Questions about cruising to Alaska

youngtraveladdict

I was wondering if anyone had any info on cruising to ALaska, more spefically...

Which cruise lines cruise to Alaska- I know Princess, NCL, Royal Carribean, and Holland America. Am I missing any?

I was also wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best cruise line and cruise ship to take and what the best itinerary to take is. Has anyone tried the cruise tours (part cruise, part land)? Are they worth the money and time?

I am assuming a cabin with a balcony is probably the way to go for this type of cruise. Am I right?

Going to Alaska is one of my dream trips and I figure cruising Alaska is probably one of the best ways to do it. I just want to do it right. Any info or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Well, from my experience.... (2 cruises to Alaska): The first was Royal Caribbean and we went from Vancouver to Seward. Great trip and fantastic Glacier. Anchorage was beautiful. If you can - spend some extra time in the city (we had about 6 hours to "kill" while waiting for our plane - during that 6 hours, we were allowed to store our luggage at a local hotel that Royal had connections with - so no need to worry about dragging luggage around). The second cruise was on NCL Spirit. We had a fantastic time on that ship also. But this time we only went round trip Seattle-Seattle. This time the glacier viewing wasn't so great - but you could take an excursion tour and possibly get a greater view of the glacier.

Both trips we had an oceanview cabin - with picture windows. I enjoyed that because I could look outside the window - and yet stay warm!!! If there was something on the other side of the ship - you have to leave your room anyway and go to an outside deck. So, we opted for just the window.

Unfortunately we've not been able to take the extra land tour due to time constraints. (Hubby's job - maybe when he retires....)

Best ship? That's a hard one because I've found that each cruising experience is different. We've been on the same ship within 9 months time and had totally different cruise experiences due to a change in crew.

But I would definitely do the one way cruise vs the roundtrip. Have a great time - whatever you decide.

I have sailed to Alaska last year and will be taking a second cruise to Alaska in May of 2006.

Celebrity also has quite a number of sailings to Alaska and has been my cruise line of choice. While it would be impossible for me to identify the "best" cruise line, I would suggest reading some of the threads as to the pro's and con's of various cruise lines. Each cruise line targets a specific demographic market. I understand that Holland America caters to the more senior market while Carnival markets to the younger party market.

Celebrity markets to the demographic market that want luxury and enjoy the tradition of dressing in formal attire for dinner. I am sure you will read much debate on their dress code. They have virtually no announcements in your cabin and you will not have wet t-shirt and hairy chest contests which are featured on many of the party cruise lines.

It is an interesting question regarding the choice of a cabin. Balconies are really nice, especially on a warm weather cruise. I did find on a May Alaska cruise it was far to cold to spend much time on a balcony. I have read that in past years there has been quite warm weather in July and August.

We just returned from a Celebrity Infinity cruise to Alaska. We chose and inside cabin for this cruise because we planned not to spend much time in our cabin. I felt sorry for those that spent a lot of time on their balconys because they missed a lot of wildlife sightings. You really need to spend time on deck and be able to move around to fully experience things. I lost count of how many times we moved from one side to the other to watch whales as they swam (they don't always show up outside your balcony). It's also great to shoot photos from different levels, things look different shot from Promanade deck then they do from the higher decks. The M-Class ships (Infinity, Millennium, Constellation, and Summit) have wonderful heated pools that feel sooooo good after a cold day touring Alaska. There are also many public areas with glass walls to take advantage of the views, and a casual alternative dining area in the evenings with views that were so awesome we skipped the dining room most nights. The food there was actually better than the dining room, IMHO served by waiters and ordered from rotating menus (different daily), and did I mention the views.;) Our Itinerary was round trip from San Francisco and was 12 nights which I thought was good, but next time we will choose the same class ship and do a back to back northbound and southbound from Vancouver. There is so much to do in the ports and onboard that we could not possibly do everything we wanted to do.

Celebrity might market to a demographic of the more formal cruiser, but we found the Alaska Celebrity cruise to be much less formal than our Caribbean cruises.

Edited for spelling errors

Check out the Alaska board here, they have great ideas.

We just returned from Alaska on the Carnival Spirit. They have 2 cruises in May and 2 in Sept that are return from Vancouver.

You have to check to see if you want one way or return, and the itinerary. Both times we have been (Princess and Carnival) we have gone to Glacier Bay. You go for the scenery. It is just BEAUTIFUL.

Thanks everyone.

Has anyone cruised in early May? Unfortunately my job puts a lot of restrictions on the dates I can take vacation. The only week I can take off that is even remotely in the Alaska cruise season would be the first week of May. From what I can tell the only cruise that goes there is teh NCL Wind from April 30th to May 7th. Its a roundtrip from Vancouver. It stops at Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway and is scheduled to cruise the inside passage and sawyer glacier. If I want to do this trip in teh next 12 months this is my only option. I'm just wondering if it will be as enjoyable that early in the season to be worth it or should I just hold off another year.

I know there are no guarantees when it comes to weather and I'm not expecting it to be perfect just bearable enough to get out and enjoy.

Also, what do you think of the itinerary? Would it be a good taste of Alaska for a first timer?

youngtraveladdict,

Yes, the itenerary is just fine for your first cruise to Alaska. Early May, who knows, but weather even later in year can be bad. I came to Alaska after several port stops coming up west coast from San Diego arriving at Hubbard Glacier on May 14th this year and then to Juneau, Skagway, Sitka and Ketchikan and ending at Vancouver. We had excellent weather and enjoyed the cruise very much. We were on Celebrity Summit.

I would advise to go ahead and take the cruise that fits your schedule.

Happy cruising.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on cruising to ALaska, more spefically...

Which cruise lines cruise to Alaska- I know Princess, NCL, Royal Carribean, and Holland America. Am I missing any?

