Specialty dining venues- what are your favorite menu choices?

Shellbelle28

My absolute favorite on Getaway were the sashimi preparations at Raw Bar! OMG! They were so GOOD! Had I had any idea how great that Raw Bar was, I would have eaten dinner there at least twice! The crazy thing is no one was there except us! It was fun to watch the chef prepare the sashimi for us and the sauces...fantastic!

I forgot to cover our Cagney's experience. First, we live in beef country. My uncle was a farmer and rancher and we'd get a couple of cows a year from my uncle.

So, our first few specialty experiences were always Cagney's. Had always been good. So on our last cruise with the UDP, we planned to eat there twice. I got the ribeye, while DH & DS both got the ribs. On our last cruise, DS had gotten the ribs and LOVED them! They looked really good so they decided they would both get them. They were both incredibly underwhelmed. The ribs were tough and not much taste even though slathered in sauce. My ribeye was just okay. Nothing you couldn't get at and Texas Roadhouse. The winner of the night was the Oreo cheesecake for both guys. They LOVED it and it's huge. Good thing, because they were still hungry because neither finished their ribs. We ended up canceling our other reservation at Cagney's and swapping it with another night at Le Bistro.

Strange, we ate at Moderno on Getaway and the salad bar was massive and so laden with so many options - it was really one of the best I've ever seen in a churrascaria and I live in a city with Fogo de Chao, Texas de Brazil, Rafain, Rodizio, Vila Brazil, Brazillian Cowbow, Estillo Gaucho, Bo Na Braza and many other churrascarias. What time did you go? We went to eat at 7:30pm. Just wondering if you came in real late or something?

That's funny. The salad bar on Getaway is less than half the size of the one at our area Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil, so I guess they can vary. I've probably eaten at about 8 Brazilian steakhouses (not a ton, but a good sample.) Moderno isn't even close to the size of the others, at least on Getaway and Epic. Some of the land ones I've seen wouldn't even fit.

Edited by LrgPizza

Just my nickels worth, I hope it is worth more than just 2 cents: LOl

As for the salad bar in Moderos; We think it is to die for: no, not as large as some land Brazilian steak houses, but if they were to have one that large, think of the waste. They do not have the volume of people eating there every day or night. For what I would expect on a ship, it is above and beyond. The other outstanding dish for us in Modernos; the grilled pineapple. OMG, it is so good.

Cagney's; not a huge fan, so there is nothing I really think stands out: to us anyway.

Le Bistro: of course,if you lik Escargot you will not be disappointed. I think I am going to try the Mussels next time. for some reason I am not as crazy over Escargot as I was many years ago. Either the steak or the rack of lamb can't be beat. I did have a little problem with rack of lamb last time: I ordered it rare, the only way to eat meat, but rare and raw are two different things. It was still good, but I wish I had sent it back.

La Cucina: I did have the lobster/pasta dish; I thought is was a real winner and hubby had osso bucco.

We'll be trying La Cucina for the first time. I've always avoided it because hubby was raised on Italian home cooking and most restaurant italian doesn't appeal to him at all. But he's willing to give it a try, hopefully he'll experiment with a dish he's never had.

I was also raised Italian and heard so many bad things about La Cucina. I personally hate Olive Garden and won't go there went once and that was more than enough. Well I went to la Cucina and I was pleasantly surprised I loved everything I had. I believe the last time I went I had the pork Marsala and it was extremely delicious I wish I had some now LOL.

I also really like tepanyaki. Loved the filet and shrimp, veggies and rice.

I also guess I'm not too picky because I've never had a bad meal in any of the MDRs. Unless I always pick the right thing I had no problem eating in the MDRs.

Now I have to go get lunch because I'm starving thank you for this thread LOL

Geri

I was also raised Italian and heard so many bad things about La Cucina. I personally hate Olive Garden and won't go there went once and that was more than enough. Well I went to la Cucina and I was pleasantly surprised I loved everything I had. I believe the last time I went I had the pork Marsala and it was extremely delicious I wish I had some now LOL.

I also really like tepanyaki. Loved the filet and shrimp, veggies and rice.

I also guess I'm not too picky because I've never had a bad meal in any of the MDRs. Unless I always pick the right thing I had no problem eating in the MDRs.

Now I have to go get lunch because I'm starving thank you for this thread LOL

Geri

Thanks for the comments on La Cucina, Olive Garden is a bad word in our house LOL. I love chicken marsala, so I think pork marsala would be interesting to try too.

Just back from Breakaway. My sister and I had the UDP so here are our thoughts:

Le Bistro. Great food, mediocre service. I had the rack of lamb - simply divine. Sister had the salmon - loved it too.

Wasabi. Upcharge was $7 pp, which we thought was reasonable for very good sushi.

La Cucina - osso bucco was very good. Huge portion. Felt bad to only eat half. Sister had chicken parma - very disappointing.

Shanghi - good quick dinner late one night when we missed earlier dinner.

O'Sheehans - quick lunch one afternoon. Chicken wings were OK and the corned beef sandwich was served on toast (need I say more). Should have had the chicken pot pie!

Moderno - the best salad bar EVER. Mediocre meats (most were overcooked).

Cagneys - honestly was very disappointed after reading all the reviews. Service was horrible - we waited almost 45 minutes for our main course. Steaks were so-so.

Blue Ocean - this was comped by Guest Services (long story). This was absolutely the best meal we had all week. Service was great, the bread was to die for, and appetizers and entrees were presented beautifully and tasted the same way.

Manhatten Dining Room - had lunch there on Saturday for Wine Lover's the Musical. Salad, and entree of tenderloin and shrimp. It was good.

We never ate at Tappenyaki or the other two dining rooms. Overall the dining experience was OK - we liked the casualness of it and the feel of "restaurants" instead of dining rooms.

Thought the buffet was good for breakfast or a quick bite.