Best way to get to Dawn in Boston

LALAFRANCE

Parking anywhere is expensive, but driving to Black Falcon from New Bedford is so much easier than public transit options - you can drop your luggage at the pier, then go park - perhaps 100 yards away. Returning, you can be home before noon - again with no hassle. We've driven from CT a number of times - so much better than the alternatives. I just wish there were winter sailings to the Caribbean from Boston - any time you can avoid flying you should grab it.

We do the Commuter Rail to South Station, then either the Silver Line or a taxi to Black Falcon.

Having looked at this for someone else, I agree. ;)

I presume that you are not driving and don't want driving instructions.

The hotel they were staying at had a free shuttle to the airport and/or South Station but only went to the pier if you had their Park & Cruise passage. :mad:

I suggested they took the free shuttle to South Station and then the bus or taxi from there. ;)

Mike

Pom by Birth, Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

Having looked at this for someone else, I agree. ;)

I presume that you are not driving and don't want driving instructions.

The hotel they were staying at had a free shuttle to the airport and/or South Station but only went to the pier if you had their Park & Cruise passage. :mad:

I suggested they took the free shuttle to South Station and then the bus or taxi from there. ;)

Mike

Pom by Birth, Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

Off-topic, I know; but can any of you Down-under people explain the origin of Pom or Pommie?

Off-topic, I know; but can any of you Down-under people explain the origin of Pom or Pommie?

Very simple. It really should be Pome; shortened to Pom or pronounced Pommie.

"West Islanders" arrived there at the start of colonization as convicts, Aussies try to trace ancestry back to a convict settler, just like the Americans try to trace back to their first settlers.

Being convicts or "Prisoners of Mother England" gave rise to the term. :)

Even when we migrated in 1969 we were referred to as "B....y Poms" and I used to get "Pommie B.....d"; terms of abuse or affection depending on the speaker and the intonation!! :D

Mike

Pom By Birth, Coin Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice.

Being convicts or "Prisoners of Mother England" gave rise to the term. :)

Source: Snopes (and the OED):

This amusing anecdote is doubtful as anything more than a fanciful invention, as acronymic origins antedating the mid-twentieth century are automatically suspect, and the use of "pommy" has been recorded at least as far back as 1915. Moreover, nobody has yet turned up corroborating evidence that "Prisoner of His Majesty" or "Prisoners of Mother England" were actually common designations for criminals transported to Australia. The best guess at this time is that "pommy" was based on the word "pomegranate" — either because the redness of the fruit supposedly matched the typically florid British complexion, or because (like "Johnny Grant") it was used as rhyming slang for "immigrant."

If you are in New Bedford, short of getting someone to drive you, just drive to the pier. Parking really isn't that bad compared to other ports, plus, when you get back, you get in the car and go.

I have to say, driving there was downright easy. Set your GPS for Black Falcon Pier and it will take you right to the line up to drop your luggage. Then drive 100-200 yards to the parking lot and walk back.

Cost is $140 to park for the week. I guess you need to way that cost, vs the cost of trains and buses and then factor in the hassle factor which of course is different for everyone.

thank you everyone, I guess pier parking it will be! Had an awful experience (break in/no ignition on return + no breaks because it was driven with parking brake LOL) twice at a park and fly hotel and a garage so I was leary on parking lot.

Patti

My parents live down there and we were researching the same thing since we will be leaving from their house. My parents aren't going on the trip but are not city drivers and don't want to drive into downtown Boston. What we are doing is they will drive us to the Logan Express in Braintree and we are going to take an Uber from there to the terminal (like a taxi you order from your phone). If the Logan Express parking rates are cheaper, you might want to consider doing that yourself.

The bus terminals to Logan/South Station in New Hampshire have free parking so if I was leaving from NH that is what I would do. Bus to South Station and taxi to the terminal.

Also, my cruise is two weeks so that's a lot of parking money.

Edited by Fitzyk23