Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

It can help expedite the replacement of a lost or stolen passport. A copy does seem to be considered evidence of citizenship by the State Department. But I agree, you can't travel with a copy. A copy of a passport is even worth less in the US and its possessions. At least outside the US, you can use it at a consulate or embassy to make replacement of your passport quicker.

100% my point

Seems that way

Unfortunately the customer service desk will be loaded with folks demanding a free cruise and demanding a chance to go to the bridge and steer the ship and wear the Master's uniform. Guessing they will give everyone $x of OBC and x% off a future cruise. I am confident they will handle it right and folks will be taken care of appropriately.

Edited by tafische

Carnival booked out the rooms at Bolongo Bay. Not looking good

Why would they need rooms? According to the latest statement, passengers have been allowed to reboard. So if they do cancel the remaining days, they can just allow people to stay on the ship until they can fly them out.

Why would they need rooms? According to the latest statement, passengers have been allowed to reboard. So if they do cancel the remaining days, they can just allow people to stay on the ship until they can fly them out.

Good chance they also have a bunch of staff folks, mechanics, engineers, PR people, etc that immediately got on a plane and headed down. They will also need a place to stay.

We were on the Liberty when the incident happened in St. Maarten, they said it was a bearing, maybe it was a bearing in one of the thrusters. I remember we were eating our breakfast at Lido before getting off the ship to go to port, and they were making all these announcements, like Alpha, etc. I thought they were doing some kind of a drill, as they do sometimes the morning of a port stop. When we get off the ship, there were fire trucks, etc all over the place. No picture taking when we got off the ship that day!

11100235_10153191994458958_8896277064716953024_n.jpg?oh=4aa1db4e6aceeed3a9c03c206ecacbe6&oe=567BE748

Thank you for the information and picture. I remembered when that happened but forgot what happened after that, whether the cruise continued or if St. Maarten was the last stop before San Juan. Did the cruise continue or were people flown home or to San Juan from St. Maarten?

I'm closely watching this current situation as we are scheduled to cruise on Liberty in two weeks, on the 20th. Since we have non refundable plane tickets, we have decided that we'll salvage our vacation and fly down to San Juan as scheduled and spend a week there and try to schedule another cruise, on this same itinerary, sometime next year.

Thank you for the information and picture. I remembered when that happened but forgot what happened after that, whether the cruise continued or if St. Maarten was the last stop before San Juan. Did the cruise continue or were people flown home or to San Juan from St. Maarten?

I'm closely watching this current situation as we are scheduled to cruise on Liberty in two weeks, on the 20th. Since we have non refundable plane tickets, we have decided that we'll salvage our vacation and fly down to San Juan as scheduled and spend a week there and try to schedule another cruise, on this same itinerary, sometime next year.

This is how Dream was handled

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5258

Yes, things went on as normal. We went on an excursion that we had planned and by the time we got back to the ship, we boarded as normal. Left port on time, and the rest of the cruise was uneventful. We were lucky. I hope all the folks on the Liberty now are relaxing and having a good time.

No we kept cruising but I feel with liberty the bubble gum fix didn't work. I have been on that ship twice and the last time it vibrated so bad in the aft section I would never go back.

No we kept cruising but I feel with liberty the bubble gum fix didn't work. I have been on that ship twice and the last time it vibrated so bad in the aft section I would never go back.

When we cruised on the Liberty in March, we were deck 2 - aft. One of those larger corner rooms. We did not notice any more vibration than the usual going into port in the mornings. Maybe you were in a different section.

Pauleydm, we are scheduled to sail on Liberty in two weeks and have been following this thread all day for your updates. Thank you for keeping all of us updated on the situation. Love that you gave facts as you knew them without speculation and embellishment. I'm sorry this happened, but glad that it happened while Liberty was actually docked in St. Thomas instead of out in the middle of the ocean. Since our airfare to and from San Juan are non refundable tickets, our plan is to fly down as scheduled. If Liberty sails for our cruise, great. If not, a week in Puerto Rico is a pretty sweet backup plan. We will be watching the situation closely. Thank you again for keeping us posted.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

I am on the Carnival Liberty currently stuck at the Marriott. They are telling us that no passengers have been allowed on the ship yet and will be at least another hour before we may be able to leave.

That's not true. The person who started this thread is already back onboard. It has been reported that dinner is being served onboard at this time too.

This is how Dream was handled

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5258

Yes, things went on as normal. We went on an excursion that we had planned and by the time we got back to the ship, we boarded as normal. Left port on time, and the rest of the cruise was uneventful. We were lucky. I hope all the folks on the Liberty now are relaxing and having a good time.

I totally forgot about the Dream in St. Maarten...that's the one I was getting the March issue with Liberty confused with. Thank you both.

Carnival booked out the rooms at Bolongo Bay. Not looking good

There's a good chance they secured those rooms for support staff and corporate honcho's that are probably coming down to assist with the issues. Passengers have already been allowed to re-board the ship.

There's a good chance they secured those rooms for support staff and corporate honcho's that are probably coming down to assist with the issues. Passengers have already been allowed to re-board the ship.

I imagine some alternative arrangements might be in the process for Barbados pax as well.

Oh wait...I didn't realize you were ON Liberty when that happened. We were on Liberty in April 2014 and felt some vibration, but it was a western Caribbean cruise and to be honest, the roughest water we've ever experienced. Not saying it was extremely rough seas, just rougher than we'd ever had, including our first missed port. Our cabin was mid-ship, so we didn't really feel vibration there, but did feel the rockin' and rolling the day we missed port. We had been very lucky with weather and sea conditions on our first five cruises.