Dress code and offending people

gualalamama

So if they are being deterred they are still somewhere on board?

Not liking this at all!

I think the poster was hoping they would be deterred before booking. There is always NCL if one wished to wear baseball hats and denim work overalls into the dining room for supper.

Riff raff = disreputable or undesirable people.

Do you get a lot of these on Cunard? I may have to cancel ....

No, no - RIFF RAFF from Rocky Horror Picture Show (he finds a way to sneak on board and hide in the shadows - until Formal Night!) :D

As a long time Cunarder, I actually find it rather sad that Cunard's silly hype about dress codes, etc., makes potential passengers wary about booking, worry about offending others (what kind of holiday is that?), and causes them undue anxiety when they should be having the time of their lives.

Dress smartly, relax, be yourself, enjoy the experience, and do not be intimidated by the hype and the wannabe fashion police who lurk herein.

As a long time Cunarder, I actually find it rather sad that Cunard's silly hype about dress codes, etc., makes potential passengers wary about booking, worry about offending others (what kind of holiday is that?), and causes them undue anxiety when they should be having the time of their lives.

Dress smartly, relax, be yourself, enjoy the experience, and do not be intimidated by the hype and the wannabe fashion police who lurk herein.

It's only a worry to those who want to push the envelope yet still not be turned away on formal nights. As Lakesregion correctly pointed out in post #246 one has only to view the promotional material to know what is acceptable.

This thread as over 100,000 views. So clearly many don't want to see evening dress standards further compromised.

Edited by BlueRiband

"Looking smart" is subjective. The time, money and effort it would take to dress up is simply something in which I have no interest. I am not being critical of those that get a kick out of such things, it is just not me.

I live in California, and there are oodles of very decent restaurants where one need not dress up. I haven't been to a formal wedding in years as others in my family are down to earth, outdoor types who tend to have weddings in places like Yosemite where a dress would NOT look smart! If a wedding demanded something formal, I would do my best to get out of going. If I HAD to dress up, I could, but I wouldn't like it. :)

In response to several other suggestions - We are thinking of a TA in October departing from the US, not the other way around. Thus, there do not seem to be many choices other than Cunard. We fly to Africa every year and I am looking for alternatives to the long flight. A ship seems like a nice alternative for part of the trip, and an opportunity to relax while en-route to my idea of the perfect vacation. I would not be the least bit embarrassed to not dress up, I just wanted to know if it is possible to do it without offending people.

You don't have to dress up if you do not wish to. There are plenty of alternatives on the one or two formal nights. Please do not be put off! You are going to have the time of your life on CUNARD. In fact, you're going to fall in love with this cruise line.

You don't have to dress up if you do not wish to. There are plenty of alternatives on the one or two formal nights. Please do not be put off! You are going to have the time of your life on CUNARD. In fact, you're going to fall in love with this cruise line.
However, the number of formal nights on our last crossings earlier this year were 3 on Eastbound and 4 on Westbound. I wouldn't go so far as to say there are "plenty" of alternatives on formal nights. None of the cocktail lounges/bars (on decks 2,3, or 9) allow informal dress on formal nights. Other than the Winter Garden on deck 7 (possibly the Carinthia after the 2016 refit), there isn't much to choose from other than on deck 7 after 6pm if one absolutely insists on not even trying to adhere to the formal dress code on designated formal nights. Why anyone would choose subject themselves to this is beyond me. A cocktail dress for the ladies and a dark suit and tie for the man is all that is required.

... I wouldn't go so far as to say there are "plenty" of alternatives on formal nights. None of the cocktail lounges/bars (on decks 2,3, or 9) allow informal dress on formal nights. Other than the Winter Garden on deck 7 (possibly the Carinthia after the 2016 refit), there isn't much to choose from other than on deck 7 after 6pm if one absolutely insists on not even trying to adhere to the formal dress code on designated formal nights. Why anyone would choose subject themselves to this is beyond me. A cocktail dress for the ladies and a dark suit and tie for the man is all that is required.
Well said, thank you.

So this thread is still going strong! Just back off our latest crossing and I don't recall seeing anything too untoward in the MDR. Yes, there were one or two people wandering about in 'ordinary clothes' on the 4 formal nights, but I felt they were very much in the minority.

I honestly don't understand what the problem is regarding what to wear. Cunard has a policy which, unless you can't read, makes it very clear what clothing is 'expected' of people who choose to travel on the QM2.

For a man it couldn't be easier: a dark suit, slightly fancy shirt and a bowtie - none of which should cost the earth. Here in the UK we have Primark, I'm sure there are similar shops all over the world. For a woman, slightly more thought - perhaps a couple of smart dresses, or a long(ish) skirt and several pretty tops. With accessories these outfits can be made to look different so the person wouldn't have to buy a whole new wardrobe.

If you don't want to spend a fortune most cities have Charity Shops full of fantastic clothes and the money you spend there will go to good causes.

Problem solved?

October is long over. The OP either sailed on QM2 or not.

Indeed, I think the OP has long since decided whether to sail on Cunard.

Thank you all for your valued contributions to this thread but I think everything that needs to be said probably has been (several times) so I will be closing it.