Baby born on the Independence!

C-Hill

Actually, so many people are bashing her, it's like they think they know her, how far along she was, and that she's nothing but a big fat liar who would jeopardize her baby for a cruise. The fact is that (so far) nobody on here knows her but many sure are judging her based on nothing but rumors.

That pretty much sums it up. Congratulations to the parents. That's all I got.

I hope that mother and baby are doing fine.

It sounds like the medical staff on board did a great job. They don't deliver babies every day. But their medical skills must be up to date. The Captain and his staff did a great job getting into port early. I say a job well done by all.

I came across this post by "Sharon" on Cruise Law News...

"I was on this cruise as well. There were a few expectant mothers onboard. I do not know whether I ever saw the mother but I was told by another passenger ( who was also expecting ) that the woman who gave birth was at 23 weeks and Royal Caribbean allows passengers to sail up to 24 weeks pregnant.

We were never told how much the baby weighed. The captain stated they kept him warm by by surrounding him with stacks of towels, and that paramedics brought an incubator onboard when we docked at San Juan. Later in the week, we received an update that the baby was doing well and gaining weight. They were able to transfer to a hospital in Florida at the end of the week.

I pray that the baby and family continue to do well."

If the baby was indeed 23 weeks, it would be considered extremely premature. I found this statistic: Nearly 2 to 3 out of 10 survived (about 7 to 8 out of 10 died)(that is, babies born at 23 weeks)....let's regroup our collective goodwill and send it in the direction of this little guy in FL.

I looked HUGE at 12 weeks, and had my son at 34 weeks, so for all those speculating that she lied about her due date - maybe she really was just under the cut-off and just trying to have a babymoon that went terribly crooked...my thoughts and prayers are with them at this point.

I was on that cruise and the captain announced that the baby is a U.S. citizen, and that his birth certificate will show "born at sea".

While the captain does and knows a lot of things, he has no control over a birth certificate. That is issued by the state (likely FL in this case) based on hospital records.

Biker, who senses thread closure approaching.:cool:

While the captain does and knows a lot of things, he has no control over a birth certificate. That is issued by the state (likely FL in this case) based on hospital records.

Biker, who senses thread closure approaching.:cool:

Which part do you think is incorrect? The "born at sea" part?

From Wikipedia,

In addition to the question of a child's citizenship, there is also a question of how to report "Place of Birth" for children born in transit. US State Department guidance instructs that a child born in international waters should have their place of birth listed as "AT SEA", while those born in the territorial waters of any country would list the name of that country.[

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_aboard_aircraft_and_ships

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Which part do you think is incorrect? The "born at sea" part?

The mother could tell the hospital anything - she could tell the hospital that the baby was born in the back of a car down the street. And no one other than the ship navigator can say with any certainty where exactly the ship was when the baby was born (and I highly doubt they would send documentation to the hospital). With as many boats and water around Florida, having a baby on a boat/ship is probably not that unusual - and anything can happen in the hospital records.

Biker, whose point was that the captain can say what should happen, but he has no control over what will actually happen.