No More Next Cruise Certificates ?

Ashland

Is this true...No more NCC's :confused:

Even though the obc isn't much of an incentive (if at all) anymore. I still would want to purchase them for the reduced deposit factor. Especially when I book for our extended family cruises...10 passengers x normal deposit :eek:

Rarely onboard do I or am I prepared to book future (multiple) cruises and sometimes those schedules I might be interested in aren't even open yet...I much prefer booking in the comfort of my home (researching online then calling RCI) directly with no stress involved.

So is this true no more RCI NCC's ?

Edited by Ashland

They still existed as of 2 weeks ago, but the rep I worked with onboard admitted they were trying to get rid of them and successfully discouraged me from buying one by pointing out that they are $100 vs $50 for booking a specific itinerary, and the OBC for booking a specific itinerary is higher. Not by much, but $25 is $25.

So, I ended up booking a random cruise that I know I'm unlikely to take, just to have the $50 deposit and be able to book something way out (once the 2017 Summer schedules are released) and not tie up $500 in deposit for years. So, you can still buy the $100 next cruise certificate if you want, or just book a cruise for $50 and keep pushing it out until the schedule comes out for the cruise you want to take. You can wait til 2018, 2019, whatever you want. Just remember to change the reservation before the deadline or you'll lose your deposit.

They still existed as of 2 weeks ago, but the rep I worked with onboard admitted they were trying to get rid of them and successfully discouraged me from buying one by pointing out that they are $100 vs $50 for booking a specific itinerary, and the OBC for booking a specific itinerary is higher. Not by much, but $25 is $25.

So, I ended up booking a random cruise that I know I'm unlikely to take, just to have the $50 deposit and be able to book something way out (once the 2017 Summer schedules are released) and not tie up $500 in deposit for years. So, you can still buy the $100 next cruise certificate if you want, or just book a cruise for $50 and keep pushing it out until the schedule comes out for the cruise you want to take. You can wait til 2018, 2019, whatever you want. Just remember to change the reservation before the deadline or you'll lose your deposit.

Thanks...seems like a lot of hassel...and tying up specific cabins that I don't intend to use...Still like the old FCC aka NCC.

Thanks...seems like a lot of hassel...and tying up specific cabins that I don't intend to use...Still like the old FCC aka NCC.

Yeah, that's a valid point. You can still get the $100 next cruise certificate. $50 extra dollars is negligible, just remember that the next cruise certificates aren't refundable so if you decide you hate Royal Caribbean or you never want to cruise again for some reason, you're out $100.

Yeah, that's a valid point. You can still get the $100 next cruise certificate. $50 extra dollars is negligible, just remember that the next cruise certificates aren't refundable so if you decide you hate Royal Caribbean or you never want to cruise again for some reason, you're out $100.

There was always a back door way to refund them. Just use them to book a cruise and then later cancel it.

I hope that they are not a thing of the past. I have always kept several around and was going to buy some more next month. I'm running low (only have a little over half a dozen left:rolleyes:).

Non-refundable meaning that if, at some point in time, you do not want to convert it into a cruise, RCI will not refund your deposit. However, if you convert your Next Cruise into a specific cruise and then cancel you will be refunded your initial deposit.

Edited by cruisenfever

Non-refundable meaning that if, at some point in time, you do not want to convert it into a cruise, RCI will not refund your deposit. However, if you convert your Next Cruise into a specific cruise and then cancel you will be refunded your initial deposit.

I was just going to ask how this works.

I have two certificates that I purchased in May 2013. If I use them to book a cruise (2 cabins), and then cancel that cruise before final payment, then I get the deposits back?

Also, how much is the OBC?

Yes...that's always been my understanding too...I would never use the word "cancel" when needing to reschedule a booked cruise :eek::D

I am also down to my last few "golden ones" and will hopefully buy some of the new ones (3 pp) in two weeks on the ROS.

I was just worried when I read another post that seemed to say they were no longer available....RCI doesn't want to "hold" my $$'s for awhile ;)

I have two certificates that I purchased in May 2013. If I use them to book a cruise (2 cabins), and then cancel that cruise before final payment, then I get the deposits back?

