Prepaying Gratuities Before Final Payment

Mscruisin

I received an email that if I prepay my DSC I will get the rate before the latest increase at the CDN exchange rate I am currently locked in at. I tried to log in and do this but I get a message that prepaying gratuities is not currently available. Can you not do it online or do you have to call them?

I received an email that if I prepay my DSC I will get the rate before the latest increase at the CDN exchange rate I am currently locked in at. I tried to log in and do this but I get a message that prepaying gratuities is not currently available. Can you not do it online or do you have to call them?

Although I am paying with US currency, I did get the same message when trying to pre-pay my DSC for my trip next year. I gave NCL a quick call and got them added to my final payment.

Although I am paying with US currency, I did get the same message when trying to pre-pay my DSC for my trip next year. I gave NCL a quick call and got them added to my final payment.

That's what we did. We booked our Oct 30 cruise in January so our DSC was at that rate. Not a huge savings but one less thing to have on our final bill

That's what we did. We booked our Oct 30 cruise in January so our DSC was at that rate. Not a huge savings but one less thing to have on our final bill

Yeah, I prepaid our 16-day already. It will be nice not having that added on!

My wife and I booked Our cruise through a TA @ a Travel Show in March for a cruise to Bermuda in October. At the time we booked, we agreed to paid what was NCL's price for the cruise, We put down a deposit. Around May(?), we got an e-mail from NCL, that we could prepay Our DSC at the original price or pay the new, (higher) price at the end of the cruise. NCL should have honored the original price that was agreed upon with the agent, (representing NCL). When we made final payment we requested to prepay Our DSC. The Agent was unaware that NCL had made that change. If you can't get through online I would call and speak with someone directly. It may not be the end of the world, and we didn't cancel Our cruise. However, you wouldn't be happy if you bought a new car and as you went to pick it up after signing a purchase and sale agreement then they change the price.:(

At the time we booked, we agreed to paid what was NCL's price for the cruise, We put down a deposit. Around May(?), we got an e-mail from NCL, that we could prepay Our DSC at the original price or pay the new, (higher) price at the end of the cruise. NCL should have honored the original price that was agreed upon with the agent, (representing NCL).

NCL did honour the original price by letting you prepay at the rate that was in effect when you booked so your complaint is moot.

Also, if your TA really wasn't aware of the change by your final payment, I would definitely take my business elsewhere if I were you.

I prepaid our DSC at the lower rate, online (we'd booked months before any changes). It was after final payment, you may need to call if you're having a problem with it now. Also, I'd do it sooner rather than later b/c I'm not sure when they'll change the rate but I suspect it will be soon and considering our current exchange rate it could be a whopper.

Enjoy your cruises ;)

We booked in Cdn and paid the DSC beforehand at our locked in rate of 1.11 online (before final payment). Maybe it has to be done via phone if after final payment?

Final payment is not due yet and it won't let me do it online. We're locked in at the 1.11 rate as well but I want to pay it before final payment so I can avoid the recent increase in DSC. I guess I will have to call them.

Final payment is not due yet and it won't let me do it online. We're locked in at the 1.11 rate as well but I want to pay it before final payment so I can avoid the recent increase in DSC. I guess I will have to call them.

I made final payment this morning (although not due until November) and had the same issue. I was going to try again in a few days and then call if it isn't corrected by then.

I booked our cruise in CAD back in November, but upgraded our room in March. We have the promotion where the DSC is included for the first two passengers, leaving only the last two to pay for. Final payment is approaching, so I called my PCC to ask if I could prepay our DSC as the system was not allowing me to do it online. He informed me that due to the promotion I received, I can only pay for the remaining two passenger's DSC once I am onboard. Has anyone else been told this? Many other people paying in CAD seem to be able to prepay their DSC, has anyone else had a problem prepaying due to the past promotion? My PCC doesn't seem to be the sharpest stick and is always giving me incorrect information so I don't put much faith in anything he says.

I booked our cruise in CAD back in November, but upgraded our room in March. We have the promotion where the DSC is included for the first two passengers, leaving only the last two to pay for. Final payment is approaching, so I called my PCC to ask if I could prepay our DSC as the system was not allowing me to do it online. He informed me that due to the promotion I received, I can only pay for the remaining two passenger's DSC once I am onboard. Has anyone else been told this? Many other people paying in CAD seem to be able to prepay their DSC, has anyone else had a problem prepaying due to the past promotion? My PCC doesn't seem to be the sharpest stick and is always giving me incorrect information so I don't put much faith in anything he says.

I had the same issue. My PCC said that she could not make it work.

I just called and had it added as well for 1.11. It is due with final payment. It does show up on my account online now as well. I was told I needed to call them directly to add it. I'm not sure why some people were able to do it online themselves then.

Just did it over the phone with my PCC and the rate is still at 1.11 :)

I just called and had it added as well for 1.11. It is due with final payment. It does show up on my account online now as well. I was told I needed to call them directly to add it. I'm not sure why some people were able to do it online themselves then.

For those who did have it added, do you have the prepaid gratuities as part of your promos when you booked your cruise? I wonder if this is part of my problem trying to prepay...or if I have to just keep trying and contact NCL directly rather than my PCC.

We booked in February for December 2015 cruise on the POA. I prepaid the DSC online on the same day I paid the final balance to my TA.

Got the DSC rate that was in effect when I booked ($12) before the 2 increases. And the payment is noted on the confirmation from my TA.

For those who did have it added, do you have the prepaid gratuities as part of your promos when you booked your cruise? I wonder if this is part of my problem trying to prepay...or if I have to just keep trying and contact NCL directly rather than my PCC.

No it was not part of a Promo. We chose the UBP. I was just trying to pay ahead for the old DSC rate and to get the cheaper CDN exchange rate.

Update:

I called this morning directly to the NCL people. The man I spoke to initially confirmed what my PCC had said, and said he couldn't add the prepaid gratuities for guests 3 and 4 (guests 1 and 2 were paid for by the promo), and that I would have to pay those on the ship. Then he put me on hold for a while to speak with the help desk, and they were able to add it for me! However, in order to add it, they had to tweek the wording of the promos. When we booked all four of us received the UDP. However, the amenities list now shows that the last two passengers have been changed to the seven-day specialty dining plan. Although very similar, they are not exactly the same. The biggest difference that I can see is that the discount to attend the Illusionarium (25% discount with the UDP as opposed to $15 up-charge with the seven-day plan). I am not sure if this is enough of a problem in order to call them back and deal with this.

Thoughts?

I called this morning directly to the NCL people. The man I spoke to initially confirmed what my PCC had said, and said he couldn't add the prepaid gratuities for guests 3 and 4 (guests 1 and 2 were paid for by the promo), and that I would have to pay those on the ship. Then he put me on hold for a while to speak with the help desk, and they were able to add it for me! However, in order to add it, they had to tweek the wording of the promos. When we booked all four of us received the UDP. However, the amenities list now shows that the last two passengers have been changed to the seven-day specialty dining plan. Although very similar, they are not exactly the same. The biggest difference that I can see is that the discount to attend the Illusionarium (25% discount with the UDP as opposed to $15 up-charge with the seven-day plan). I am not sure if this is enough of a problem in order to call them back and deal with this.

The 7 day SDP allows you only one restaurant for each day, whereas the UDP allows you to eat at more than one per day.