Port of Miami, Hotels to stay in

kteg1752

You are golden where you are. Blue Herons says I'm the one who had better be careful, which i will. Just because i am on vacation doesn't mean i am not aware of my surroundings.:)

I'll be looking over my shoulder.

Bill

Very smart man!

YVE Hotel on Biscayne Blvd is across the street from Bayside and one block away from the Intercontinental and the Holiday Inn and maybe 4 blocks from the entrance to the port of Miami. Lots of people stay there. Good pub with good food on the 1st floor as well.

Got what I consider a great deal here for a couple of nights before our cruise. What's the best way to get to the hotel from the airport?

You are golden where you are. Blue Herons says I'm the one who had better be careful, which i will. Just because i am on vacation doesn't mean i am not aware of my surroundings.:)

I'll be looking over my shoulder.

Bill

I've lived here in Miami for 24 years.....worked downtown for past 11 years.

Never got mugged, never had any trouble at all but you need to be diligent in any city. That being said, we're packing up and moving to South Carolina.

Miami is a big city now. I love it but I'm ready to leave it. I'll miss seeing the cruise ships coming and going in Government Cut so I'll make sure we come back to get on those ships as much as possible!

I've lived here in Miami for 24 years.....worked downtown for past 11 years.

Never got mugged, never had any trouble at all but you need to be diligent in any city. That being said, we're packing up and moving to South Carolina.

Miami is a big city now. I love it but I'm ready to leave it. I'll miss seeing the cruise ships coming and going in Government Cut so I'll make sure we come back to get on those ships as much as possible!

He's staying out at the airport. A lot different than downtown.

Where in SC? I'm from MB. Family is from CHS.

He's staying out at the airport. A lot different than downtown.

Where in SC? I'm from MB. Family is from CHS.

I'm assuming folks stay around MIA because they don't know any better. Honestly, I wouldn't stay near the airport in any city

unless I had a very early flight or the price was too good to be true.

We're moving to Hilton Head Island. Joining the rest of the retirees in their

manicured, golf course view homes in their secure little gated community.

We own a site in an RV park there and decided we'd like to live there rather than drive the 550 miles between Miami and HHI. I'm going to miss diving in

the Keys every weekend and just driving to the port for a cruise but I'll get by.

I'm assuming folks stay around MIA because they don't know any better. Honestly, I wouldn't stay near the airport in any city

We own a site in an RV park there and decided we'd like to live there rather than drive the 550 miles between Miami and HHI. I'm going to miss diving in

the Keys every weekend and just driving to the port for a cruise but I'll get by.

Sorry I don't have an early flight the next day. I just didnt want to pay $250-$350 to stay downtown. Read plenty of reviews of our hotel and didn't read one person on any of the reviews where anybody mentioned they felt unsafe.

I live in Philadelphia so i am well aware of my surroundings at all times.

Bill

SS Ocean, what's your rate on the EB near the airport? Refundable?

I've seen it for 220ish excl. tax/fees, at best, for one night.

The Hampton Inn & Suites Miami/Brickell-Downtown goes for 255 excl. tax/fees or Edgewater South Beach on a quiet part of Ocean Drive (nice boutique hotel, spacious rooms, personal recommendation) for 226 excl. tax/fees, both Feb 6 to 7.

SS Ocean, what's your rate on the EB near the airport? Refundable?

I've seen it for 220ish excl. tax/fees, at best, for one night.

The Hampton Inn & Suites Miami/Brickell-Downtown goes for 255 excl. tax/fees or Edgewater South Beach on a quiet part of Ocean Drive (nice boutique hotel, spacious rooms, personal recommendation) for 226 excl. tax/fees, both Feb 6 to 7.

Nope not refundable since we got in on Hotwire for $151 before taxes

You'll love it! I miss the Gamecock football (Class of 1991), the sunsets in the fall, fried oysters, the FOOD, oyster roasts, boiled peanuts, the balmy breezes on the fall, the golf, the azaleas in the spring, the fresh spring after a cold winter, shopping in Charleston, shrimp and grits, and did I say the food?

Enjoy and godspeed on your journey!

You'll love it! I miss the Gamecock football (Class of 1991), the sunsets in the fall, fried oysters, the FOOD, oyster roasts, boiled peanuts, the balmy breezes on the fall, the golf, the azaleas in the spring, the fresh spring after a cold winter, shopping in Charleston, shrimp and grits, and did I say the food?

Enjoy and godspeed on your journey!

Thanks....I'd never had shrimp & grits before we started going to HHI and you are right about the food....I thought the seafood in the Keys was good but OMG the low country has the best! We nearly froze last January there but now I know why all the houses have fireplaces. Nothing like a cozy fire & a cuppa whatever when it's cold outside. I grew up in Colorado so I'll get used to it. This summer in Miami was really, really hot and humid (but you know that) so some cooler weather is going to be a welcome change.

