Shuttle from Airport to Manhattan Cruise Terminal

sesameking

A fair number of flights from Boston go to LGA, too. From LGA, just take a cab directly to the cruise terminal. From JFK, the 'best' way is to take a cab, but the most cost-effective is probably a shared ride 'airporter' bus from JFK to Penn Station, then a cab from there to the cruise terminal.

The cheapest way is the airtrain to the LIRR to NY Penn Station then walk to the pier but you can grab a cab at that point. Even though the public transportation option sounds like a p.i.t.a. it's really not. I did it (in reverse) with a big rolled suitcase at rush hour. It wasn't bad at all.

There is a shuttle to Penn Station, and from there you can walk or take a cab. I'm not sure about a train (I'm in NJ). I think it's around $17 pp.

I would not suggest walking from Penn Station to the port. It is about 20 blocks or more. A cab is the better way to go from Penn Station.

From La Guardia a taxi is best - probably about $45 all in. From JFK the cheapest is the Air Train plus subway to Penn Station is $7.75 per person. There is no way you would want to walk that particular mile and a half hauling luggage, so you'd want a taxi for $10 or so. The cheapest for two would be $25.50 and involve hauling bags on to Air Train, from Air Train to subway, and up from subway platform.

Air Train plus LIRR to Penn Station would cost $12.25 per, for a total of about $35 - an easier transfer and faster ride ( if there is not a wait for the train). Why not give yourselves a break and spring for a taxi direct from JFK to Cruise Terminal - about $55. A comfortable ride, not hauling bags on and off trains for about an extra $25-$30?

Cheapest & possibly easiest way to get to MCT from (downtown ?) Boston is - Bolt Bus or MegaBus, fares are cheaper - either way, arriving a day earlier as always recommended due to weather & other unforeseen transportation disruptions, etc. etc. There is also scheduled transportation, affiliated with NCL, that do it from Boston - with additional pickup points via NH & CT.

But, the options will continued to be debated - i.e. driving in & parking at the pier or nearby with the discount, etc.

Cheapest option from NYC area airports to MCT is - the winner: LGA - all the way back to the Eastern Airlines (too old for many of you, perhaps) and Delta/US Air's (formely) hourly shuttle services to/from BOS & DCA.

This is assuming you travel light and can manage your backpack/personal bag and 22" carry-ons (we do TPAC with the same, ditching 25" rollers) to use the Q70 limited stop bus to Queens "E" subway and/or LIRR station at Woodside to Penn Station, with elevators & escalators (if it's out for maintenance, a good early "stairmasters" workout ... huff, huff, puff, puff) to W. 49/50th Street station @ Times Sq. North, the closest to Pier 88/90 with a 4 long city blocks walk - or a very short taxi ride.

Purchase a MTA MetroCard at the airport's kiosk or Hudson Newstand - $2.75 per person or $5.50 for 2 traveling together - $11.00 for the round trip and depending on how you purchase it - $1.00 for the Card's deposit. Travel time is generally about 1 hour from LGA's terminal to Time Square + 15 to 25 minutes walking (and/or taxi "connection")

And, you can pickup soda and/or bottled water (really not necessary, IMHO) along this route in the area, or, bottled wine to bring on the ship (corkage fee applied & collected)

From JFK I agree with the others - the air train to LIRR to Penn Station then can it. Easy to get a cab from Penn there is a taxi stand when you exit Penn on 7th $ 31st. Cab fare probably about $20 but always depends on traffic. Still not a bad way to go & takes no time at all. From LGA I would go with cab direct to pier. Or try to find a car service from airport to get a set price & no traffic worries or cabbie trying to take advantage

From La Guardia a taxi is best - probably about $45 all in. From JFK the cheapest is the Air Train plus subway to Penn Station is $7.75 per person. There is no way you would want to walk that particular mile and a half hauling luggage, so you'd want a taxi for $10 or so. The cheapest for two would be $25.50 and involve hauling bags on to Air Train, from Air Train to subway, and up from subway platform.

IF you were to take the subway, you would NOT be going to Penn Station, you would go to Port Authority. I have no issue walking and have done so. But from Port Authority, it's simple to just cross the street and pick up the 42 bus, then a real short walk.

Last winter, I had to take a cab from Port Authority, ran into horrific traffic, with a hefty cab fare, at least double what has been quoted. So, it can and does vary, especially if you have to dropped off at the port. With traffic it's going to be cheaper to get out on the east side of the street, and walk across.

From JFK I agree with the others - the air train to LIRR to Penn Station then can it. Easy to get a cab from Penn there is a taxi stand when you exit Penn on 7th $ 31st. Cab fare probably about $20 but always depends on traffic. Still not a bad way to go & takes no time at all. From LGA I would go with cab direct to pier. Or try to find a car service from airport to get a set price & no traffic worries or cabbie trying to take advantage ��

Keep in mind the level of cost efficiency changes based on per-person pricing for transit. Airtrain is $5.50, LIRR is 7.25/10.00 depending on when you go, per person. For 2 people, if you're going when it's peak LIRR traffic, that's $31; plus the cab from Penn to MCT of another ~$20 and you're pretty much at the cost of a cab that takes you straight there ($52+tolls/tip, budget ~65), much faster, with no shenanigans of hiking your luggage around trains and stairs and all the other stuff. You also don't have to pay extra on that cab ride if the traffic is bad in the city.

IF you were to take the subway, you would NOT be going to Penn Station, you would go to Port Authority.

Granted I did it the other way but took an NJ transit train to NY Penn Station to the LIRR to Jamaica station, to the airtrain to JFK. It was really easy. My response assumed the process would be the same in reverse. The Port Authority is for buses & subways, I think.

Granted a taxi or car service is the easiest because you come out of the AP, get in the car & sit there but it is the most expensive way into the City and if there's traffic it can be a long ride.

Edited by trish1c