8 hours on Tortola, enough time for Baths?

E46M3

Yes thanks for your report E. It is indeed a very easy and safe self-excursion and well worth the effort. Anyone without mobility issues will enjoy all of the experience.

>> The hike down was about 10 minutes to the top of the Baths where you start going through the rocks <<

One note so folks aren't confused, you probably meant the hike down from the Top of the Baths to the beach...is about 10 min. The Top of the Baths is where you are dropped by the taxi, there is a restaurant there (the Top of the Baths) and a wading pool. Just to clarify!

But thanks for posting the details for folks who have any concerns about going on their own! :)

I could have sworn I saw a signage that says "Top of the Baths" by the entrance of the caves. Maybe I remembered wrong. In any event, from the drop off to the entrance/beach is about a 10 min hike. And the pool by the restaurant no longer has water in it when we were there.

I could have sworn I saw a signage that says "Top of the Baths" by the entrance of the caves. Maybe I remembered wrong. In any event, from the drop off to the entrance/beach is about a 10 min hike. And the pool by the restaurant no longer has water in it when we were there.

Maybe it was pointing out the path up to the TOB...but no biggie, thanks for your report!

Considering the ship excursion (we are in port 7am-3pm). Now I see many of you have done self excursions and used the ferry. My questions:

1. Where is there a listing of ferry times and prices?

2. What should you bring to the Baths and can I lock up wallets, etc., before going in the water?

3. Are hiking sandals good or should we have closed toes (water shoes)?

4. How long do people stay if they do the self excursion? I do want to get back to Road Town and see the town a little bit.

Hoping someone can answer my questions. Thanks!

Edited by BlueWavesDreamer

Considering the ship excursion (we are in port 7am-3pm). Now I see many of you have done self excursions and used the ferry. My questions:

1. Where is there a listing of ferry times and prices?

2. What should you bring to the Baths and can I lock up wallets, etc., before going in the water?

3. Are hiking sandals good or should we have closed toes (water shoes)?

4. How long do people stay if they do the self excursion? I do want to get back to Road Town and see the town a little bit.

Hoping someone can answer my questions. Thanks!

http://www.bviferries.com

http://www.smithsferryservices.com

Travel light - string backpack with towel(s), sunscreen, water, t-shirt, there are lockers at Poorman's Bar on the beach but if you walk through the boulders to Devils Bay you will return to the Top of the Baths via a different path.

Water shoes with a sole or sturdy sandals are both good.

Totally up to you. A couple hours at the Baths is typical.

You'll find tons of more info here in recent threads!

• 1 month later...

So if I am understanding correctly, for a self-excursion, it is pretty easy. From ship, walk to ferries. Ferry takes you to Virgin Gorda. From there you take a taxi to the Bath entrance.

From Bath entrance it is pretty obvious where to go? And when you get back to the top, are there plenty of taxis around to take you back to the ferry?

I apologize in advance for the remedial questions. I just like to have it all down pat and I can be directionally challenged. :)

So if I am understanding correctly, for a self-excursion, it is pretty easy. From ship, walk to ferries. Ferry takes you to Virgin Gorda. From there you take a taxi to the Bath entrance.

From Bath entrance it is pretty obvious where to go? And when you get back to the top, are there plenty of taxis around to take you back to the ferry?

I apologize in advance for the remedial questions. I just like to have it all down pat and I can be directionally challenged. :)

Yes you have it right. As I mentioned somewhere you can also work with the drivers if you want to get dropped for lunch, we like the Mineshaft Cafe and you can search for that in other threads. The fares are very reasonable and it's a nice way to enjoy your day and then spend a little time in Spanishtown before walking back to the ferry.

Note that Speedy's ferry also offers packages including the taxi to the Baths, and another that includes a lunch at the Baths & Turtle in Spanishtown. But with those options you lose the flexibility and freedom of going completely on your own...

Is the taxi price $4.00 per person each way from the ferry to the baths?

Also, what is the average taxi fare per person from the baths into town and then back to the ferry?

Sorry, if these are repeat questions but just trying to get all the info to give to my group so we can make a decision on how to go to the baths.

Sunday is coming quick and trying to decide to go with Celebrity or do it on our own.

Celebrity = $ 60.00 per person for 4.5 hours. I am thinking they use the ferry to depart at 9 and return at 1.

On our own (Sunday)= Speedy's 9AM = $20.00

Smith' return at 3 PM= $20.00

Taxi, round trip to baths= $8.00

Total = $48.00 per person and 2 extra hours at the Baths

Plus we could do lunch in town with the 2 extra hours.

Does this sound right?

Also, what is the average taxi fare per person from the baths into town and then back to the ferry?

Sorry, if these are repeat questions but just trying to get all the info to give to my group so we can make a decision on how to go to the baths.

Sunday is coming quick and trying to decide to go with Celebrity or do it on our own.

Celebrity = $ 60.00 per person for 4.5 hours. I am thinking they use the ferry to depart at 9 and return at 1.

Does this sound right?

Yes - $4pp to the Baths and $4pp back to Spanishtown, it's a short 5 min walk from town to the ferry.

Yep, your plan sounds perfect - enjoy!

Does this sound right?

When you return would you please post how this plan worked out for you. Our group is considering this possibility as well. Enjoy your cruise!

When you return would you please post how this plan worked out for you. Our group is considering this possibility as well. Enjoy your cruise!

Very easy going on your own and gives you the utmost freedom as well as time on VG. The ferry is $20pp each way that way instead of $30pp round trip, but definitely worth that! Taxi drivers will drop you and pick you up at different spots and fares are very reasonable. If you have time to take advantage of the ferry schedules definitely do it.

Would highly recommend stopping at the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch rather than in town. Spectacular panoramic views, and their signature drink, the Cave In, is great and fun to watch being prepared. "It's all in the Juice, Mon!"