Taxi Service at Sea-Tac

rkacruiser

I accessed the web site for Sea-Tac this evening, looking for approximate cost for a taxi from the airport to a downtown hotel. I was "amazed" at what I found. Can the information be correct?

Seattle Yellow Cab seems to be the "exclusive" operator to/from the airport. Correct?

Flat rate fare of $40. Correct?

But, to get to the cabs, one has to leave baggage claim, look for signs for the skybridge to the North and South Parking Garage, drag the luggage there at which time one will be on the 4th floor of the Garage and then have to figure out a way of getting to the 3rd floor of the Garage in order to get the taxi.

How can this be correct? Certainly, it is not user friendly, particularly for someone who have never been at Sea-Tac before (like me).

I have never been at an airport where ground transportation, i.e. a taxi, could not be directly obtained after leaving baggage claim.

If this "most unfriendly set of directions for a visitor" is correct, I assume Sky Caps will be available to assist with such a situation.

Please provide your insight. Thanks.

Every time I have been in Seattle, I have used flatrateforhire.com. They pick you up from the DEPARTURES level. Call them when you have your luggage and, for me in the past, by the time I got up to the upper level, they were there. I have used them at least a dozen times and had great service every time. You can get the price from their website.

Edited by pizzalady1

Yellow Cab has the contract with the Port so they are the only company who can stage at the airport.

It's not a flat fare INTO Seattle. Depending on traffic and where you're going, it costs about $40-$50. The flat fare is only from downtown TO the airport.

It's not THAT difficult to reach the taxi line. You just take the elevator or escalator up one floor, walk across the skybridge into the garage then go down a floor.

Other cab companies can pick up passengers at the airport IF the passenger has a reservation; they can't drive thru looking for fare.

ie flatrateforhire/eastsideforhire is a flat rate company and will pick up at the curb by baggage claim. They charge about $30 to downtown. Plug the zip code of your hotel into their web site for an exact fare. They use Prius cars primarily so there are more than 2 in your party, you'll need a larger car.

STILA has the contract for car service so they always have cars staged at the airport. They have a flat fare and as of 3 weeks ago it was $45 to downtown. You call them from baggage claim and they'll drive down and pick you up at the curb.

Edited by mapleleaves

I agree with mapleleaves, it's not hard at all to get to the taxi stand. It's a short skybridge to the parking garage. Once there you have the option of taking an elevator or escalator down a level.

I can't imagine the mad house it would be if the taxis mingled in with the rest of the pick up traffic!

Now...if only the Port would approve Uber pickups...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in baggage claim you find a bank of phones with hotel ads etc. Go to the phone and push 'ground transportation'. Ask for a town car and you will be charged a flat $45 to downtown. They will pick you up at the door closest to where you are in baggage claim. It couldn't be easier.

Not a taxi but a towncar service that I can't say enough about...

I highly recommend SeaTac Towncar Services while in Seattle. AJ is so nice, I know, because we have used him a few times for transportation needs while in Seattle. His number is (206) 697-5577. He is happy to give you a quote over the phone, he has a towncar that seats 4 comfortably that I think is $55 from the airport to Pier 91 or $45 to Pier 66 downtown...also hotels downtown. He has a SUV Chevy Suburban that is $65 from airport to Pier 91. I also think he has a 10 passenger van that is $12 per person (minimum 7 people). We have had him pick us up from Pioneer Square and also downtown Seattle for about $25 and was ALWAYS on time, friendly, and great competitive prices. Here is his website that I just looked up. http://www.seatactowncar.com You will be happy you gave him your business Hope this helps you and others looking for transportation reviews. Hello from San Diego!

Many thanks for the informative replies.

I note that there was no answer about Skycap availability.

It sounds like STILA would best suit my needs, particularly if there is not Skycap availability. I don't care to lug/pull luggage very far from baggage claim in order to obtain ground transportation.

Does STILA have a web site? Nothing indicated on the Sea-Tac ground transportation page and Google did not turn up anything other than cosmetics by the same name.

you may wish to read the forum on Seattle on tripadvisor. On the top right you will see 'Ways to get into downtown Seattle.

. Not sure what else you need to know about STILA. It is an assoc of towncars that have the exclusive contract at Seatac. Just like the cabs the Port of Seattle regulates towncars. They are based in the garage and are always available without a reservation. While you may get 100's of independent 'town car guys' the only ones staged in the airport garage will be STILA or Shuttleexpress.com which also has towncars at a higher rate.

Sorry to be ignorant... is "downtown" where I would go to get to the Princess cruise terminal? Anyone have a cab rate for that trip?

no, princess uses pier 91 which is a few miles north of the downtown core, so the fare is several dollars more than the rates shown above.

Stila towncar would be closer to $55 and a cab with eastsideforhire.com about $35. For the yellow cab fare, use the Port link posted above.

there are skycaps but they are few and far apart. For a group they seem to be around but generally you can find one, however not many people use them. The cabs are really easy to get to but the STILA towncars are for sure the easiest.

Thanks for your input Dan G.

My travel agent in Seattle recommended two companies, one of which seems to be limousine only. Don't need/want that. I am going to call STILA to get their town car price, which is what the other firm offers. I will do a comparison as to price. But, if one can pick me up outside of Baggage Claim, which STILA can do, and the other one can't, guess which one will get my business. It is NUTS to make travelers "go up a level, cross a bridge, down a level" in order to get ground transportation.

When I flew into LGA last October, I expected a hassle in getting from baggage claim to a taxi. I engaged a Sky Cap, he got me into the taxi line and in a taxi very quickly, much faster than I would have been able to do so on my own. I am disappointed that a modern city such as Seattle seems to be not able to match/exceed my experiences in New York City.

Edited by rkacruiser

Since Stila is regulated by the Port of Seattle any other towncar either you have to call and let them know where you are, or you pay extra to have a meet and greet person however they then have to go get the car and bring it around so overall STILA is the easiest. That stands for Sea Tac International Limo Assoc.

Thanks for your input Dan G.

My travel agent in Seattle recommended two companies, one of which seems to be limousine only. Don't need/want that. I am going to call STILA to get their town car price, which is what the other firm offers. I will do a comparison as to price. But, if one can pick me up outside of Baggage Claim, which STILA can do, and the other one can't, guess which one will get my business. It is NUTS to make travelers "go up a level, cross a bridge, down a level" in order to get ground transportation.

When I flew into LGA last October, I expected a hassle in getting from baggage claim to a taxi. I engaged a Sky Cap, he got me into the taxi line and in a taxi very quickly, much faster than I would have been able to do so on my own. I am disappointed that a modern city such as Seattle seems to be not able to match/exceed my experiences in New York City.

At SeaTac getting to taxi stand is much easier than most airports. It is a 50-10 ft walk from baggage claim to the escalator and across the Skybridge -100 ft and then down the escalator to the taxi stand to your left. If you can't use the escalator, they have elevators. Walking to the dinning room on the cruise ship will take longer. You will never have to wait for a taxi, as there is a continues line of taxis. Most taxis are Pruises that hold 3 passengers and 6 large suitcases.

Our experience at SeaTac at disembarking , easy to get to but taxi line long and slow .Across the street private cars ,limos and vans . We actually went across the street after about 30 minutes and were lucky enough to snag a private town car already waiting for passengers that apparently never showed up.

We are planning to take the light rail from Seatac to Westlake. Is the train hard to find from the baggage area? From the maps I could find, it looks like you just take the skybridge across...are there lots of signs to direct you? Do you pay for your fare before boarding or are there cash machines onboard?

Thanks