On Board Deposit and future credit?

septrack

While cruising the Sun last March, my wife and I put money down on a future unspecified cruise for the future cruise credit. Good Deal! Along with the letter showing our deposit (we each got one) we each also got a postcard invitation to invite others to join us with the same onboard credit.

Now, last month we booked a Dec 10th sailing on the Carribbean Princess. A week later space opened up on the Dec 3rd sailing as well and we booked it also. (We like back to back cruises and since we've taken about 14 Carribbean cruises (8 Princess) before, we really don't mind the repeated ports. We are beach people and love the three ports on this itenerary)

Now my question/problem.

I tried to use my letter and invite my wife on the first cruise to match my credit, and then use my wife's letter and her invite to me on the second to match her credit.

My T/A tried to work it but Princess would not allow it. When I spoke with a Princess rep, they first told me it doesn't work. I then went over all the fine print with them and they agreed, it doesn't say anything which should prevent it. They then told me I should qualify for it and to mail the invites into Princess. I did so and they were returned as not workable in this situation.

Clearly in my mind based on the info in my possession, we should be qualified for credits on both cruises. Has anyone had any luck trying to get these situations solved by talking to the Captain Circle rep on board. If not , oh well, its not the end of the world, but we might have taken a different trip the second week if not for our understanding.

I guess my point is we are being penalized for taking a back to back. If we didn't we would once again book a future cruise and be elgible for the credits. Since our next trip is the next week we can't coordinate it in time.

Any comments.....

Up to now, the policy has been that only one of you had to use the Future booking in order to get the future cruise credit. So that part of your plan should work, with or without the postcard.

If you are trying to use the postcard to get EXTRA credit, then I don't think they will allow that, those invites are to be used for a separate cabin, on the same cruise that you book, to get the same deals. So you would need another couple to do the back to back with you.

My DH and I both purchased the $100pp onboard (for a total of $200), future booking. We also received one invite card each for another person.

I used my $100 credit for our Halloween 2006 cruise on the CB and paid (with a credit card) $100 for my DH. I did NOT use the invitation card for him. I booked with Princess directly. The rep who booked it said we could save my DH future CC and apply it to a different cruise. We each also received the $50 onboard credit applied to the booking. A couple weeks later, we transfered the booking to our TA who gave us an additional $50/cabin onboard credit. So currently we have $150 on board credit, and $200 towards the cost of the cruise. ($100 Future CC & $100 on visa).

I don't know why you have to use your invite at all, we didn't. We still have his open booking $100 to dream about another cruise. :D

You should not have to use your "share the wealth" coupon at all. Just use one FCC for your booking and pay $100 deposit for your wife. You will both get the shipboard credit. Do the same thing for the second cruise; use the other FCC for you wife and pay $100 deposit for you. You will both get the same shipboard credit for each cruise. I do this all the time. I never use two FCC to book one cruise. It's just a waste of one of them.

You guys are really smart cruisers! We have cruised on three Princess ships and didn't know we could put a little deposit towards a future cruise. Is there an expiration date when we have to use the deposit and postcard future credit? Where on the ship would we do this transaction or find out more information about this?

I generally run the other way when I see a crew member on board who looks like they want to sell me something! like those goofy baby goblets with the Princess logo during our dining room experience or while lounging on deck.

You guys are really smart cruisers! We have cruised on three Princess ships and didn't know we could put a little deposit towards a future cruise. Is there an expiration date when we have to use the deposit and postcard future credit? Where on the ship would we do this transaction or find out more information about this?

I generally run the other way when I see a crew member on board who looks like they want to sell me something! like those goofy baby goblets with the Princess logo during our dining room experience or while lounging on deck.

Your postcards for the 'share the wealth' are only good for someone booking the same sailing as you, from my understanding. If you use both your future cruise bookings for this B2B and don't find anyone else that wants to join you, then the share the wealth coupons are usless. If you look at them they have the future cruise booking number on them.

Thanks everyone for chiming in! We just booked the Star for August 2006 to the Baltics. Also plan to book the Golden Princess for April 2007 to Mexico. This future cruise deposit will be put to great use. Sounds like I should wait until we are onboard the Star, make a future deposit and get a credit, and then book our Mexico cruise. We have four cabins committed for our Mexico cruise.

Thanks for this great tip.

Cynthia

Three more pieces of information.

You can only apply two Share the Wealth coupons to each booking.

If you book a future cruise while onboard it can only be booked for passengers onboard the ship at the time of purchase.

If you purchase open bookings with no cruise assigned to your FCC, your Share the Wealth coupons will be blank for you to fill in at the time you chose to invite friends or family on the cruise you decide to take at a later date.

We ran into the same problem with one of our bookings; had only one FCC and needed two for B2B. Always do your booking directly with Princess then turn it over to TA of your choice. Princess used one FCC for each booking and I paid $100 more for each booking. Very easy.

I try to have at least two pending FCC's, though now we have three (that's six). You just never know when the cruise bug will bite. :)

Arlene

Hi Arlene!

