New flag for NZ ?

What Australian cricket team do you play for ?

Possibly the same one that all supports a Rugby Team in a country where it is only the 5th most popular sport and not a religion yet can easily make a World Cup final.

Oh BTW congrats "lil sis" on not choking for once, well played World Chumps.

Good luck with the Sri Lanka series more your Countries cricket team level.

;)

Possibly the same one that all supports a Rugby Team in a country where it is only the 5th most popular sport and not a religion yet can easily make a World Cup final.

Oh BTW congrats "lil sis" on not choking for once, well played World Chumps.

Good luck with the Sri Lanka series more your Countries cricket team level.

;)

Have a nice Christmas.....

Santa might even bring something to get that chip off your shoulder.

Sorry ...so you could understand ....I should have said Cheep.

Apology accepted, old chup. :)

Although for the record and clarity for the dumb Aussie, shot or shat? :confused: :confused:

I don't speak flightless bird in the genus Apteryx and family Apterygidae amongst the smallest living ratites on Gods homeland.

toodles bro

:cool:

I have no idea what it was all about....:D:D

I only play with trolls at Christmas ..;)

All the more's the pity you Hobbits can't get along without the short man syndrome year round. :D

There, there though take a Valium and have a good lie down before 16,694... :eek:

;)

What most people do not realize is that the red/blue fern flag actually had more votes in 1st position than the winning flag. As they ran this as a preferred vote the winning flag was the black/blue fern over the total count in all positions.

It was close but I believe it was less than 1% difference in the end. So if that many kiwis chose the red/blue fern then I can't see the flag being changed from the original.

Will be interesting for sure to see, we will be coming back from a cruise to the second vote in March next year.

What most people do not realize is that the red/blue fern flag actually had more votes in 1st position than the winning flag. As they ran this as a preferred vote the winning flag was the black/blue fern over the total count in all positions.

It was close but I believe it was less than 1% difference in the end. So if that many kiwis chose the red/blue fern then I can't see the flag being changed from the original.

Will be interesting for sure to see, we will be coming back from a cruise to the second vote in March next year.

Was the voting compulsory? If so, it may have a slim chance of getting up. If not then there is no hope.

Only about 50% of eligible people bothered to vote.

Voting isn't compulsory in NZ.

So basically anyone who didn't vote is most likely not wanting a new flag.

The new flag won just over 50% of those that did want a new flag.

This equates to around 25% of the voting population.

The chances a slim at best.

Edited by MicCanberra

The second part of the referendum puts the old flag up against the winner from this referendum.

So if 50% who want the old flag dont vote, then the new flag has a better than slim chance.

The second part of the referendum puts the old flag up against the winner from this referendum.

So if 50% who want the old flag dont vote, then the new flag has a better than slim chance.

But if they want to keep the old flag, then they will vote. Anyway, time will tell.:D

Exactly MicCanberra, this alone makes it a slim chance of a change but I see today the government are going to be advertising a lot about this until the final vote in March next year.

It was John Key who wanted this voted on, most of the voters here were against it from the start. The money could have been spent elsewhere.

Could be a wake up call for the Prime Minister in March. Talking to many friends and family here a lot didn't vote because they consider that a protest vote and will back the old flag when they do vote next year. So we could see a huge turnout for the next vote.

Exactly MicCanberra, this alone makes it a slim chance of a change but I see today the government are going to be advertising a lot about this until the final vote in March next year.

It was John Key who wanted this voted on, most of the voters here were against it from the start. The money could have been spent elsewhere.

Could be a wake up call for the Prime Minister in March. Talking to many friends and family here a lot didn't vote because they consider that a protest vote and will back the old flag when they do vote next year. So we could see a huge turnout for the next vote.

Same sort of rubbish, politicians don't care what the people want.

Also re the divided vote, of that's not the one I want, similar happened here during the republican referendum, I want a republic, "I want a republic but not that one" then complain when they don't get one.

Perhaps , most people do not want change.

As for the tactics of the flag debate with the politicians remember the roman Forum tactic of giving the people 'bread and circuses' and distract them from being unhappy with the rule;).

I think it is inevitable that one day both NZ and Australia will become republics. I am always concerned when politicians try to force this change upon the electorate. Currently I see no pressure either side of the ditch for such a significant change. I accept the tide is turning but has still some way to go. These sorts of referendum should be conducted during the normal election process. There is no rhyme nor reason to waste millions of dollars mid cycle

How many people outside of Australasia can differentiate between the New Zealand flag and the Australian flag?

I know we just consider Australia as our western isle but I'm sure we need to be recognised on "our own" after all we are world leaders in a good number of things!!!!!!

Yes they are reminiscent of corporate flags but that is good in my opinion. Lets face it Canada made the change and didn't regret it and little (in size) Norfolk Island is known world wide.

So numbers 2 or 4 would meet with my approval.

(OK wait for the comments!!)

agree to close and come times got to look again to make sure you say the right country for the right flag , the all black rugby team flag i always associate that with NZ i love it wish the fern in those ones was more like the one in the all black flag looks more crisp if you know what i mean

I worked in NZ in the 1960s for four years as a chef in hotels in Auckland, Wellington and Queenstown. I like NZ and New Zealanders. I found them warm, hospitable and friendly, sports loving and very fit.

But deep down I perceived that they were quite conservative and conformist. If those traits are present today then my guess is that a new flag for NZ is a long, long way away.