Sunset Beach verses Monkey Bar?

markwojo

Looking for some advice on which may be better for us. Both seem to have exceptional snorkeling, food, and on site access to water toy rental. We are coming in on a day where there will be 6 total ships in port and in excess of 18,000 people on them. We will be the first there and would likely be where ever we are going before most even get into port.

It seems Sunset has many cruise ship sponsored outings (Snorkel, Snuba, & Scuba) that brings large quantities of folk there to jump in the water for an hour at a time. Does Monkey Bar get many/any/some cattle herding cruise ship excursions there?

Both seem to have a stairway into the water allowing access past the iron shore rocks. I realize neither is much of a sand beach in a traditional sense, but do either have more sandy beach types of pockets in the water where you can just hang out, or are one or both more or less snorkel or get out cause there isn't much else going on?

Both seem to have a man made beach setting walled into the restaurant...any idea on which one is bigger (can handle more capacity on a 18000 cruise passenger day)?

I think you mean Money Bar, not Monkey Bar. Ship excursions do not go to Money Bar. It is a small place and is south of the cruise piers. Sunset Beach is between the International Pier and downtown Pier. I believe that's where cruise ships' SNUBA excursions go, which is why it may seem crowded. You don't need reservations at Money Bar. It'd be my choice for snorkeling in Cozumel.

Ship excursions don't go to Money Bar BY LAND but I believe some of the boat snorkeling excursions go there - certainly private vendors, not sure about ship boat excursions?

Money bar would be my choice also of somewhere to "hang out" but it will require a taxi ride and fare, where as you could walk to Sunset Beach from International or Puerta Maya.