I'm curious as to why you recommend booking with Princess first rather than just turning the whole thing over to a TA?

I know you are a frequent cruiser and maybe I'm missing a benefit I can learn from your experience. I always just choose my cruise, then call my TA and give him my FCC number and he handles the whole thing. Is there a benefit I'm missing by not booking with Princess directly? Thank you for your help!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan.....

I do all the work; the TA gets all the credit. :) In any event, I like to do my own Princess booking because then I get Princess pricing. I can then compare what other on line TA's are offering for the same accommodation and compare that to what my regular TA is giving me. I can also follow the specific cruise in case the price goes down; it often does. The Princess pricing is always good and the TA pricing is always better. It's a win/win situation. Yes, the TA can follow prices too, however nobody can follow my cruises better than I can. :D

Now.... when you're short a FCC (which as stated I was), Princess takes care of it right away.

Right now I have 5 scheduled; TA already has them all. I don't have a set rule; calls em' as I see em'

Did I confuse you? Sorry.

Arlene

First let me start by thanking you for the ginger tabs information on the Sapphire 4-2007 roll call!:) Based on your approach for FCC do you find yourself using more than one TA to get the best price? I'm a newcomer to Princess and just trying to understand the most cost effective approach.

Thanks! Gail

I used to play musical TA's, but I now find myself using the same one. She seems to be the best one for Princess cruises and most of my cruising seems to be on Princess. :) I do have another local TA who (up until now) did very well with Royal Carib/Celebrity and another TA who specializes in Carnival. The only one who is "face to face" is RCI; both others are out of state.

GAIL - As I was finishing my unpacking (takes longer and longer each time) I noticed my ginger needs replenishing. Thanks for reminding me.

JONATHAN - Thanks. I usually smile as I write. Sometimes a lot. :D

Arlene

Thanks to all for your response. Now for the pertinent question.

When we booked our first of the back to back cruises, I only gave one FCC number to the TA. They called Princess who applied both FCC on the first cruise. The second cruise was a group booking with special pricing from the second agency which the first agency couldn't come close on. Anyone know if its possible to get this squared away, or is it hopeless at this point. Also I wonder if the Captain Circle reps have any real authority to fix this mess.

Thanks again & happy cruisin...

As I read it, the first TA should have corrected Princess booking of the two on the first cruise. You are missing out on the FCC portion for the second week, value varies but worth about $100 assuming you booked an outside or balcony. You probably would have to get both TA's to call Princess and explain that you wanted one used on each of the two weeks; it should not be that difficult since you have two booked cruises, and are very close to final payment. If that does not work, go see the Circle rep upon boarding, and explain again. You should get onboard credit for both weeks.

That same situation happened to me once too!

I simply called my TA and had them call Princess to have the one extra (the second one) FCC returned to my Captains Circle account and then paid an additional $100. applied to my credit card to cover the second person in my cabin.

It was easy and the second FCC was returned to my Captains Circle account for future use. In your case, you would have it transfered over to the other leg of your b2b.

That same situation happened to me once too!

I simply called my TA and had them call Princess to have the one extra (the second one) FCC returned to my Captains Circle account and then paid an additional $100. applied to my credit card to cover the second person in my cabin.

It was easy and the second FCC was returned to my Captains Circle account for future use. In your case, you would have it transfered over to the other leg of your b2b.

Crazsea- Did both your and your cabinmate receive the extra onboard credit with only you using your FCC?

Thanks- Mark

After getting some questions from my group in Alaska when we got home I checked with the onboard person aboard the Carib P last week and you can use your $100 deposit "future credit" for group cruises and for Alaska cruisetours without paying any extra.... which was something that needed clarifying for some!

Wow, I did not know that you could only use one FCC and both get the onboard credit. I'm a Princess Elite cruiser and did not know this. It's amazing the wealth of information on these boards. Guess I should have known that, having done so many cruises. But Princess doesn't tell you that when you book onboard. My TA evidently didn't know that either. Thanks so much for all the information. You guys are great!

Leaving on the Coral 10/5. Can't wait!!

I just used by FCC we got a couple cruises back to book the Crown in July....I have cruised Princess several times also and didn't know I could just use one FCC - I applied mine and my husbands to this cruise!! Thanks for the tip - I will give it a try next time...;)\

I really enjoy all the new info I get from frequenting these boards - keep the info coming. Our last cruise with NCL was made extra special due to the conversations and making new friends online before the trip. We met several times on board and even did excursions together - really adds to the anticipation....CC has been a great experience for us...:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all,

I was able to call back one of my FCC's and apply it to the second of the B2B. TA said Princess say they will give us each $50 on board credits for both cruises. Sure would of been nice if Princess would have been able to tell me how to resolve my problem when I spoke with them. Sure is nice to get the "real" scoop here. I don't think they were trying to keep the info from me, just the right hand not knowing what the left hand's policies are. Thanks again!

Archived