Specialty dining venues- what are your favorite menu choices?

Shellbelle28

It's been a while since DH and I cruised, but we always enjoyed eating at the specialty restaurants and have booked the 7-meal package for our upcoming Pearl cruise. DH is bummed that lobster tail seems to be no longer an option, but he'll survive!

So my question is, what are your favorite dishes? I'm guessing the menus at each venue are consistent fleet-wide, so I'm interested in knowing what folks have enjoyed at all of the options (or, what's been a miss, too).

Thanks!

There are some lobster options in Cagneys and LeBistro, based on some of the menus I've seen -- of course, those change and it's hard to know which ones are still accurate.

They were an added cost ($10 I believe) over the regular cover charge, and now some of the specialty restaurants are apparently changing to straight al a carte pricing, so hard to say what price and menu items you will find on upcoming cruises.

It's been a while since I've been at an NCL specialty restaurant, but I"m looking forward to the filet at Cagneys, as well as the mushroom soup (Le Bistro?). Also hoping Le Bistro continues to offer the lobster tail I've seen on menu photos.

I love the escargot and duck at Le Bistro. I have to have it at least once a trip!

The salad bar at moderno lol (and all of the meat too....but I could realistically fill up and be 100% satisfied with the salad/App bar)

As for miss - we tried La Cucina on our first cruise and was completely underwhelmed. I've skipped it ever since. Also, I tend to skip Teppanyaki. It's just your normal hibachi place.....

Edited by laurabegorrah

We usually have Le Bistro booked for the first night on board, and I always order their rack of lamb, that is my NCL favorite dish. And no. 2 on my list of favorite NCL dishes is the filet du boeuf (steak tenderloin), that is from the Le Bistro-menu as well - which is actually my husbands "no. 1". We both like the steaks at Le Bistro better than the steaks at Cagney's....

Edited by TrumpyNor

We usually have Le Bistro booked for the first night on board, and I always order their rack of lamb, that is my NCL favorite dish. And no. 2 on my list of favorite NCL dishes is the filet du boeuf (steak tenderloin), that is from the Le Bistro-menu as well - which is actually my husbands "no. 1". We both like the steaks at Le Bistro better than the steaks at Cagney's....

We both also thought the steak at Le Bistro was much better than the filet at Cagney's.

It was really good.

The real sleeper was the Coq au Vin at Le Bistro.

Large portion (though it didn't appear that way at first), very tender and moist, and *just* the right flavorings - a real classic, and hard to find these days.

I just wish we had discovered that earlier in our cruise!

(I rarely order chicken when eating out, and it was my loss this time.)

By the way, the lobster that we got at Le Bistro was nothing other than tough chunks of <lobster?> in a very greasy, unappealing sauce, more sauce than "meat".

Not at all what we were expected, and once was more than enough.

We also found the service at Le Bistro much better than elsewhere.

But I think we had an unusually efficient and friendly waiter.

We ate there several times, and always requested one of his tables.

Yum... I'm tasting that Coq au Vin right now... :)

GeezerCouple

We both also thought the steak at Le Bistro was much better than the filet at Cagney's.

It was really good.

The real sleeper was the Coq au Vin at Le Bistro.

Large portion (though it didn't appear that way at first), very tender and moist, and *just* the right flavorings - a real classic, and hard to find these days.

I just wish we had discovered that earlier in our cruise!

(I rarely order chicken when eating out, and it was my loss this time.)

By the way, the lobster that we got at Le Bistro was nothing other than tough chunks of <lobster?> in a very greasy, unappealing sauce, more sauce than "meat".

Not at all what we were expected, and once was more than enough.

We also found the service at Le Bistro much better than elsewhere.

But I think we had an unusually efficient and friendly waiter.

We ate there several times, and always requested one of his tables.

Yum... I'm tasting that Coq au Vin right now... :)

GeezerCouple

I will second the Coq au Vin from Le Bistro.......it was an amazing dish. I am really hoping it is still on the menu next year for our cruise.

We just got off the Pearl, and La Cucina had a lobster pasta dish that was delicious. It came with an extra charge (I think $7), but I thought it was well worth the price. There were big chunk of lobster. The dish was fairly spicy, so if you can't handle spicy, you might have to ask if they can adjust the spice level. We had the UDP and were not charged the extra fee.

That was probably my favorite dish of the whole cruise.

