Charleston S.C. hotels

MURCOTT

Cruising in March and plan to stay the night before in Charleston. There are two Embassy Suites. One downtown and one airport/north. The downtown location is probably a better location I'm guessing, since the price is double that of the airport location. We are looking at Embassy Suites because we've stayed at the one in Ft. Lauderdale and really enjoyed it.

Has anyone stayed recently at either hotel and can you share your thoughts.

Or....can anyone offer a suggestion for other property offering free breakfast and airport shuttle? Trying to keep it under $200. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful hotel in a great location. Lots of restaurants and historic district all within easy walk. There are many hotels that offer cruise packages in Charleston and may offer shuttle. Check the Convention & Visitors Bureau website for the current list.

• 2 weeks later...
Cruising in March and plan to stay the night before in Charleston. There are two Embassy Suites. One downtown and one airport/north. The downtown location is probably a better location I'm guessing, since the price is double that of the airport location. We are looking at Embassy Suites because we've stayed at the one in Ft. Lauderdale and really enjoyed it.

Has anyone stayed recently at either hotel and can you share your thoughts.

Or....can anyone offer a suggestion for other property offering free breakfast and airport shuttle? Trying to keep it under $200. Thanks

I have a lot of customers who come to Charleston and stay at the Embassy Suites Historic District. Nice location, great eateries near by. Keep in mind you will have to pay per night to park (I think it's $16.00 for the garage across the road/$22.00 for valet.)

The only real complaint that I've heard from people is that if you're uber sensitive to mold, this may NOT be the hotel for you. Everyone has allergy problems from it and we've had A LOT of rain lately.

can anyone offer a suggestion for other property offering free breakfast and airport shuttle? Trying to keep it under $200. Thanks

Please don't come to Charleston and eat a free hotel breakfast that you can get in any hotel anywhere on any other trip! :eek:

Our city is known for its culinary offerings and breakfast or brunch is no exception. Particularly if you opt for a downtown area hotel, there are so many places to get a good southern breakfast or a nice weekend brunch with a southern flair. You are only going to be here for a day...make the most of it!

:)

Edited by waterbug123

Please don't come to Charleston and eat a free hotel breakfast that you can get in any hotel anywhere on any other trip! :eek:

Our city is known for its culinary offerings and breakfast or brunch is no exception. Particularly if you opt for a downtown area hotel, there are so many places to get a good southern breakfast or a nice weekend brunch with a southern flair. You are only going to be here for a day...make the most of it!

:)

THIS 1000 TIMES OVER. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Also, lunch and dinner at any our fine eating establishments instead of "hotel food" or "fast food" or national chain stuff. :D

OP asked for other options-- try the King Charles Best Western. It is about 1 1/2 blocks away from the Embassy Suites Historic District (further into the historic area) and is NOTHING like your typical Best Western. That was always our choice before we moved to Charleston.

OP asked for other options-- try the King Charles Best Western. It is about 1 1/2 blocks away from the Embassy Suites Historic District (further into the historic area) and is NOTHING like your typical Best Western. That was always our choice before we moved to Charleston.

are you like most folks I know (including myself) who, once they moved to Charleston tend to avoid the peninsula whenever possible. :D

are you like most folks I know (including myself) who, once they moved to Charleston tend to avoid the peninsula whenever possible. :D

I've lived here over 20 years and I don't get downtown very often, but I do enjoy going when I can, as does most everyone I know. Obviously, I wouldn't attempt it during, say, CoC move-in weekend, LOL, but I love going downtown for drinks at the market pavilion rooftop, brunch at High Cotton, dinner at Fig etc. and occasionally a friend and I will head down for lunch at Sermet's, and spend the day shopping and browsing the stores we don't have in Mt.P (Wms Sonoma, Kate Spade, L'Occitane etc.) :)

• 2 months later...

I have stayed at both Embassy locations. Downtown is nice because you can walk to the downtown attractions fairly easily. The airport location is walking distance to the convention center and performing arts center and very near Tanger Outlets, as well being convenient to restaurants.

There is a Homewood Suites in Mt. Pleasant that is walking distance to restaurants and grovery/ liquor stores that has free breakfast everyday and free snacks (more like light dinner) and beer and wine Mon-Thurs.

There is also a fairly new Home 2 Suites near the performing arts center in North Charleston that has a free breakfast.

The Homewood Suites has 2 room suites and a full kitchenette. The Home 2 Suites is usually a studio room with a small kitchenette, but has some two room suites.

