Water on Hurtigruten 😀

janetcbl

My understanding is that water included for top categories is bottled water (the one on sale, still or sparkling).

However you are the second person to mention that there might be now free tap water again for all at lunch, and it would be awesome if that was the case. I'm going back next March and will definitely check it out, but if anyone goes sooner and can relay their experience that would be very nice.

From what I could understand from the brochures, bottled water is included for the top 2 categories on the Coastal Voyages, but the new Explorer brochure makes no mention of bottled water and just states that tap water is included for all at lunch and dinner.

I didn't see that on the French brochure (about tap water), I'll check it out more carefully. Thanks for pointing it out. It would really be nice if they actually changed their mind about that. I know it is silly because the cost of the water package is not much in regard to the cost of the voyage, but the decision of not providing free water left me very uneasy at the time.

I didn't see that on the French brochure (about tap water), I'll check it out more carefully. Thanks for pointing it out. It would really be nice if they actually changed their mind about that. I know it is silly because the cost of the water package is not much in regard to the cost of the voyage, but the decision of not providing free water left me very uneasy at the time.

From what I see all but the lowest inside and outside catagories will be given a free water package

http://www.hurtigruten.com/us/Ships/Cabins/2016-cabin-categories/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I see all but the lowest inside and outside catagories will be given a free water package

I think you're correct... but that is still the majority of berths excluded: eg 415+ of 640 on Trollfjord

Again, the water package is bottled water.

The question (my question, anyway! ;) and I guess also the one raised by janetcbl) is whether they have re-instated free tap water in the restaurant, as used to be the case until a couple of years ago. Tap water on board is perfectly fine to drink and you have no empty plastic bottle to dispose of.

If I have read the brochures correctly, it looks to me as if they are offering some different amenities for certain classes on the Coastal Voyages than for the other trips(Spitsbergen, Antartica, Iceland, Greenland). Not great differences, just enough to make it a bit confusing.

I made my reservation for March months ago., cat p. I hope that I will get the free water....when I booked there was no mention of it...

There should be no problem. However, I would suggest you call Viking - or your travel agent if you booked with one - to confirm. I am booked in Category M2 in March 2016, and I booked in March 2015 - well before the new policy came out.

When I called Viking to ask, they sent me a new invoice (at the same price) with Board Basis now listed as "FB Full Board, VANN_L Inclusive Lunch Water Package, VIN Inclusive Wine Package". The agent explained that the water package is for lunch only since the included wine package includes water for dinner. It's always better to have it stated explicitly on the invoice. For Category P, I would expect you to have a different inclusive water package (including dinner as well as lunch).

where exactly did you see the info about tap water? id like to see what you're looking at.

Page 124-125 of the new 140 page Hurtigruten Expedition brochure (on line) for Fram and Midnatsol in Spitsbergen, Greenland, Iceland and Antartica.

Page 124-125 of the new 140 page Hurtigruten Expedition brochure (on line) for Fram and Midnatsol in Spitsbergen, Greenland, Iceland and Antartica.

Ah! So I don't think it is actually the case for the Coastal Voyage (Expedition cruises and Norwegian Coastal voyage are run differently for many aspects).

:(

Except for a few months sometime in 2014, tap water in the restaurant has always been free on MS Fram.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in the process of booking the Spitsbergen for next summer - it will be our first experience with Hurtigruten but we have sailed with Lindblad/National Geo and are used to smaller expedition ships. There seems to be a bit of confusion about who gets water and who doesn't and we are hopeful that questions of this type can be easily answered by a knowledgeable Hurtigruten rep. If anyone has the name of a good agent they have worked with, it would be most appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

We're just off Fram and tap water was freely available.

A carafe of still or sparkling water was also available whenever I ordered a bottle of wine.

Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate (delicious, and we drank too much!!) are available all day in the Bistro. The all-day cakes and biscuits have been removed from the Bistro and moved up to deck 7 for a few hours each afternoon.

I see from the Fram there is no problem with free water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Even cake and cookies.

Is this true of all Hurtigruten ships? From previous comments, it seems to vary by ships or destinations of the ships.

Thanks.

Edited by bellemere
mispelling

I see from the Fram there is no problem with free water, coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Even cake and cookies.

Is this true of all Hurtigruten ships? From previous comments, it seems to vary by ships or destinations of the ships.

This is true only for the expedition trips (so Fram mostly).

For all the ships on the Norwegian coastal voyage, water is not free. There is free coffee/tea at lunch time (and of course breakfast) and I think also after dinner. There are no free cakes/cookies.

Thanks.

I should have pointed out that Fram is 'different' as she is Hurtigruten's expedition ship.