We had UDP on our last cruise, so we spent the entire week in specialties - which is very abnormal for us. Le Bistro is our family's favorite, hands down. I love love love the duck!!! The tenderloin is the go-to for DH & DS. The lamb is also a huge winner!. I thought the swordfish was way over cooked and very dry. I have to get the escargot (usually 2), while DS has to have the mussels. The crème Brule is good, and DS loves the chocolate fondue - it's enough for two (or just my DS).

We will never go to Moderno, as all the meats were over cooked except the lamb. I don't understand the wows over the salad bar. In my book, this isn't my kind of salad bar.

We enjoyed Teppanyaki but will skip dessert there in hopes of getting a made to order crepe in the buffet instead.

LaCucina is a sleeper, IMO. The osso bucco is relish! I don't remember what DS got, but he liked it, and DH got steak (duh).

We don't have any dining plan for our Thanksgiving cruise, so the only specialty we'll eat in will be Le Bistro on that cruise and it will be once.

We had UDP on our last cruise, so we spent the entire week in specialties - which is very abnormal for us. Le Bistro is our family's favorite, hands down. I love love love the duck!!! The tenderloin is the go-to for DH & DS. The lamb is also a huge winner!. I thought the swordfish was way over cooked and very dry. I have to get the escargot (usually 2), while DS has to have the mussels. The crème Brule is good, and DS loves the chocolate fondue - it's enough for two (or just my DS).

We will never go to Moderno, as all the meats were over cooked except the lamb. I don't understand the wows over the salad bar. In my book, this isn't my kind of salad bar.

We enjoyed Teppanyaki but will skip dessert there in hopes of getting a made to order crepe in the buffet instead.

LaCucina is a sleeper, IMO. The osso bucco is relish! I don't remember what DS got, but he liked it, and DH got steak (duh).

We don't have any dining plan for our Thanksgiving cruise, so the only specialty we'll eat in will be Le Bistro on that cruise and it will be once.

Maybe I missed it, but you are the first I've seen who wasn't impressed with the Moderno salad bar.

We both strongly agree.

When we arrived first time (the only time thus far!), I was *sure* that we were missing the *real* salad bar someplace else. But no.... that was "it".

It looked like something one would find at a *good* salad bar at the end of the evening (and we were right in the midst of dinner time), when many items were taken away [very limited selection] and what was left had little more than dregs.

Aside from the limited choice, it was simply unappealing to look at.

We filled up with meat, no surprise, which did have great flavor.

GeezerCouple

Maybe I missed it, but you are the first I've seen who wasn't impressed with the Moderno salad bar.

We both strongly agree.

When we arrived first time (the only time thus far!), I was *sure* that we were missing the *real* salad bar someplace else. But no.... that was "it".

It looked like something one would find at a *good* salad bar at the end of the evening (and we were right in the midst of dinner time), when many items were taken away [very limited selection] and what was left had little more than dregs.

GeezerCouple

I've posted about this several times in the past. As fans of Brazilian steakhouses, we have visited several on land. The salad bars at Moderno are a very tiny fraction of what you find in land-based Brazilian steakhouses. They aren't anything to get excited about at all.

Cagneys biggest steak you can get I always love it there whole lobster tail was great only lobster worth it on the ship the other restaurants had some form of cut up lobster in different forms all of it was so small. The only thing I liked in LeBistro was the appetizers like escargo and scallops. I did like the scallops at Tepenyaki. Lebistro and the Italian were disappointing. Lebistro I used to like the rack of lamb. Now everything was salty and drenched in sauce to hide the meat quality. Italian the sauce was watery and too much garlic to hide the bad frozen meal taste. Maderno most of the meat was very good not disguised at all.

I've posted about this several times in the past. As fans of Brazilian steakhouses, we have visited several on land. The salad bars at Moderno are a very tiny fraction of what you find in land-based Brazilian steakhouses. They aren't anything to get excited about at all.

Hmm, I really wanted to give Moderno a try, and actually reserved it twice. I may end up swapping one for another Le Bistro!

We were on the Getaway in July, here would be my suggestion:

Hands down, go to LeBistro. Get the onion soup and the duck filled cones for appetizers, go with Duck or Lobster for dinner. For desert, go with the chocolate fondue (for two) or the crème brulie. Make sure to order the coffee (French Press).

Next is Cagney's. Order the Caesar salad and the short rib for appetizers and get the large filet. For dessert get the chocolate cheesecake (oreo I think).

Next is Teppanyaki. Worth the experience and food. They serve way to much of everything, so you can share with your wife, kids. Scallops and filet was good here. Stay away from the teriyaki, really way to strong for anything that it is put on. Fried rice is really good.

