Charter Music Cruises selling out

Chyna3032

since you live in the Pacific Northwest..Brian Culbertson & his "FUNK: CD Tour will be at Jazz Alley from 9/22-9/25...Aladdin Theatre in Portland 9/26 & Tower Theater in Bend 9/27

there will be fans in attendance who will be on the 2018 CJSC and/or attending his Napa Valley Jazz Getaway next June...good chance to network

Thanks, Hattack! We don't get down to "the City" very often. A night of jazz would require a little planning (including a hotel stay). Makes me realize how old I'm getting. Back in our 30's, living in SoCal, DH and I would think nothing of driving 2 hours to see a concert. I remember going to see Bob Dylan at the Greek Theater, and driving home as the sun was coming up! :p

:D I hear you...LOL...as we grow older we pick our "battles"..51 weeks a year, I turn in no later than 11pm...on my Jazz Cruise I am lucky to get back to my cabin at 0200 am...one of the great joys of living in New Orleans is almost every weekend there is a free Food & Music Festival which fills the void...during the NFL season there is no conflict...huge flat screens are set up at the Festival venue so folks can do both at the same time...in the next few weeks we are looking forward to 2 brand Festivals...Fried Chicken & Beignet Festivals (to support families with children with Autism)...should be a huge pre game tailgate party on Saints Sunday

since you are a huge Boney James fan you will appreciate this...on Saturday afternoons the local coin operated car wash is a gathering spot for my "old"(over 60) school partners who wash their Buicks & Lexus's and blast Marvin Gaye on their radios and the "young bloods" (under 25) who wash their "decked out " Kia's and blast rap out of their oversize speakers...but what is really is an opportunity for mentoring and engaging in dialogue so our young men can benefit from our wisdom and mistakes (like a Saturday afternoon barbershop gathering)...yesterday I was test driving a 2016 VW Beetle SE Turbo with a Fender Sound System (awesome) and pulled into the car wash blasting Boney James's CD "Ride" playing the track "See What I'm Saying"...both sides turned down their competing blasting music and were seduced by Boney's music ..for good measure I then played the "Ride" sound track featuring Jaheim..neither generation knew that the Sax player was Boney James so I turned them on to his other 5 CD's and told them if Boney has a concert at the HOB in New Orleans that we should all get together and attend...a testament to making music that appeals to both ends of a generation and driving a hot Bug...lol

Love that story, Hattack -- what a way to introduce folks to a musical artist/genre they didn't know about! :) My DS, who grew up on rock-n-roll, just shakes his head and says that he "doesn't get" jazz (smooth or classic). I've pointed out to him the strong jazz influences in what is now known as "classic rock": Frank Zappa, Steely Dan, Traffic, Fleetwood Mac -- the list goes on and on. What I'm really trying to get across to him is that jazz is a genre that you can grow into. If he keeps listening, I think he will find his jazz niche, eventually. :cool:

my DS and I drove his car (a VW Bug of course) from NYC to the USAFA (Colorado Springs) the summer before he started his 3rd (junior year)...it was a rite of passage that all Father's & Son's go thru...when we hit a "dead" spot for a radio station, my Son inserts a cassette (this was in 1996) and says "Dad, you should check out this great music, it was the 25th Anniversary of Woodstock" CD..I advised him that I was at Woodstock..he turned to me and without missing a beat stated "Dad, you are OLD"...needless to say he hurt my feelings for a moment, but then we had a great conversation about what was going on during that time (late 60's) in the Country (tough concept for a future Officer ( Pilot) & a Gentleman), why Woodstock was so important and how I manage to be able to attend(wanted to see hippie girls...lol)...when my Grandson came to visit me in New Orleans, I had to explain to him what a vinyl album, 8 track tape player, reel to reel tape recorder,a 45 record and that little plastic thing (so he could play a 45 on the turntable) was and a DJ could "spin" records..I happen to own an original Jukebox (complete with 45's) from the 1950's (I picked up at a rural swap meet for a lark and had a friend of mine restore it) that he was totally intrigue his sharp mind to no end...lol...he thought all music was stored in "The Cloud"...fyi, he has been cruising since he was 5 and made me promise that I will take him on RCI Allure of the Seas so he can teach me about all the state of the art technology...lol...Steely Dan has been featured in Jazz Time Magazine...who would have guessed...you might purchase some early George Duke & Quincy Jones music for your Son to help fine tune his ear for Jazz...great music (like wide silk ties from the 30's),will always be in style...my Grandson went on E-Bay and knows the value of all my music "relics" since I promised him he could have it

