruise line. We have our fingers crossed for our December Reflection sailing-hopefully not just wishful thinking!! Like many - perhaps not a majority - we enjoy dancing on our cruises.

I agree that they would just like most of us to sit around and drink-especially at the prices! I like a drink too, not just as my sole reason for being there. I really think that if they would just use their space better. There are many hours when a little canned music in the Constellation lounge or R. square would be nice. I think we will have to vote with our feet, and be sure to let X know why we are leaving! Most CDs I have talked to have no clue what dance music is.:(

DW and I are 57 and 60 and like the opening post, we love the nightlife, especially dancing. We were on the Silhouette in February and found the house band (the lead singer was a blonde, English woman) to be one of the best I've seen on seven cruises. The Skyview Lounge was really lively every night, except the nights when the main entertainment was in the main lobby (a special Valentine's Day event when they only played slow songs - quite romantic, and a 70s disco night featuring the ship performers).

Most of the music they played was for the babyboomers - Motown, Beatles, early rock and roll, 70s classics. Most importantly, they played it well.

The mainstage productions were fabulous, better than usual. They also had two very good comedians and the most original (and funny) ventriloquist act I've ever seen. I can't specifically remember the other acts, only that DW and I really enjoyed them. We were on the Eclipse in 2013 and this was much better.

I seem to recall that the very excellent cruise director was an Englishman named Richard (I think) who was funny enough to be a comedian in his own right.

We did notice there wasn't an acapela group or classical trio this time, which would've been nice.

DW and I are 57 and 60 and like the opening post, we love the nightlife, especially dancing. We were on the Silhouette in February and found the house band (the lead singer was a blonde, English woman) to be one of the best I've seen on seven cruises. The Skyview Lounge was really lively every night, except the nights when the main entertainment was in the main lobby (a special Valentine's Day event when they only played slow songs - quite romantic, and a 70s disco night featuring the ship performers).

Most of the music they played was for the babyboomers - Motown, Beatles, early rock and roll, 70s classics. Most importantly, they played it well.

The mainstage productions were fabulous, better than usual. They also had two very good comedians and the most original (and funny) ventriloquist act I've ever seen. I can't specifically remember the other acts, only that DW and I really enjoyed them. We were on the Eclipse in 2013 and this was much better.

I seem to recall that the very excellent cruise director was an Englishman named Richard (I think) who was funny enough to be a comedian in his own right.

We did notice there wasn't an acapela group or classical trio this time, which would've been nice.

Thank you Artmc - you have given me hope!! Perhaps Celebrity is coming around and hearing us!!

Yes we have the same experience really miss the opportunity to dance on most of our recent Celebrity cruises, we are not ballroom dancers but really the Foyer dance floor is too small for more than half a dozen couples, plus the photographers step ladders plus the people who just wander across the floor.

We are Elite (20) cruises, and could not agree more with the above. What in hell were Celebrity thinking? The bottom of a stairwell, almost below the elevator shafts, and a crossing place between guest relations and a bar with limited seating? Not my idea of a "dance floor"!

Granted, the dance floors of the Rendez-vous Lounges were not huge, but at least each was in a dedicated room with lots of seating, its own bar and bandstand.You could have your own table, with drinks and someplace to sit between dances. On S-class ships, you are very fortunate to get either barstools or a table. The C-and M-class ships designers got it right!

Bill

That would be Richard Spacey--THE best CD IMHO. He makes the cruise.

Eclipse had ballroom dancing (recorded music) several times in the sky lounge, we went two nights. One night 4 couples danced and the other never more than 2 couples. The interactive parties had the dance floor full whether in the sky lounge or the atrium. Seems many haven't learned ballroom steps but are comfortable with pop music dancing.

There were options for both on our cruise in August.

The Activities Staff was cut from 5 down to 1. Trivias were reduced. Live bands played around the pool during the sail-away and the first sea day only. There were no Beyond the Podium speakers. I can go on. It is called cutbacks. I did enjoy myself at the 3 ports we visited and the 3 productional shows on the ship.

Was this on a particular sailing or is it true fleet wide? We are not dancers but the speakers have often provided the highlights of entertainment on board.