Your Comments - California Coastal Cruise

SteelMagnolia9

I've put a hold on a California Coastal cruise, Grand Princess, 7 days roundtrip, leaving San Francisco on 9/18/16. Selected Premium Oceanview and the description indicates it has a floor to ceiling window. Ports are Santa Barbara, LA/Long Beach, San Diego, Ensenada.

I'd appreciate your input and thoughts about this cruise before I put down my deposit. If you've stayed in the Premium Oceanview on this ship, I'd appreciate your comments, also. This would be my second Princess cruise.

Thank you!

I've put a hold on a California Coastal cruise, Grand Princess, 7 days roundtrip, leaving San Francisco on 9/18/16. Selected Premium Oceanview and the description indicates it has a floor to ceiling window. Ports are Santa Barbara, LA/Long Beach, San Diego, Ensenada.

I'd appreciate your input and thoughts about this cruise before I put down my deposit. If you've stayed in the Premium Oceanview on this ship, I'd appreciate your comments, also. This would be my second Princess cruise.

Thank you!

We have done similar cruise a few times.

Is that cabin on Lido deck? If so they are excellent and there are pictures floating around here somewhere. ;)

Did you get any promos?

Go for it!

We took the SAPPHIRE from L.A. to Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego and Ensenada. Itinerary-wise, it was the best cruise we've ever taken (and we didn't even get off the ship in Ensenada). I would do it again in a heartbeat. Excellent cruise.

We stayed on the QUEEN MARY two night before the cruise.

We booked same itin yesterday on Ruby for 2017. Switching over from Celebrity for this itin...looks great & seems Princess does it well! Go for it!

called today and they gave us the current perks......btl wine, 1 specialty dinner and grats...no OBC or drinks package but every bit helps!

We have done similar cruise a few times.

Is that cabin on Lido deck? If so they are excellent and there are pictures floating around here somewhere. ;)

Did you get any promos?

Yes, the cabin is on the Lido deck. There are 6 Premium Oceanview cabins on that deck. If you (or anyone else) remembers a link to those photos, please post them on this thread.

I'm going on this cruise solo, so I don't qualify for any of the current Princess promos.

I've been to San Francisco, but not to any other port on this cruise.

What's the weather typically like on California coastals in September? We were also thinking of bookng one around that timeframe.

You won't know tell then....but it will be between 70-100 day time

Left out of Sa Pedro in Nov once it was over 100 deg

Edited by LETS PARTY

What's the weather typically like on California coastals in September? We were also thinking of bookng one around that timeframe.

September is my favorite weather month here in Colorado and the California coastal's. However with the screwed up weather the last couple of years who knows what you will encounter. :eek:

We'll see if my link works.

No, unfortunately it didn't.:(

I loved my Premium ocean view; I would sit in the window sill and watch the waves go by.

Edited by Treven

September is my favorite weather month here in Colorado and the California coastal's. However with the screwed up weather the last couple of years who knows what you will encounter. :eek:

That's true. California weather has been unpredictable.

Thank you!

We did this cruise on the Crown and probably won't do it again. We live in California and have been to all those places many, many times. If you just like being on the ship out in the ocean go for it. It's not something we would spend money on again.

Edited by elliair

Go for it!

We took the SAPPHIRE from L.A. to Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Diego and Ensenada. Itinerary-wise, it was the best cruise we've ever taken (and we didn't even get off the ship in Ensenada). I would do it again in a heartbeat. Excellent cruise.

We stayed on the QUEEN MARY two night before the cruise.

During the swine flu outbreak a few years ago our Mexican Rivera cruise turned into a California Coastal with the same itinerary, Princess were the only line not to allow cancellations with no penalty, so we were stuck and having the family live in California made it a bit redundant, however, it ended up being a great cruise, it was nice to get off a ship and not have a Diamonds International sitting there waiting to be ignored.

I will say, heading north to San Fran was interesting, we had be warned that it's a rough journey north and they were not kidding.

What's the weather typically like on California coastals in September?...

The Southern California ports and Ensenada will typically be warm to hot in the daytime, but cool off quickly after dark while at sea. That time of year is generally the warmest and least foggy for SF, but still cooler than SoCal. Bring jackets or other clothing you can layer to stay warm if needed.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

I will say, heading north to San Fran was interesting, we had be warned that it's a rough journey north and they were not kidding.

It generally will be with the California Current chopping up the waves from about Victoria down to Cabo.

Edited by Treven

We have done 2 cruises in the Superior Ocean View ...MAKE SURE you do not get cabin closest 2 Lido deck door I heard it is noisy from door to deck opening .

Both times we were in Cabin next to suite LOVED IT .....Alaska was wonderful sitting in the window , the other time we did 10 day Mexico when I think a balcony may have been better .

Coastal California we had inside cabin which was OK as it was foggy and cool most days.

We took the California Coastal earlier this year...March, I believe. Even though we live here in the Bay Area we enjoyed seeing the towns on the itinerary, especially Santa Barbara. We had a mini-suite for that cruise but don't recall using it all that much. The weather was pleasant throughout the trip.

We are booked on the Grand for a cruise to Hawaii this November. We booked one of the 6 Superior Ocean View cabins on Lido deck intentionally because we didn't want a balcony (about the same price) with so many sea days. We are quite excited to be able to experience this cabin as it will allow us to have a fantastic view of everything but without the chance of cold, wet, or windy days crossing the Pacific. We can be outside with fresh air in only a couple moments as it's only steps away. Another huge plus is its proximity to the Lido restaurant, the gym, MUTS.

I believe you will love your cruise AND your cabin.

We did this cruise a couple years ago on the Grand. We loved it! The sail away under the Golden Gate Bridge is a site not to be missed! Spectacular! We live in California and had been to all the ports many times. We still found something new to do at each location. Santa Barbara has the Regan Ranch Center which is very much like a mini Presidential library. In San Diego we toured the USS Midway. Nearby is a Salute toBob Hope. Weather was warm and sunny.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

In San Diego we toured the USS Midway.

I am going to do that next time. I have been to San Diego about a billion times and never done the Midway. We have done a few of the coastal cruises. Although we have been to all the port cities many times, there is always something new to discover. It's fun to be a tourist in your own neighborhood.

Edited by shredie

We live outside of San Francisco. I thought the Coastal Cruises were silly until we took one. It is so much fun to visit Santa Barbara and San Diego. Many, many sights to see. Long Beach and Ensenada were nice days to just kick back and enjoy the ship. Of course, we did have a wonderful margarita right at the port in Ensenada.

We enjoyed the first time so much, we are doing it again this year. Also, i can't get enough of sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge. It is always a thrill.

Cheers, Denise