Deck railing on aft cabins

cabinluvn

Does anyone know if the railings around the aft cabins on the Zuiderdam are see through or solid? We are wondering if you are sitting on the deck if you can see out or if you have to stand and look over the railing

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you for your reply. We chose 6166 for the outside space going through the Panama Canal. We wanted to make sure we can sit and watch the scenery and there are quite a few sea days. Do you know if the people from the aft cabins above can see down onto the decks below?

Do you know if the people from the aft cabins above can see down onto the decks below?
People at the railing on decks 4, 6, 7, and 8 can be seen easily from above. Those on deck 5 can only be seen a little from deck 6.

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

Edited by jtl513

They can see you at the rail but not when you're under roof. We were on the Z'dam in 5191 eighteen months ago, other corner and down a deck for the Canal run. Being able to see three sides was fantastic. Watching the locks close right behind your cabin is really cool. The balconies have a nice overhang so you can choose sun or shade. Deck 5 has the biggest balconies but all are great. The ship and it's Vista-class sisters originally had a substantial forward slope of the rear end when viewed from the side. They added cabins on the aft ends "squaring" up the profile several years ago creating the large covered balconies. You'll love your suite. You get your exercise since everything but the aft pool and MDR are forward, but I love the aft balconies. Oosterdam in 5190 (other corner so we're not in a rut), another Vista-class for 11 days coming in January, then Nieuw Amsterdam for 14 day collector Feb of 2017, also in aft corner. When my wife remarked that she felt like she was on her own yacht when reading and drinking a glass of wine on that huge balcony, I knew where we'd be on future cruises.

Edited by blizzardboy

They can see you at the rail but not when you're under roof. We were on the Z'dam in 5191 eighteen months ago, other corner and down a deck for the Canal run. Being able to see three sides was fantastic. Watching the locks close right behind your cabin is really cool. The balconies have a nice overhang so you can choose sun or shade. Deck 5 has the biggest balconies but all are great. The ship and it's Vista-class sisters originally had a substantial forward slope of the rear end when viewed from the side. They added cabins on the aft ends "squaring" up the profile several years ago creating the large covered balconies. You'll love your suite. You get your exercise since everything but the aft pool and MDR are forward, but I love the aft balconies. Oosterdam in 5190 (other corner so we're not in a rut), another Vista-class for 11 days coming in January, then Nieuw Amsterdam for 14 day collector Feb of 2017, also in aft corner. When my wife remarked that she felt like she was on her own yacht when reading and drinking a glass of wine on our balcony, I knew where we'd be on future cruises.

Ditto this comment. We were in 5190 for the Canal and loved it! Great location to watch the operations of the locks (liked seeing the gates close right behind us) and having the covered balcony was more private than the other decks aft-wraps, plus helped keep the sun off of us (still hot though).

Good luck! I think you might get a little spoiled.

Don't hesitate to put your steward to work straight away. I have never figured out how to keep suit, tux, shirts etc from getting wrinkled. As a big guy, even suit bags wrinkle hanging things so I start sending things out for pressing immediately. Free is good! I have steward send three days/evenings worth out which comes back the next day, then send laundry, dry cleaning or pressing as needed. Nice perk among many.

Not being on the same deck as most of the Neptunes does mean that the steward has a mix of, and I think more cabins to maintain so they are spread a little thin, but I'm a firm believer in giving a portion of my tip day one. That gets their attention. I know they get a cut of the tip pool that's billed to your account, but they will bust their behind for you when knowing you're inclined to take care of them.

The lounge is nice for relaxed coffee, fruit, cereal, pastry etc in the morning, or a quick but killer snack during the day. Big screen with BBC or CNN if you want to know what's happening in the real world. Concierge is helpful and can do most of what the front desk attendants do.

Edited by blizzardboy

Thanks for the info...going backwards will be difficult, I know. Once we got the balcony, we never wanted anything else...so here we go to this. I know signature suites are bigger, but come with no perks, I don't think

I think you might want to open the deck plans and look at the square footage. I know they include the balcony in the total size, but the SB Neptunes are well over 300 sq ft inside (your PCC can tell you exactly) plus nearly 200 sq ft of veranda, and I guarantee you'll use your veranda more with a couple of easy chairs, an ottoman, and a chaise lounge, and you can chose sun or shade!

Size does vary some by deck, but I agree that it'll be tough to go back.

does anyone know if the railings around the aft cabins on the zuiderdam are see through or solid? We are wondering if you are sitting on the deck if you can see out or if you have to stand and look over the railing

thanks

sent from my ipad using tapatalk hd

2 photos from the Westerdam which is one of the sister ships to Zuiderdam. Zuiderdam has a larger verandah than you see in the one photo with my hubby standing at the rail. But for visual of the railings and what you can see sitting down, I thought this was a good shot. I am almost always sitting and watching the world flow by me a a steady slow pace:)

IMGP0192.jpg.084c4c0b16f91a03d8cf6875d79aa9a4.jpg

In the second photo, you can see someone standing on their verandah but they can definitely sit and see out, since the railings are the same height as ours.

IMGP0233.jpg.cb65caf1a24d362dfd75bed2c3800de8.jpg

Hope these help.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

We were in 5190 for the Panama Canal. What a great location!! Being in the aft and watching the locks close behind you is very cool. Great being able to look both directions.

ImageUploadedByForums1440724727.484380.jpg.6f8f3ac71c9ef3f7eb0a08e88f6769f3.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1440724679.214822.jpg.751a7ad30c66ff89c962d848d5631519.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1440724695.587802.jpg.7b8af1ca84b799020be15f8f24a18a9c.jpg

Edited by djhsolara