Have you ever had people give you a hard time with your children on a cruise?

JandD Mom

Hi all,

Has this ever happened to you, and if so, what did you do about it?

We were on a cruise on a ship that I will not name. However, we had a quad balcony cabin - a larger than normal one that we paid extra money for. It is a fairly upscale cruise line.

ABout 2 days into the trip I got a phone message from security telling me they got calls from "other passengers" saying we were making too much noise on the balcony. Now when I tell you we were on the balcony for *maybe* 1/2 hour, that day, it would be a stretch. In fact we were hardly ever on our balcony. However, when we did go out we were with our children and we did have normal conversation. ALso, we had only been on the balcony in the daytime (not even morning, we are talking afternoon).

We figured out it was the people next to us who called (because they started making rude comments to a family we traveled with when they saw them in the halls). That night, these people proceeded to be roudy and talk loudly well after 11 pm. At that, I called security and asked them to put a stop to it. They did.

A couple of days later, we are coming into port at around 12 noon. We were on our balcony, along with our children and the children of the other family we traveled with. We were talking to the kids about the ship coming in, explaining the tug boats etc, and the people at a ship along side us started to wave and say hi to the kids. The kids started to wave back and said "ahoy matey" several times. They were having fun. They were not being loud, obnoxious, or roudy (I also note we weren't even drinking - just talking). At that point the people next to us started to tell the kids to "shut up." To which my sister in law told them to mind their own business and keep quiet. I then called guest services to tell them they had to put a stop to the harassment we were experiencing by these people.

At that point guest services told me that they told our neighbors (who apparently called them to complain about us) we were well within our rights, using the balcony properly, and that they were to leave us alone. Guest services also told us we should stay on our balcony and enjoy ourselves and call them back if these people bothered us again.

I spoke to people in the cabin on the other side of us, who were travelling with one child. The mother said she was similarly being bothered by the people on the other side of their cabin. They were directly adjacent to ours, and I never heard noise from them or their child. She said she never heard noise from us either.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What did you do about it? I have to say, guest services was supportive of us, and I thought handled it well. But I never saw so many rude obnoxious people in my life.

The funny thing is that if these people would have had courtesy to say to us something like "could you possibly try to be a little quieter?" we would have obliged.

Notes to people who want solitude: (1) do not book yourself on a ship carrying over 3000 people; (2) do not book yourself a cabin that is around quad cabins because you will have kids near you; (3) if you don't want to be around kids, book a ship with limited kids facilities.

No one ever gave us a hard time.

Well, just once, an elderly lady was standing between 2 tables (occupied by members of my family) in the Horizon court looking out at the iceberg as we did the inside passage on the Diamond Princess. My son accidentally bumped into her and she thought we were pushing her away. But she was the one squeezing between my son and my daughter. She sneered at my son. Of course we apologized. Afterall, my son did bumped into her. But she wasn't happy with the apology and looked at us like we shouldn't be there. So I apologized some more and removed my kids from the area.

That has always been my policy of removing my children from public areas if they are noisy. Even in the cabins, I'm constantly telling them to be quiet. We have been lucky, no complaints.

I think you were just unlucky and got a difficult neighbor.

When we were in Hawaii this year, we did feel a snear or two from some "older" passengers because of our two children. Yes my son was 1.5 yr, and wanted to run down the halls, but we made an effort to quiet him and show him it is unacceptable behavor. We stuck to the childrens pool away from the adult pool. The only major problem we had was on a bus ride were my son cried most of the way home (he was getting tired).

But you know, I paid the same money for my cruise and if I want to travel during the non-summer season too bad for them!

When we were in Hawaii this year, we did feel a snear or two from some "older" passengers because of our two children. Yes my son was 1.5 yr, and wanted to run down the halls, but we made an effort to quiet him and show him it is unacceptable behavor. We stuck to the childrens pool away from the adult pool. The only major problem we had was on a bus ride were my son cried most of the way home (he was getting tired).

But you know, I paid the same money for my cruise and if I want to travel during the non-summer season too bad for them!

