Your Comments - California Coastal Cruise

SteelMagnolia9

We've done the California Coastal twice already. We live in AZ so anything out of CA that's not the Mexican Riviera appeals to us.

Really enjoyed Santa Barbara as well...and being that the ship is primarily docked in the U.S., you can still use cell and data! :)

...I have been to San Diego about a billion times and never done the Midway...

It is a must-see! There is lots of walking and stairs, so be sure to wear appropriate shoes. For those with disabilities, about 60% of the tour will still be available to you via elevator. Bring AAA card if you have one for a discount on admission. Active duty and reservists with ID get in free; retired military with ID get discount. There are several good seafood restaurants within walking distance as well.

I was there just a couple of weeks ago, so above info should still be current.

We did the coastal on the grand, and we loved it. But since we know the area we got a car and could drive where we wanted to go. Right now we can't afford to cruise, but we would do it again in heart beat! We went in Oct and the weather for us was perfect.

Edited by USNUZULOOSE

Thank you Thrak and Colo Cruiser for the photos. I love the window in this cabin! I think this cabin is perfect for me.

You will have to report back! I have one of those Premium Oceanviews booked for a California Coastal on the Grand in March :D

I have taken several California Coastals on Princess, but always previously out of L.A. and never on the Grand. I enjoy the ports even though I live in California. I hope you do something fun in Santa Barbara, like maybe go wine tasting or whale watching. It's a lovely area. We enjoy exploring the port area in San Diego -- there are a lot of museum ships to enjoy, if you are into them. We went on the Midway last time were there and didn't get to see everything, so will probably go again next time. But if you haven't been to San Diego often, you might consider the zoo. Ensenada has a delightful wine country and fantastic fish tacos. In L.A., you might want to go over to Long Beach and tour the Queen Mary, or explore the Battleship Iowa, or go to Ports of Call for lunch. Hopefully you have some time in San Francisco before or after -- lots to do here! Enjoy your cruise!

I am going to do that next time. I have been to San Diego about a billion times and never done the Midway. We have done a few of the coastal cruises. Although we have been to all the port cities many times, there is always something new to discover. It's fun to be a tourist in your own neighborhood.

Hope you'll enjoy my first cruise ship...eating off tin trays & sleeping in 3 high bunks was an interesting experience. ;)

It is a must-see! There is lots of walking and stairs, so be sure to wear appropriate shoes. For those with disabilities, about 60% of the tour will still be available to you via elevator. Bring AAA card if you have one for a discount on admission. Active duty and reservists with ID get in free; retired military with ID get discount. There are several good seafood restaurants within walking distance as well.

I was there just a couple of weeks ago, so above info should still be current.

They even give Midway veterans a year of free admission plus one guest. And they try to take former crewmembers to their workspaces even if not open to the public.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hope you'll enjoy my first cruise ship...eating off tin trays & sleeping in 3 high bunks was an interesting experience. ;)

OT to AstroFlyer: The tin trays are about all that would fit comfortably in those bunks :). With that said, I regret to this day that I didn't do a "tiger cruise" many years ago when I had the chance.

Haha! You should post some pictures! :)

I was usually hidden under the aft end of an aircraft attaching the catapult's holdback device so not many pictures. :p

OT to AstroFlyer: The tin trays are about all that would fit comfortably in those bunks :). With that said, I regret to this day that I didn't do a "tiger cruise" many years ago when I had the chance.

Nope...no room service tin trays of food & only a 30 minute wait in the buffet line. :p

I had family join me on a tiger cruise sailing from Alameda under the Golden Gate for flight ops. That's when I learned that my mal de mer wife would need her meclizine to take a vacation cruise with me. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We went in October and weather was perfect- not too hot and not too cold-just right! Others on our ship rented a car in Santa Barbara and drove to Solvang for the day. Slovak is a quaint Scandanavian town.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate them.

I'll be coming from South Florida, so this cruise will be a new experience for me. From your comments, it looks like a winner! 4 port days to keep me busy and two sea days to relax.

One more question - what can I expect the weather to be like in September? I know it can vary, but is there a lot of rain or is it dry, temperature fluctuations, etc. ?

Thanks again, I have to put my deposit down no later than tomorrow as my booking is still on hold.

Thank you all for your comments! I really appreciate them.

I'll be coming from South Florida, so this cruise will be a new experience for me. From your comments, it looks like a winner! 4 port days to keep me busy and two sea days to relax.

One more question - what can I expect the weather to be like in September? I know it can vary, but is there a lot of rain or is it dry, temperature fluctuations, etc. ?

Thanks again, I have to put my deposit down no later than tomorrow as my booking is still on hold.

September weather will be almost perfect. Warm days, cool nights. Ensenada will be hot. No rain

Edited by victory2020