Blue Lagoon area is ok....right across from the airport so a bit noisy. I worked on Blue Lagoon drive about 15 years ago but the area has grown quite a bit - more hotels, more eateries. You really need to give the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant a try....on the corner of Red Road and Perimeter Road at the airport. Good food and you can listen to the airport tower on headphones at your table. I got married there 20 years ago - I think I'm the only bride in whose wedding photos is sitting on old army trucks and a bale of hay with a rusty gatling gun. There's an old DC3 airplane (I think it's a DC3) sitting on the front corner at the stop light.

Edited by Diver2014

YVE Hotel on Biscayne Blvd is across the street from Bayside and one block away from the Intercontinental and the Holiday Inn and maybe 4 blocks from the entrance to the port of Miami. Lots of people stay there. Good pub with good food on the 1st floor as well.

What is YVE?

Thank You. I thought is was a acronym for a particular hotel. :o

Hehe, I thought so but I couldn't resist using once that Let Me Google That For You.. site hehe, sorry! :)

Ontopic; the former B2 had some issues with noise and indeed slow elevators in reviews, but that's the price you pay I guess. There are just a few hotels in that area close to PoM.

From what I'm reading there aren't any hotels that include both airport transportation and cruise transportation. Our problem is that my parents aren't as able bodied as they used to be and can't just jump on any shuttle and drag around their luggage. I really am looking for a hotel that won't cost more than $200 a night. We're sailing out of Miami, but might be flying into either Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Of course I'd love cheaper if possible, but don't want anything sketchy.

Rachel

Not sure why you would prefer a "free" shared hotel shuttle with waiting times over private transport or a cab where the driver will lift your luggage in the trunk. Cabs are the best way to go to PoM.

Hotel prices can vary by week or time of the year, supply and demand, without a date and any more preferences it's hard to recommend something.

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Not sure why you would prefer a "free" shared hotel shuttle with waiting times over private transport or a cab where the driver will lift your luggage in the trunk. Cabs are the best way to go to PoM.

Hotel prices can vary by week or time of the year, supply and demand, without a date and any more preferences it's hard to recommend something.

i would agree with the "free" shared hotel shuttle. In my opinion, only book a hotel with a "free" shuttle if it is a DEAL. To me, much better to book a cheaper hotel without the "Free shuttle" and just either rent a car or take a cab and factor that into the hotel cost. Most of the time it comes out to be cheaper or at very least the same cost as the hotel with the free shuttle, and you are right, taking a cab is much less hassle than a free shuttle.

One time, we waited for 45 minutes for a shuttle to pick us up at the airport, and then we had to stop at 5 different hotels to pick up people to go to the port in the morning, took forever and was very cramped... Not a pleasant experience, and definitely one I *try* to avoid.

Usually worth the extra money for the cab or private transportation

Edited by aubreyc1988

From what I'm reading there aren't any hotels that include both airport transportation and cruise transportation. Our problem is that my parents aren't as able bodied as they used to be and can't just jump on any shuttle and drag around their luggage. I really am looking for a hotel that won't cost more than $200 a night. We're sailing out of Miami, but might be flying into either Miami or Fort Lauderdale.

Of course I'd love cheaper if possible, but don't want anything sketchy.

Rachel

$200 a night (or cheaper) and not 'sketchy' with shuttle service....I doubt you find anything like that in all of south Florida. If you do, please let us know so I have a place to put relatives up when they come to visit!

$200 a night (or cheaper) and not 'sketchy' with shuttle service....I doubt you find anything like that in all of south Florida. If you do, please let us know so I have a place to put relatives up when they come to visit!

I think the best way to do it is to find a hotel with airport shuttle service and then just take a cab to the port if you aren't renting a car.

You can get a very nice hotel for 100.00 a night either in Miami or FLL with airport shuttle, and then a taxi is around 20-30 bucks from the MIA airport, so could be cheaper depending on where the hotel you are staying at. That brings it under 200.00. Even with a cab back to the airport after the cruise

You can get a very nice hotel for 100.00 a night either in Miami or FLL with airport shuttle, and then a taxi is around 20-30 bucks from the MIA airport, so could be cheaper depending on where the hotel you are staying at. That brings it under 200.00. Even with a cab back to the airport after the cruise

Hotel prices are totally dependent upon the season. You won't get anything (much less a 'very nice hotel') in Miami or FLL for $100 a night in high season (Christmas through April) and that price is hard to obtain for a nice hotel in anything but the dead of summer.

Given the distance (30 miles) between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, hotel shuttles don't service the airport or port in the other city. Miami hotels with shuttles service only the Miami Airport and/or Port of Miami while Fort Lauderdale hotels with shuttles service only Fort Lauderdale Airport and/or Port Everglades. Not all hotels with shuttles service both the local airport and seaport.

If you decide to stay in one city and leave from the other, you have options of a taxi or a commercial shuttle. Taxis between Fort Lauderdale and Miami are at least $75 plus tip (and if you get stuck in traffic it could be considerably more). Shuttle prices start around $15 per person.