I am sure everyone on the bus enjoyed hearing your child cry on the way back. That is a problem with alot of people "to bad for them". Those people probably wanted to enjoy a quiet trip back without a child screaming. After all, they paid money also.

As for the op, sorry you experienced this problem, just sounded like you had some evil people next door.

It's funny but the people that complain about children also treat older people in wheelchairs and/or walkers and disabled folks of all ages like dirt. Why- who knows.

And forget don't teenagers (no matter how well behaved) with piercings, tatoos, etc.

And yes- believe it or not- Young men & women in Military uniforms- my two oldest are in the service.

Here's a good one. Although not on a cruise, we were on vacation in arizona with my husband's son and daughter in law, his son was about 30 at the time. We were staying at an upscale suite type hotel so we were all in the same "room". Sitting by the pool one day relaxing my husband struck up a conversation with a gentleman, when my husband told him we were traveling with his son, he automatically assumed we had a child with us, as he was lecturing my husband on whether this was an appropriate place for children, and how children should behave, my husbands son (who looks JUST like him) walked up and said "hi dad, need a beer?" I thought the gentleman was going to have a heart attack, he was so embarrassed (as he should be). We sure got a good laugh out of it.

I think it would make for much happier passengers (those of us without kids,as well as families) if the cruise lines would make at least one corridor per deck reserved for those cruising without kids. I know it would be a welcome treat for those of us that like to sleep in late, or go to bed early without having to listen to babies screaming and pre-teens running up & down hallways.

Then, everyone would be happy. :)

I think that if you want to cruise and not be bothered by children, then you need to find cruises that are for elderly people. Crusie ships are trying to dedicate themselves as family oriented. They have wonderful kids programs, pools, food ect... just for the little ones.

We just got off the Explorer of the Seas this week and were at the pool with our three children. There were many other children there also. The cruise director came up and gave the kids beach balls to throw around in the pool. They were having a great time. A woman in her late 50's was sitting in the shallow end of the pool. She complained to the parents that they should take their kids elsewhere because she was getting slpashed. The parents around tried to calm the children, but the cruise director stepped in and let the lady know there was a pool for adults only and maybe she would like it better there.

I was amazed and I think the lady was shocked. She got up her stuff and left. She might not travel again with RCI, but we were very happy.

I am sure everyone on the bus enjoyed hearing your child cry on the way back. That is a problem with alot of people "to bad for them". Those people probably wanted to enjoy a quiet trip back without a child screaming. After all, they paid money also.

As for the op, sorry you experienced this problem, just sounded like you had some evil people next door.

They had to listen to our crying child, we just had to wait for hours for them to shop before we could leave.

With the very greatest respect, bplazo, i don't suppose Kuffam wanted to sit and listen to her child screaming away either. Sometimes these things just happen, and its part of going about in society (screaming kids, drunks, grumpy child-haters, people who are hyper-sensitive to noise, etc).

I would have been bothered by listening to a screaming child on a bus ride, but I would just remind myself that when we got back to the ship, I could go and have a nice big gin and tonic, while the poor mother would have to contend with the ratty screaming child for even longer. It's swings and roundabouts really.

We had a similar experience with a very grumpy old man at the poolside. He was sitting on the side of the pool, legs dangling in the water, but evidently didn't want to get wet!:confused: My children (9 & 11) were swimming (not splashing or being rowdy) and he screamed at them that they were "ruining his holiday" and threatened to have them removed from the pool. I've always taught my children to respect adults, so I went to them & told them to please be more careful and to try not to swim to close to this gentleman. Then I waited for him to leave the area so I could speak to him privately. While I was waiting a large group of teenagers came to the pool area, cannonballed into the pool splashing everyone within 10 feet, yelled & laughed loudly and generally acted obnoxious. While several people politely asked these kids to stop, the bully who had no trouble yelling at young children didn't say one word to the teens! It was wonderful when I finally was able to confront this man about his behavior. Of course, he got loud and belligerent with me as well, but a few fellow passengers rushed to my defense and told me that I had wonderfully behaved children & not to let this man ruin our good time. Granted, we were travelling on a line known for their elderly passengers, during the school year and in Europe, so there were very few children aboard. However, there should be no reason why passengers should treat children so badly even when they are following the rules. This line has a kid's club, there was no "adults only" pool, and I paid full-price for my children's tickets. We chose this cruise because the itinerary and timing fit what we were looking for. Elderly passengers present just as many, if not more, difficulties on board than kids. One unstable woman with a cane gave me a bruise that lasted longer than our trip when she lurched towards me coming thru a narrow doorway. I would never scream at her, yet people have no trouble doing that to children.