Radisson Seven Seas, Silversea, Cruise West, Celebrity, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, Carnival, Glacier Bay Cruise Line, American West Steamboat Company... research each to determine which is best for you, or alternatively, post your preferences and I'm sure someone will have a recommendation for you.

I was also wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best cruise line and cruise ship to take and what the best itinerary to take is. Has anyone tried the cruise tours (part cruise, part land)? Are they worth the money and time?

Been on board ships from most lines. Done cruise and land. Well worth the cruisetour if it's within your budget both financially and time wise. Each experience is distinctively different, and priced accordingly. Every line is the best at providing exactly the product they advertise.

I am assuming a cabin with a balcony is probably the way to go for this type of cruise. Am I right?

Correct.

Going to Alaska is one of my dream trips and I figure cruising Alaska is probably one of the best ways to do it. I just want to do it right. Any info or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

If you have further specific questions, just post them and they will likely be answered.

Thanks in advance!

You're welcome.

I have cruised Alaska multiple times. Personally, I would suggest you wait until you can cruise during peak time. June and July are the best for wildlife observation and also for weather. Since much of Alaska is about the natural beauty, I am afraid you will miss out by going so early in the season. It is an expensive trip and I would advise you schedule it when you can really enjoy it.

I have cruise in early June, late June, early August and late August. Late June was the best experience all the way around.

I have cruised twice with RCI and twice with with NCL.The one way Seward to Vancouver was much more impressive than the R/T Seattle and R/T Vancouver. Hubbard Glacier is not to missed!

I would recommend RCI over NCL for several reasons. Celebrity offers many options as do HAL and Princess. Many lines have their ships in Alaska for the summer so there are plenty of choices.

In my opinion - yes, absolutely! In the Caribbean, I don't think a balcony makes good money sense because there is water all around you and nothing to see. In Alaska, though, there is scenery all the time! You are never so far away from land that you can't see anything. I just returned from Alaska where I had a fully obstructed view, and I found myself looking out various windows around the ship. I'm taking my mom to Alaska next year and we have made sure to get a balcony because it's just that beautiful.

Oh, BTW, Inside Passage RT will typically be cheaper than a one-way. The reason for this is that air is usually cheaper when you don't have an open-jaw flight. (Flying into one airport and home from a different one.) I did some pricing for one-way trips and the airfare was always higher with an open-jaw involving Anchorage. You will probably get to see many more interesting things from a one-way but if money is a concern I think Inside Passage is cheaper.

Another vote for Celebrity..and a balcony. the scenery is gorgeous and...so nice on the day you tour the glacier...don't have to stand out on deck in the cold all afternoon! We met another couple on board whose balcony was on the opposite side of the ship so when the ship did its 180..the four of us saw everything without shifting around on deck with the crowds..

We didn't do the land tour and wish that we had...If you are going to spend the time and $$ to travel that far..see it all!

An excursion that we didn't do (and wish we had) was a whale watch. EVERYONE we met had an awesome time. We opted for kayaking in Juneau instead and were not impressed with what little wildlife we saw..helicopters buzzing overhead etc...

We've cruised all the lines and have had great experiences with all...but our cruise to Alaska happened to be with Celebrity

We took and inside because my sister went last year and said she had problems sleeping due to the light from outside. As stated by others, who wants to be in the cabin looking from your window when you could be upstairs with everyone, seeing everything, having fun, etc. Also, early May, sometimes the ship cannot go thru the inside passage and has to turn around. We did the Princess Regal-10 day out of San Francisco. Great cruise. Great tours.

I recently began this investigation, also, and strongly urge you to check the Alaska Ports of Call section of this board for complete immersion in all things Alaskan.

I'm taking Mom and we're going cheap on the cabin in order to spend the money onshore, with things like a dog sled ride, whale watching excursion and prob'ly flightseeing. We also know that we'll tire of being each others constant companion for an entire week and don't plan to be in the cabin much anyway. We will likely seek out the naturalist and stick close to be able to ask questions and see as much as possible. Sure, it may be less private and more cold out on deck, but we can handle the cold. other passengers being as awestruck as we are certain to be will be part of the fun!

We're probably going one-way because it has more of what we want to see, with the right amount of time in ports.

Wisdom I've been given: decide what's most important to you on the trip, then choose the itinerary and ship that fits it (that whittled down the seemingly endless possibilities pretty quick!).

I've also come to find out that Alaska is addictive so am already calling the cruise I haven't yet booked "my first Alaskan cruise"...

To be inside, or with a balcony gets different responses all of the time.

Our take on this was, we did not intend to spend many hours in our cabins - even if we did have a balcony.

We did not want an obstructed view, or even a porthole - that seems pretty silly to us.

As it turned out, we were absolutely delighted with our inside cabins, and saved about $300 pp by doing this. (4X300+$1200)

We used the money on car rental, scooter rental, kayaking, trip to Mendenhall, and whatever else we chose to do.

We were only in the cabin to sleep, bathe, and get dressed - that was it, the entire trip.

The decks are the place to be for sightings. From one side to the other, and back and forth.

We cruised in September - the second week, and could not have asked for better weather. The cruise right after us, was not as nice, nor was the one prior.

Weather was not a factor for us - we took ponchos and hats, gloves, etc., so that we were prepared for any type of situation.

There could be foul weather any time of year in Alaska - and there could be excellent weather anytime prior to October. It really is a chance that you take when you decide to do Alaska.

Regardless of the weather, inside or outside cabin, etc., you will love Alaska and all of it's beauty.

Have a great time, and if you are like the rest of us, one trip will not fill the ticket. We are already planning our next trip to Alaska. Can't wait to get back and see what we may have missed the first time around.

Happy Cruising!!

Archived