I believe this is the version you purchased:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/NextCruise/13033003a_NextCruise_OpenBooking_Form_US.pdf

They are REALLY cracking down on this now! There are some new rules with both the Certificates and Booking on board. If you book on board, you are only allowed to change ship or sail date once or lose OBC. (If you took the OBC on board the ship you booked it on, you can only move it once period). With the certificates, if they see you have booked the nonrefundable certificate, they haven't been refunding it.

I have noticed on both the fine print has changed. It is still a good program, but if you are a person like me and likes to book and change prior to final payment just to hold a spot - beware!

They are REALLY cracking down on this now! There are some new rules with both the Certificates and Booking on board. If you book on board, you are only allowed to change ship or sail date once or lose OBC. (If you took the OBC on board the ship you booked it on, you can only move it once period). With the certificates, if they see you have booked the nonrefundable certificate, they haven't been refunding it.

I have noticed on both the fine print has changed. It is still a good program, but if you are a person like me and likes to book and change prior to final payment just to hold a spot - beware!

I wasn't aware that the reservations could only be changed once. That's good to know. In that case the next cruise certificate is a better option in my book.

There was always a back door way to refund them. Just use them to book a cruise and then later cancel it.

I hope that they are not a thing of the past. I have always kept several around and was going to buy some more next month. I'm running low (only have a little over half a dozen left:rolleyes:).

Have no NCC left and was going to get some as well on our cruise. Like the low deposit but not the hassle or rules then for the $50 booked ones.:confused:

I don't think this is the case anymore. When you book onboard now your deposit and obc are the exact same, For example a 7 day cruise in a balcony will be $100 deposit per room and a $100 obc. You can elect to take the $100obc on the current cruise you are on or on the future cruise. You can change ship and sail date as much as you want. So it really makes the old ncc useless especially since the obc was only $25. I even changed mine from Rccl to Celebrity last month.

The deposit and obc go up with higher room categories and sailing days but remember they match, so I think a suite on a 12 day cruise is $500 deposit and $500 obc.

The only caveat is if you choose to take the obc on the cruise you are on now your deposit becomes nonrefundable (because you already spent the obc they gave you) but again you can move ship and sailing dates as much as you want.

I'm with the op though, I really like the lower deposit, for 2 rooms it costs me now $200 when it would have cost $1000.

I had called 2 weeks ago to make a change for next year. This wasn't a Future Cruise Certificate but an actual booking I made on board, They made the change for me, but told me that if I made a second change they would reduce the OBC to what a FCC amount would be. (I guess they are different now?)

Everything depends on when you bought the certificate/made the reservation with Future Cruise Sales.

I was just advising to read the small print because they have different rules depending on when you purchased/booked.

Did you make your onboard booking after mid March 2015 when the rules changed again?

I made one after that time and changed it, then went to change it a second time and was told only ONE change was allowed. When I booked it onboard (took the OBC later) I was told you could make as many changes as you wanted. I explained this to the gal and she insisted that even the NEW ones you could only change once if you take the OBC later.

End of story I called again and had it changed with no problem so I really don't know what the rule is.:confused:

According to the RCL website you can change the instant OBC ones as many times as you want but if you take the OBC later you can NOT change without penalty.

Edited by molly361

That was not the case when I tried to cancel a cruise I had booked with a NCC.... They told me I had to rebook something right then or loose my $100 x 2 deposit if I cancelled outright. I booked another cruise... [emoji1]

No you do not. Advice don't buy them unless you know you are going to use them. They are transferrable to others before you book tho...

No you do not. Advice don't buy them unless you know you are going to use them. They are transferrable to others before you book tho...

Like all things Royal it most likely depends on the rep that you speak to. Others have posted that they have received refunds once the NCC has been converted into an actual cruise.

Between October of 2013 and June of 2014 I had to cancel 7 cruises that were all booked by converting a NC Certificate. Some were after FP and some were before FP. We were reimbursed 100% on all 7 cruises, so yes, your NC deposit is refundable after converting it.

Edited by cruisenfever