Hattack -- last I checked, both of the 2018 dates are still taking reservations. Are you having any success talking your DGF into booking this one? Don't know if you've been reading any of the recent threads on the X boards, but the topic of ridiculously high prices (for "regular" bookings) seems to be a recurring topic, these days. Makes me glad that I booked this one. Sure, I'm paying more -- but, at least I know what I'm getting for my $$, this time! :cool:

we have decided to focus our financial resources on making our 2017 Dave Koz Charter next May a priority and skip the 2018 SJC since we have seen all the artists several times on previous Jazz Charters..we found a really great deal on a foreign carrier that will allow us to spend 2 days prior to flying to Venice out of Dulles visiting the new Smithsonian African American Museum and on our return from Milan do a 48 hour layover in Vienna Austria...I am now looking at doing a train trip down the Mississippi River from St Paul to New Orelans in 2018 with a focus on visiting legendary Baseball Parks and Jazz Clubs

Yes, I have been following the recent thread on the Celebrity Board regarding the topic of higher prices and the associated value in relation to fare..I suspect there are several factors in play...to fill cabins the cruise lines have trended to offer strategically placed sales to generate bookings with the hope of making up the difference by generating incremental onboard revenue ..the newer mega ships with all the bells and whistles seduce the guests to spend as much on their sign and sale accounts as the cost of the cabin..also because of terrorism and Zitka, the demand has shifted which means cruise lines can fill their ships without offering frequent sales..also during the months that Celebrity has chartered out it's ship (Summit for example) it displaces the guests that are booked for that week, to other ships fleetwide, which means less discounting..the Celebrity ships fleet wide may be older and smaller than the competitions mega ships, but that also, appeals to a certain demographic of guests who prefer the intimacy of a Celebrity experience...pricing and value are all relative and as long as folks will pay it, the cruise lines will continue to charge it. IMHO you are correct in your sense that since you are a fan of the music, your booking the SJC is $$$ well spent for the value you will receive..to paraphrase that famous Visa commercial ..having lunch with Boney James on a full day at sea is priceless:cool:

Hattack -- Sorry to hear that you won't be joining us, in 2018. But, your upcoming Koz/Europe cruise definitely sounds like a 'bucket list' trip! I hope you'll come back and post a review -- of the cruise, and the music! :)

And, as I pointed out in an earlier post, the 2019 SJC will probably open up for pre-booking, early next summer. If the line up is good (and if they charter Summit again), DH and I will probably jump on that band-wagon. Maybe we'll see you on that one! :cool:

PS -- I've been seeing a lot about the opening of the new museum in Washington. It looks amazing -- would like to visit it, someday!

Edited by wwcruisers

who knows, your DH may surprise you with a trip to Napa Valley next June and we will be able to meet...I hold a National Associate Membership to the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum , so I sent an email to them to see if it covers admission to the African American Museum also...I think it is so important for young people of all races to see I am thinking about speaking with my Pastor to organize a trip for our youth ministry to visit Washington to visit both Museums next spring to correspond with my trip prior to leaving for Venice

while the rest of America will be watching the debates tomorrow night I will be in the Super Dome to watch the Saints play the Falcons to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the reopening of the Dome and the Steve Gleason blocked punt...I can assure you that :p Not One:p person in New Orleans will be watching the debate..I'll catch the highlights on ABC Overnight World News at 0300 am

my Capital Jazz SuperCruise on the NCL Getaway is in 27 days, so I better get focused on getting ready..this will be our 7th straight, but this year will be different because of the NCL Freestyle Cruising concept and the layout of the Getaway's Deck plan (anytime dining and much smaller (but more of), entertainment venues..we will have close to 60 artists sailing with us during the week and I am looking forward to seeing Jill Scott, Lisa Lisa, Dance Theatre of Harlem, Wanda Sykes, Smokie Norful and The O'Jays along with our repeat favorites

The Getaway is fully berthed (3rd,4th & 5th in cabins), which means 4000+ music fans...because we are doing Dave Koz next May, we are not booked for 2017 which I am sure makes my GF nervous because she has made so many friends on our previous 6 charters...I plan on bringing a photo of Venice & Santorini to show her cruising buddies why she will not be with them next year...lol

WOW Hattack -- no joy in NOLA, last night (especially after Brees threw that second interception)! But, as painful as that game might have been to watch, it beat the debate -- by a landslide! One of my favorite things about Saints home games is when the cameras pan around the stands. Nobody dresses up for games like Saints fans! :cool:

pre game tailgating parties around the Dome are legendary...those that are not season ticketholders keep partying outside the Dome all during the Game while watching the game on a huge flat screens situated around the Dome..all day Tuesday the City was in a huge depression...caught the debate high points on the overnight news...disappointed, but not surprise...the nice thing about being on the Capital Jazz Super Cruise from 10/23-10/30, nobody discusses politics

Dave Koz just announced his 2018 sailing...May 20-27, 2018 (1st week 5/13-5/20 sold out by previous guests) sailing from Copenhagen Denmark with ports of call Stockholm (Sweden), Tallin (Estonia), St Petersberg (Russia) Helsinki (Finland)...cabins starting at $4300 for interiors...open for sale on Wednesday October 5th..will probably be sold out in 24 hours...might check out Dave Koz Cruise website for details...I'm soooooo excited

my Raiders are lookin good...Saints finally won one

Hmmm, I'm starting to see a trend here, Hattack: Koz likes Europe! :D

That's a great itinerary, and I agree -- it should sell out fast! Sadly, I can't do two jazz cruises in two months, or I'd be considering it.