Did not like Moderno or the LaCucina. Food very bland for LaCucina and the meats in Moderno were overcooked. Filet was really only thing decent as well as the sugar coated pineapple.

If I had to do over, would go to Le Bistro 3 times, Cagney's two times, and Teppanyaki one time. There is enough on the menu at LeBistro and Cagneys to have meat one time and fish the next.

It is looking like I need a LOT of nights at Le Bistro to try all the favorites! Won't talk DH into having lamb, so we can order two different entrees and share, but I like it. And would enjoy trying the Coq au Vin too.

Cagneys biggest steak you can get I always love it there whole lobster tail was great only lobster worth it on the ship the other restaurants had some form of cut up lobster in different forms all of it was so small. The only thing I liked in LeBistro was the appetizers like escargo and scallops. I did like the scallops at Tepenyaki. Lebistro and the Italian were disappointing. Lebistro I used to like the rack of lamb. Now everything was salty and drenched in sauce to hide the meat quality. Italian the sauce was watery and too much garlic to hide the bad frozen meal taste. Maderno most of the meat was very good not disguised at all.

Good to know that lobster tail does exist somewhere! On our last cruise (before a lot of the dining changes) we were in Cagneys on the MDR "lobster night" and DH asked for lobster tail. They told him they didn't have any because it was all in the MDR kitchen. He told the server how much he'd been looking forward to lobster and that he was disappointed. 15 minutes later, as we finished our starters, a parade of staff approached our table with the ship's top chef at the end. He'd heard DH was bummed at no lobster in Cagneys that night and cooked him the biggest WHOLE LOBSTER I'd ever seen and brought it personally. Then he sat and talked to us while we ate and told us about being on the ship and where he'd trained and worked before. It was a very memorable experience, and over the top beyond expectations.

We'll be trying La Cucina for the first time. I've always avoided it because hubby was raised on Italian home cooking and most restaurant italian doesn't appeal to him at all. But he's willing to give it a try, hopefully he'll experiment with a dish he's never had.

We both strongly agree.

GeezerCouple

We also agree about the salad bar, but we did enjoy the sides, especially the pineapple and then that ice cream dessert...in addition, of course, to the meats, many of which we, too, found delicious with the exception of the fish. It was chewy and over cooked.

I love the escargot and duck at Le Bistro. I have to have it at least once a trip!

The salad bar at moderno lol (and all of the meat too....but I could realistically fill up and be 100% satisfied with the salad/App bar)

As for miss - we tried La Cucina on our first cruise and was completely underwhelmed. I've skipped it ever since. Also, I tend to skip Teppanyaki. It's just your normal hibachi place.....

La Cucina is a miss for us, too. Might depend on what you order. I had a lasagne once that was so salty I couldn't eat it. They have good bread, and several different olive oils. But the entres have been disappointing.

Hmm, I really wanted to give Moderno a try, and actually reserved it twice. I may end up swapping one for another Le Bistro!

We go to Moderno for the MEAT!!! Not the salad bar. I thought the salad bar was OK, nothing great. Some of the meat is overcooked, though, so be careful what you take - if it looks overcooked ask them to bring some when they have it fresh. At the very end of the meal they bring some grilled pineapple and some sirloin, I think it was. It was delicious. Make sure to save room for that.

The only really specific thing I remember as a MUST order again would be the mushroom soup at Le Bistro.

Other things we've enjoyed a lot: Duck, filet and escargot at Le Bistro, almost everything at Moderno (sausage was underwhelming, so I now turn it down in favor of other things).

It's been awhile since I've eaten at Cagneys and don't recall any one thing being a must, though we really enjoyed it all. La Cucina was fine, but no standouts for me. Same with all the Asian restaurants and the Raw Bar on Getaway.

We also agree about the salad bar, but we did enjoy the sides, especially the pineapple and then that ice cream dessert...in addition, of course, to the meats, many of which we, too, found delicious with the exception of the fish. It was chewy and over cooked.

Strange, we ate at Moderno on Getaway and the salad bar was massive and so laden with so many options - it was really one of the best I've ever seen in a churrascaria and I live in a city with Fogo de Chao, Texas de Brazil, Rafain, Rodizio, Vila Brazil, Brazillian Cowbow, Estillo Gaucho, Bo Na Braza and many other churrascarias. What time did you go? We went to eat at 7:30pm. Just wondering if you came in real late or something?