I believe the Hyatt Place in North Charleston near the convention center also has free breakfast and a type of complimentary manager's reception in the evening.

We did end up in Mt. Pleasant and have booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Holiday Inn Express. This location was half the price of the Embassy Suites in the downtown area allowing us to stay 2 nights before the cruise. We will now be able to see some of the many attractions that Charleston offers.

We did end up in Mt. Pleasant and have booked a 2 bedroom suite at the Holiday Inn Express. This location was half the price of the Embassy Suites in the downtown area allowing us to stay 2 nights before the cruise. We will now be able to see some of the many attractions that Charleston offers.

That is a great choice! You will right over the bridge from downtown and close to Patriots Point if you have any interest in touring an aircraft carrier and submarine. There are also some good restaurants down that way. Sesame has the best burgers ever, Liberty Tap Room is good, and Cinabarre id great for getting a decent dinner and drinks while watching the latest movie.

That is a great choice! You will right over the bridge from downtown and close to Patriots Point if you have any interest in touring an aircraft carrier and submarine. There are also some good restaurants down that way. Sesame has the best burgers ever, Liberty Tap Room is good, and Cinabarre id great for getting a decent dinner and drinks while watching the latest movie.

Thanks for the tips...we'll keep them in mind. I'm told there is a Harris Teeter in the area where we could pick up some wine. Do you know if it's within walking distance of the Holiday Inn Express?

Thanks for the tips...we'll keep them in mind. I'm told there is a Harris Teeter in the area where we could pick up some wine. Do you know if it's within walking distance of the Holiday Inn Express?

Yes. It is just across Hwy17.

You can also get to Ft Sumter from Patriot's point as well. (the other location is next to the aquarium downtown)

Edited by TruckerDave

Just my .02 but I'd skip Cinnebarre. It's a chain, and the food is nothing to write home about. The Charleston area has great restaurants...no need to fall back on a chain. Tavern & Table is a fairly new restaurant on Shem Creek in Mt. P, that has been a big hit with locals since opening. Graze is also good, and located in the shopping center across from the aforementioned Harris Teeter. If you want casual homestyle cooking, Boulevard Diner near Shem Creek is another popular choice, open for breakfast as well. Also near Shem Creek, The Shelter and Coleman Public House are great choices and both serve brunch on the weekends as well. If you head to downtown Charleston, there's a whole 'nother plethora of restaurants to choose from.

Just my .02 but I'd skip Cinnebarre. It's a chain, and the food is nothing to write home about. The Charleston area has great restaurants...no need to fall back on a chain. Tavern & Table is a fairly new restaurant on Shem Creek in Mt. P, that has been a big hit with locals since opening. Graze is also good, and located in the shopping center across from the aforementioned Harris Teeter. If you want casual homestyle cooking, Boulevard Diner near Shem Creek is another popular choice, open for breakfast as well. Also near Shem Creek, The Shelter and Coleman Public House are great choices and both serve brunch on the weekends as well. If you head to downtown Charleston, there's a whole 'nother plethora of restaurants to choose from.

I'll offer another vote for Coleman Public house. You might also try Page's Okra Grill on Coleman for a local restaurant with very good food and reasonable prices. Nothing fancy though.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks for all the suggestions...you guys are awesome. Dinner both nights will be in Mt. Pleasant so we will probably choose something within walking distance of the Holiday Inn Express. Lunch on our 2nd day will be in Charleston in between our tours.

If everyone we meet is as nice as you all have been we can't miss having a great time.

Barb

Thanks for all the suggestions...you guys are awesome. Dinner both nights will be in Mt. Pleasant so we will probably choose something within walking distance of the Holiday Inn Express. Lunch on our 2nd day will be in Charleston in between our tours.

If everyone we meet is as nice as you all have been we can't miss having a great time.

Barb

We are! :D So you'll have a great time for sure. At least Conde' Naste Traveler's readers think so, year after year after year etc...

A couple of years ago it was the Planet.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/how-charleston-became-the-best-damn-city-on-the-planet/Content?oid=4239054 :cool:

Barb

You'll have a few choices but far more if you'll take a short (5 min) Uber ride to the Shem Creek/Coleman Blvd. area. :)

I completely agree with this- I just thought transportation was an issue. Waterbug is absolutely right about skipping chain restaurants if you can get to other places- especially Shem Creek. We love the chilled crab meat appetizer at RB's.

Barb

This is a really nice post. It makes me want to be better and nicer everday:-)