Oh, and I find it hysterical that someone would suggest you shouldn't have a crying toddler on a bus! A movie theater, the dining room, these I could understand, but a BUS- come on! What are you supposed to do, avoid all public transportation until they are 18?

If a little inconvenience from children ruins one's entire cruise, then I suspect their enjoyment of a cruise wasn't much to start with. It's called give and take. We're taking our 10 month old on her first cruise in Nov. And can't wait. It'll be more fun for us then the last 7 we went on without her, regardless of how people perceive us. If the people inconvenienced by kids would just drink a few more boat drinks, I'd imagine kids would bother them less!!! ;)

Most of the problems we have encountered are just situations where adults think that they don't have to treat children like people. They bump into a child and don't say excuse me. They "butt" into line in front of them at the buffet. They don't/won't move aside to let a child through a narrow passageway.

Once, my then 8YO DD went back to the cabin to get a sweater - I was waiting near the stairwell at one side of the passageway and could see her the whole time. She got to the cabin and in, during the time that she was in the cabin two 40-50 somethings came out of their cabin walked about three steps and stopped. Two adults do a really good job of blocking a passageway on most ships and these two had it blocked. They were talking about something when my daughter left our cabin and started back toward me. I started toward her and was close enough when she got to these adults to hear her say "excuse me please" and then moments later "excuse me please, I need to get through" both times, both adults glanced down at her - no other acknowledgment - but continued their conversation and DID NOT MOVE! Finally I got there, said "excuse me" bumped them to grasp my DD's hand and pulled her through - TO ME, one said "oh, excuse us"

Another time a woman from a table next to ours in the dining room commented VERY LOUDLY to one of her tablemates that when she was young it was considered very rude to read at the table. My DD (then about 9) was very upset at this comment, because it was obviously aimed at her - she was reading, but she had asked if she could, and I had told her it would be OK to do so, since she had finished her meal and was not interested in conversation because 1) not everyone was finished eating (and thus not conversing much), and 2) everyone else at our table for 10 was 40YO or older. I really hadn't expected her to sit through almost two hours of a meal quiet as a churchmouse! From that meal on, when she had finished, either my husband or I excused ourselves (which I had been taught was somewhat rude) to take her up to the children's area and sign her in for the evening's festivities. We always made certain that neither the waitstaff or our fellow diners should wait or otherwise inconvenience themselves on our behalf during these brief absenses, but it still galled (sp?) that this woman took it upon herself to comment upon my child's behavior when it was in no way disruptive. Had it been a family dinner, no reading would have been allowed.

Another time a woman from a table next to ours in the dining room commented VERY LOUDLY to one of her tablemates that when she was young it was considered very rude to read at the table. My DD (then about 9) was very upset at this comment, because it was obviously aimed at her - she was reading, but she had asked if she could, and I had told her it would be OK to do so.

I'd like to think that I would have said to DD, "I'm so glad you enjoy reading - it's so important!" It's hard enough getting kids to read today. I brought my eldest to a business meeting/luncheon when he was 10, and he read a book through most of the meeting and lunch. The comments I received were "How old is he? He's so well behaved!" Perhaps your tablemates would have preferred a kid who couldn't sit still...

I have really been trying to hard to pepare my kids for thier up-coming first cruise. We've talked about being courteous to older people, and I guess I need to add to that they need to be courteous even when others are not.

I guess one thing to keep in mind is that cruises can be hard on old people and kids in that they have a more difficult time being out of thier regular environment. Maybe even harder on kids because they can't go have a margarita when they get stressed out.