And, I'm one happy NFL camper -- both the 'Hawks and Steelers won, this week! :cool:

Koz may have found his niche...plus by giving an 18 month lead time allows his base to budget and save (and spread the payments out over a longer period) and be able to visit ports of call that are very appealing as an alternative to Caribbean...plus Koz can expand his fan base by drawing from a very strong Jazz base in Europe by making his cruise affordable to them without the significant expense of them travelling to the USA

European low cost air carriers are expanding non stop service to the USA and New Orleans (Condor to Frankfort, Germany) has benefitted from this which makes oversea travel within reach as an add on to the cruise rate....I also think for frequent cruisers (regular as well as charter), the Caribbean ports have reached the saturation point ...most European cruises are port intensive and rich in culture and history and when you add the Jazz component, it makes Koz stand out against his competitors...the fact that Koz sold out the first week with past guests without ever opening it up for sale to the general public attests to Koz's marketing ability

NFL wise, it would be nice if my beloved Oakland Raiders make the Super Bowl this season...I have to dig out my throwback Marcus Allen jersey to wear at the Tailgating party in 3 weeks on my Capital Jazz Super Cruise

just discovered Rick Braun is doing a 2018 Jazz River Cruise Getaway out of Nuremburg Germany on my birthday (in August) with stops including Vienna ..the vessel only has 84 cabins and the few cabins left are in one category "D"...only 3 artists (Rick, Peter White , and a young sax player Vincent I) and it will be all acoustic

I LOVE European River Cruising...River Cruising fares are all inclusive and this will be a full charter (the first ever Smooth Jazz River Cruise Charter), so all in all it's a bargin...I wish I were rich or had a rich travel buddy so I could do both Koz & Braun in Europe in the summer of 2018

just discovered Rick Braun is doing a 2018 Jazz River Cruise Getaway out of Nuremburg Germany on my birthday (in August) with stops including Vienna ..the vessel only has 84 cabins and the few cabins left are in one category "D"...only 3 artists (Rick, Peter White , and a young sax player Vincent I) and it will be all acoustic

I LOVE European River Cruising...River Cruising fares are all inclusive and this will be a full charter (the first ever Smooth Jazz River Cruise Charter), so all in all it's a bargin...I wish I were rich or had a rich travel buddy so I could do both Koz & Braun in Europe in the summer of 2018

No experience with river cruises, Hattack. Although, growing up in Memphis, I do remember seeing the Delta Queen on the Mighty Mississippi!

I can't imagine a better format for Rick Braun, though -- small venues are where he really shines! :cool:

it leaves me to believe that if Braun's River Cruise is successful in Europe in August of 2018 (and it is sold out already), some Smooth Jazz artist will be braved and launch a River Charter Jazz Getaway experience in the USA most likely on the Mississippi River...too make the numbers work would be a challenge but I think there is a market for it...Jazz Cruising fans are looking for an alternative to the mega ships sailing in the Caribbean

In the New Orleans area we are in the peak of the weekend music/food festival season...this Saturday is the Beignet Festival (to support non profits working with Autistic Spectrum Families)...next weekend is the Andouille Festival (to benefit Breast Cancer)....great causes, great food, great New Orleans music...will have to save room for dessert on the Getaway during the Capital Jazz Super Cruise the following weekend...and return just in time to celebrate Halloween in the French Quarter

Kenny Rogers is performing in New Orleans this weekend and did an interview today that talks about how Jazz (he played stand up bass for 10 years with a Jazz group that performed a lot of music by Ray Charles) has influenced his music...early in his career with 1st Edition, I can hear the Jazz roots...Elton John performed in Baton Rouge last weekend and did over 3 hours of his non stop hits...great music is timeless

That's interesting, Hattack! I would never in a million years thought that Kenny Rogers would have started out in the jazz world. Of course, people forget that Jimi Hendrix played for the Isley Brothers and Little Richard, in the sixties, too. Lots of musicians have interesting roots.:cool:

But, I always associate Kenny Rogers with his famous hit: "You've got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them..." Oh dear, now that tune is going to be stuck in my head, all day! :eek:

Ray Charles won a Grammy for the best selling Country & Western Album in 1962..The Righteous Brothers had the #1 single on the R&B charts for almost a year...in the 60's The British Invasion took over America at the same time The Motown Review took over England...Boney James wins a Soul Train Award...music has broken down racial barriers....Carnival LIVE sells out it's ships when any 60's Motown Group is booked...Smooth Jazz Cruise Charters are selling out within 24 hours of being opened for sale 20 months in advance at premium cabin prices