Carry-On or Check-In for 7-Day Cruise...

romanroxy

To pack smaller and lighter for cooler climates, get rid of the fleece. There are many lightweight down and down-synthetic jackets, hoodies, vests and pullovers out there. They weigh nothing and pack down to nothing. Fleece just hogs up space. You won't find them at WalMart or Target, but if you search places like Sierra Trading Post you'll frequently find good quality brands at discounted price points. Get one of these and a shell (or your rain jacket) and it'll get you through most cold situations (not talking about zero degree F here).

Perhaps my idea of "fleece" is incorrect. :o. I bought DH a couple of Lands End tops, I think they're called Polartec, that are very lightweight, shut out the wind and pack down to almost nothing. He favored a ratty old sweatshirt, so I took one for myself and he's not getting it back, lol. I finally got him to take the other one to Alaska and he seemed to like it enough to to keep it in the rotation. I wore that under a rain-resistant jacket to a glacier dogsled ride. With a pair of thermasilk long johns, I was more than warm enough.

We were successful to pack in carry-ons and extras (backpacks for the men and a large tote for me).

Your carry-on will make a big difference. I studied options for a while before purchasing the Motherlode Backpack for myself:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

For myself, I didn't want a roller. I wanted something that would deal better with changing terrain (stairs, curbs, etc.), the extra packing space because of lack of rails for the handle and the wheels, and also the lighter bag weight to begin with for future European travel where I have heard carry ons can be weighed.

If you have a lot of days planned around water...bathing suits, etc. take up such little packing space...if you have a well planned mix and match scheme for the other days...and a well thought out evening plan...you can easily work a Caribbean cruise into carry ons.

The hardest thing is feeling like you pack enough sunscreen given the liquid limitations.

I have the junior version, which is 19" (I'm an Ebag addict). I haven't had occasion to use it yet, but I may take it on our next cruise along with the roller bag because we're driving to the port. I'll still carry both on, though.

As for sunscreen, it's sold the world over. :D We bring enough for the first day or two and then buy more. Same with toothpaste and body lotion. Everything else can be decanted into smaller containers and fits into the 3-1-1 bag.

We check our bags. The primary reason is due to the restrictions on liquids.

I have sensitive skin. When it comes to moisturizers and sunscreens I prefer to bring my preferred brands from home vs. buying it when I arrive at the port (where I may not be able to find the products I prefer).

We usually bring liquor home with us. This is not an option with carry on luggage.

If it wasn't for the liquids, we'd definitely be able to do a 7 day cruise with a carry on.

Overall, we are light packers. We each take one medium size suitcase (25") and have never had any problems using public transportation or lifting our own bags. I mix and match my clothes and most stuff gets worn multiple times. I don't bother taking a hair dryer as the ones in the hotels and on the ship work fine for me.

Edited by lovemylab

Carry on. Lots of luggage means more time waiting to deal with it - getting to the airport sooner, waiting for it to show up at the airport (only once has it been delayed, but several times has gone on an earlier flight and sat unattended until my flight arrived), figuring out what to do with it when a hotel room isn't ready when we arrive. And if we're travelling before the cruise, all the more reason to have a small bag that can be lifted into train baggage racks without too much effort.

Most hotels will store your luggage if your room isn't ready. I have yet to stay at a hotel that didn't offer this service.

If you have space, fleece is OK. but it does take up space (and will stink if you sweat). The new down and down alternative (like Primaloft) jackets and vests are both lightweight and space-savers. Plus they don't pick up stuff in the fuzz (ever have a dog/cat and a fleece??? :eek: ). And, they don't get all static-y like fleece does. Plus, as a layer, the new stuff isn't bulky like fleece is when trying to put it under a shell or jacket.

Just my opinion. But, I even though I have several fleece pieces at home, I never take them when I travel.

I like having my luggage in my control. I also enjoy the simplicity of light packing - I plan using a basic color scheme, so everything goes together, so getting dressed is a breeze, We usually do 5-7 day Caribbean cruises and usually on Carnival, which is very casual nowadays, so I can easily fit everything into a smallish suitcase and a carryon tote.

For longer cruises, or on more formal ships, I am not sure carryon would work, but I will continue to do it on our typical cruises.

Both hubby and I pack light. We take a carry on (I just bought a Lipault bag that even breaks down for storage) and a smaller bag/tote with our items in it for the two or three nights that we may stay over. It's so much easier to not have all of that stuff to have to deal with disembarking at the end of the cruise and less of a killjoy washing up clothing when we come home. I have a few travel pieces of clothing now that I take along that I can rinse out in the sink if need be and I admit that my bottoms are usually white or black, but I even wear those colors when I am at home. It's a matter of just looking for clothing that will work and learning a packing method. I use the bundle method from Jon Holloway from Packinglight.net. It's never failed me.

Edited by islandgirlejfan

wow...I take my hat off to anyone who can cruise with only a carry on...well done!!!...

I am afraid I am an overpacker no matter how hard I try,,,lol....:)

S&D

On your next cruise see how much you do not wear. Take note of what you did. Next cruise pack what you wore, leaving out what you didn't. Repeat.

Packing is an art. We've refined our packing style over the years and still bring something unnecessarily. At times I wish I had brought something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning to go to Hawaii with just a carry on suitcase which is 20 inches. OneOrleans and made juswtote purse.

I like to look nice with bright colors and accessories. I've been studying capsule wardrobes and packing ideas on Pinterest .

I learned to make packing list and plan when I might wear it. Color coordinate everything.

1 little black dress

1 maxidress day

1 heeled flip flop

1ahnu walking sandal

6-8 panties

1extra bra

1 gaucho pant

1light weight denim Capri (wearing on plane)

Another lightweight Capri or short (TBD)

5 tops

1 halter

1 button down hawaiian shirt

Swimsuit

1 cover up that doubles as a whole top

Wish list of stuff I want to pack but worried:

Maxidress #2 day or evening

1 cotton sundress - needs ironing, didn't take it last time and regretted it. Color is a little off from rest of packed stuff.

1 tankini

Heels

Fancy sandal

Any suggestions?

Edited by candycaramel

I am planning to go to Hawaii with just a carry on suitcase which is 20 inches. OneOrleans and made juswtote purse.

I like to look nice with bright colors and accessories. I've been studying capsule wardrobes and packing ideas on Pinterest .

I learned to make packing list and plan when I might wear it. Color coordinate everything.

1 little black dress

1 maxidress day

1 heeled flip flop

1ahnu walking sandal

6-8 panties

1extra bra

1 gaucho pant

1light weight denim Capri (wearing on plane)

Another lightweight Capri or short (TBD)

5 tops

1 halter

1 button down hawaiian shirt

Swimsuit

1 cover up that doubles as a whole top

Wish list of stuff I want to pack but worried:

Maxidress #2 day or evening

1 cotton sundress - needs ironing, didn't take it last time and regretted it. Color is a little off from rest of packed stuff.

1 tankini

Heels

Fancy sandal

Any suggestions?

Decide which dress is most useful, eliminate the others Or eliminate one of the capris/shorts if you prefer wearing either the cotton dress or the maxi dress during the day. Why not wear the maxi dress (material?) on the plane with a pashmina/scarf for the air conditioning.

Too many shoes, flip flops with heels??? One pair for the pool and beach, one pair for walking and one pair for the evening.

Definitely 2 bathing suits.

Sun hat

wow...I take my hat off to anyone who can cruise with only a carry on...well done!!!...

I am afraid I am an overpacker no matter how hard I try,,,lol....:)

S&D

I prefer "packer" to "overpacker." The people with carry-ons are "underpackers," in my view. ;)