We went on a cruise Thanksgiving week in 2003 with family and got into an elevator to head to dinner. I had my 11 month old daughter, SIL had her two kids and my uncle has his young daughter.

Mind you, we had all simply stepped on the elevator. No one was misbehaving, there wasn't even to time for them to have begun misbehaving.

A man said "to himself", but quite loudly: "I went on vacation to get away from children!" My FIL was also in the elevator, and he simply stated: "Well, I went on vacation to get away from a**holes. I guess we're both disappointed."

Now I usually don't advocate using profanity in front of little kids, but he said it so quickly and matter of factly; it was perfect for the situation. It really put that man in his place.

No parent, that I have ever met, wants their kid to EVER cry in a public place for an extended period of time. Believe me it is not easy to listen to even when they are yours. Parents move heaven and earth NOT to have that happen and will do almost anything to get it to stop, NOW! If a parent does not appear to care I will bet the farm it is because they just are so tired they cannot muster the energy to care. Also no one EVER goes into a situation expecting a meltdown just to upset other people. Everyone gets grumpy sometimes. I have seen overly tired adults be rude and horrible to people they love when they are overtired.

Personally, I think a child acting up is much worse for the parent than anyone else. When I see a young child having a melt down, I really feel for the parents. I remember the days when my son was younger & occasionally behaved in a "not so perfect" manner. I was totally humiliated! :eek: After all, it was MY child misbehaving. :o If someone else's children act out, it's not my problem. Therefore, it doesn't bother me in the least. That said, I would get upset, if I saw a child running over & under the tables in the dining room or similar bad behavior. Things like this aren't acceptable anywhere, at any age. IMHO, that's not the child's fault. I would be terribly annoyed with their parents though. These same parents are usually just as rude & misbehaving. The common theme I see on this board that I feel is the root of most problems is the idea that "this is my vacation". If we all would think of it as being "everyone's" vacation, we would be a lot better off. Again, this is just my humble opinion. :)

When my son was about 16 months old my DH was putting up the Christmas Tree. We have a wooden platform that we screw the stand into so the tree is raised and very sturdy. The cordless screw driver kept spinning out of the screw,and slipping out of my DH's hand. He kept yelling "F***-it" every time this happened with an occasional "S***" thrown in.

Later that day my son and I went to the craft stor to pick up a few things for the christmas decorations. As I was pushing him around the store in the cart he started yelling outlout "F***-it" and "S***". Of course I was horrified. Luckily my sister had taught me a great technique that only works with Toddlers I responded "Yes that's a bucket" and "Chips, we don't have any chips right now, but we can stop at the store."

I guess if I was to put this back on topic, it would be to always try to set a good example for your kids, they learn more by observing you than by listening to you. Treat others on the ship they way you would want your children to behave, and they'll learn good behavior. People who complain to to much were probably raised by complainers.

Oh, and LOL, about the "I came on the ship to get away from a**holes, I guess we're both disappointed" That is pretty funny.

Oh, and I find it hysterical that someone would suggest you shouldn't have a crying toddler on a bus! A movie theater, the dining room, these I could understand, but a BUS- come on! What are you supposed to do, avoid all public transportation until they are 18?

I think people need to realize that a vacation doesn't mean that real life takes a holiday. Children don't disappear off the face of the earth because you pay for a vacation. Obnoxious people take vacations and are just as obnoxious on vacation as they are at home. Disabilities/chronic illness still have to be dealt with. Diapers (of all sizes!) still have to be changed. Babies cry and old people blow their noses like foghorns, middle aged men snore. People get drunk and hateful. All kinds of 'adult' annoyances are not ever dealt with or complained about because one figures they are more impolite to be mentioned as they are kind of unavoidable. Outright obnoxious children-talk to the parents. If its a crying infant/toddler, maybe the parent could use a hand instead of hateful glares directed at them.

Even if you get the pricey school timed low risk of children cruises, stuff happens. Crying babies? Hey, at one time we were all that crying baby! Thats part of being a human. So, lets all be human about it.

Archived