Spoilt by Solstice???

chrisaus

Hi Everyone,

Love some advice.

We cruised in Alaska on the Solstice on my first ever cruise earlier this year. I travelled with my grandmother who normally travels on smaller cruise lines (Regent and Crystal). She was very impressed with the Solstice!

I had a sky suite and my grandmother had a celebrity suite.

We loved it so much - have booked a trip on the 14 night Chile & Argentina Cruise.

My only worry is the Celebrity Infinity - its a M class ship and I am worried we were spoilt by the S Class.

We have booked the Sky Suite and Celebrity Suite again.

Love to hear everyones feedback!

We have done four Solstice class cruises. Two on the Solstice; two on Silhouette. All great. Three Aqua Class one Concierge.

We are doing 14 days on the Millennium in November 2015 out of Singapore. Looking forward to the new experience. Aqua Class A1 in the new cabins on top floor.

Any insights from more experienced cruisers would be great.

We're completely in love with Celebrity's S class ships. We love the Asian and South American itineraries of Celebrity but didn't book them yet since we're not sure we'll like the smaller M class ships.

My parents have been on the S class ships twice (Solstice in Alaska, Silhouette in the Med) and recently went on a 14N Asian cruise on the Millennium. While they certainly preferred the S class ships, they said the Millennium wasn't so bad and they were on it for the itinerary.

We're also scheduled to be on the Infinity in 2017 (Rio Carnival Cruise), and sadly we don't have a choice since I believe larger ships cannot do this itinerary. I'm hoping we aren't too disappointed.

The M class is smaller and older but still a nice cruise. We have cruised frequently on both S and M class.

Just another idea, our favourite room ever is the M class penthouse. There is a bedroom and separate living room with a very comfortable sofa bed. Our adult son has travelled many times with us and it really is so suitable for small family group sharing. I would not think the cost would be any more than you are presently paying for your two smaller suites but the space, balcony and perks are soooooo much better. Have a look and consider!

We sailed on the Constellation in May, our 1st time on a M class after 8 S class cruises. We liked the ship it has a warmer feel that the S class ships. We too were concerned we wouldn't like it but we enjoyed our time and have 2cruises booked on the Infinity.

I've sailed all the S-Class ships (Reflection is my favorite) and also Infinity, Mercury, Century and Millennium. If the ship were the destination, say the Caribbean if you've been multiple times, then I'd certainly pick an S-Class. But if the ports are the destination (and M-Class is all that sails there!) then I'd happily pick the Infinity and enjoy all that Celebrity has to offer on all their ships.

I felt a full ship on Summit (2,500 people) was just too much for the ship. Long waits all the time for an elevator, which stops on every floor. Halls very crowded...pool deck too crowded...restaurants very crowded.

While the S Class ships carry more people, the added size/space seems to make it accommodate people more easily.

The same may also be true for back of the house operations and I wonder if the passenger/crew ratio is any different...for example, wait times in Blu were very long (sometimes 10-15 mins to be greeted by your waiter and very long waits for food, which often arrived not hot)...but this was not for lack of effort, as the Blu service crew was great...I just wonder if the kitchen is a wee bit too small for full capacity and the staffing a couple of people too thin?

Anyone have any similar perspectives?

I actually prefer the M class ships OVER the S class. I like their public spaces and pools more. I love the big glass windows in the MDR, and the extra space in the concierge class cabins. The biggest plus (IMHO) to the S class is the layout of the buffet.... much larger than M class. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, the smaller the better!!! I really miss the Mercury and Galaxy and was fortunate to be able to make their final journeys. We now cruise the M class as much as possible. Did one cruise on the Solstice and was not impressed in so many ways. This also is the opinion of the rest of our extended family. I hope you will enjoy the M class as much as we do.

Millenium/infinity/constellation etc are not a Solstice class ships, though it has been solstice renovated and Blu added etc. It is an OLD ship, and like many people as they age...not everything works ideal ;) These ships are next in line to be retired by Celebrity with the addition of the two more new ships being built and then the additional two after that.

These M class ships are a harder sell and thus they use them for the more adventurous cruises, south America vs. The Caribbean etc. Personally, I cruise as much for the ships as I do for the itinerary.....It is the same as Azamarra club cruises which Celebrity owns.....Older ships, smaller cabins....but diverse itineraries. When we want diverse we often cruise on Seabourn or Silversea who's pricing is similar to Celebrity's in suites such as Celebrity and Royal. They really go to far and away places and everything is included. Check your pricing. Also note that Suites on the M class ships can go for significantly less (depending on itineraries) than on S class ships.

As far as a Celebrity suite on M class ships....it is actually slightly larger then the Solstice class ships and has floor to ceiling windows. A lovely cabin. Aqua not so much and the M class ships have had propulsion problems throughout the years.

I like the Solstice class ships.....They are great and I look forward to the new ships being built. I believe in embracing change.....and the M class ships will be gone in 5-10 years. I look forward to seeing what takes their places.

Cheers! Happy sails.

Edited by cruiseerf

.........We have booked the Sky Suite and Celebrity Suite again.......

.......Just another idea, our favourite room ever is the M class penthouse. There is a bedroom and separate living room with a very comfortable sofa bed. Our adult son has travelled many times with us and it really is so suitable for small family group sharing. I would not think the cost would be any more than you are presently paying for your two smaller suites but the space, balcony and perks are soooooo much better. Have a look and consider!
I strongly second chemmo's suggestion to book a penthouse suite for both of you instead, even if only for that fabulous aft deck.

But additionally,

(1) If you put one person in a Sky Suite and the other in a Celebrity Suite, one will have access to Michael's Club and the other won't.

(2) While the Celebrity Suites are wonderful, if your grandmother has any mobility issues, climbing in and out of the deep CS bathtub can really be a problem.

(3) The great extra perks that come with the Penthouse Suite are much better than what you will get with the lower level suites.

(4) By booking two people in a Penthouse Suite, you avoid paying the outrageous single supplements.

Edited by fleckle