Do You Visit MDR for Any Formal Nites?

cjdixon4

We enjoyed eating in the MDR both formal nights.

Last month I could not decide between the lobster tail and the steak, so my DH said to waiter, just bring both and he did.

DH ate very well that night.

I enjoyed the lobster.

Sea Ya

I was just interested in hearing some opinions from other RCI cruisers after having a discussion with some friends. Do any of you go to the MDR for both formal nights, one night, or none of them? For me even though formal nights don't appear to be really FORMAL these days, the only time I typically get to eat lobster and my key lime pie is on formal night #2. My friends say they don't really care about it anymore and would opt for specialty or Windjammer. What are your thoughts?
100% of the time...:)

I didn't realize that this was even about dressing up or not until I read more responses. OP mentioned food and asked if people went to the MDR or elsewhere. Did OP ever mention clothing at all?

LOL...OP here! :D

You're right I didn't say ANYTHING about attire, however, I've been chuckling a bit as I've read the responses. I kinda knew that it would be brought into the discussion at some point...I just braced myself for the shift in the conversation. We knew it was coming! This IS Cruise Critic, right?!? ;)

You're right I didn't say ANYTHING about attire, however, I've been chuckling a bit as I've read the responses. I kinda knew that it would be brought into the discussion at some point...I just braced myself for the shift in the conversation. We knew it was coming! This IS Cruise Critic, right?!? ;)

It was brought into the discussion because you asked about MDR on FORMAL nights - if it wasn't about dress at all why mention Formal nights?

Point well taken, we usually try to work in a show or a visit to Rising Tides, or some other lounge for a little while to avoid the "put it on, eat, take it off scenario"

Once Im dressed for dinner, thats generally what I will be wearing when I turn in late for bed. I will not return to the cabin to change clothes again. Ive been one of those weirdos still wearing most of his tux at midnight in one of the lounges :o They are rented so I was getting my use out of them. LOL. Now though my formal wear consists of dress pants and a long sleeve dress shirt sans the tie and jacket. Im comfortable enough to remain in that all night.

To answer the OPs question, I attend both formal nights even though. Always. :)

Edited by ryano

It was brought into the discussion because you asked about MDR on FORMAL nights - if it wasn't about dress at all why mention Formal nights?

Different menus on formal night. Some may consider them more "traditional" and either want them (like me) or not (like some others). Dress wasn't mentioned so I didn't address it in my initial response.

I go to the MDR because of the following:

-I have paid for it

-I have paid for the services

-The food is usually very good

As I noted, whether or not I go depends on if WJ has an enticing theme. If that happens to be on formal night, I go. If a different night, same answer.

BECAUSE I was only asking about the 2 designated nights, not the attire. Reading is fundamental. :rolleyes:

And we usually eat all meals in the MDR... We just look a little better on formal nights, some times a sports coat, or just a dressy vest with a tie(wild). A lot depends on the cruise and where we area going and how long we will be gone and/or before or after adventures.

I respect all the reasons why many chose to dress up, wedding, anniversaries, birthdays,etc. and or just like to look dress formally, but how they dress does not effect my MDR experience or dress style. I do enjoy looking at all the "formally dressed" cruisers, not very many now days, some look great and well some look like they are going to a funeral.

IMHO the only thing that is really formal about the MDR on formal nights, now days, some times they have a special or upscale menu(if you can call it that) and the Head Waiter usually has a white jacket on and waiter seem to be dress the same as non formal night.

Different menus on formal night. Some may consider them more "traditional" and either want them (like me) or not (like some others). Dress wasn't mentioned so I didn't address it in my initial response.

I go to the MDR because of the following:

-I have paid for it

-I have paid for the services

-The food is usually very good

As I noted, whether or not I go depends on if WJ has an enticing theme. If that happens to be on formal night, I go. If a different night, same answer.

Now I am confused - I thought I remembered reading here that the menus were the same across the fleet - like the day 1 menu is always the same, day 2 and so on. But Formal nights are not always on the same night from itinerary to itinerary?

This is only a vague memory about the menus, so it might not be right, or isn't right any longer.

Now I am confused - I thought I remembered reading here that the menus were the same across the fleet - like the day 1 menu is always the same, day 2 and so on. But Formal nights are not always on the same night from itinerary to itinerary?

This is only a vague memory about the menus, so it might not be right, or isn't right any longer.

Same menus, but they shuffle them depending on ports. For example on Oasis and Freedom, the Eastern and Western itineraries change the order of the menus, and that alters which night is formal

Edited by John&LaLa

Same menus, but they shuffle them depending on ports. For example on Oasis and Freedom, the Eastern and Western itineraries change the order of the menus, and that alters which night is formal

Actually there are over 15 distinct menus in the fleet. For most 7 day or less sailings they stick to a core set usually though and can rearrange them as you have said.

Actually there are over 15 distinct menus in the fleet. For most 7 day or less sailings they stick to a core set usually though and can rearrange them as you have said.

Correct, I am not thinking clear, still trying to process the addition of self serve beer on Freedom

I was just interested in hearing some opinions from other RCI cruisers after having a discussion with some friends. Do any of you go to the MDR for both formal nights, one night, or none of them? For me even though formal nights don't appear to be really FORMAL these days, the only time I typically get to eat lobster and my key lime pie is on formal night #2. My friends say they don't really care about it anymore and would opt for specialty or Windjammer. What are your thoughts?

BECAUSE I was only asking about the 2 designated nights, not the attire. Reading is fundamental. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, I am relaxed, and I can read :D

To me, it seemed like you were asking if it was worth it to people to dress up "more" (even if not really FORMAL) to eat in the MDR on formal nights to get the special menu items available on those nights. To you it is worth it, to your friends it is not.

You didn't ask about attire, but it is not surprising to me at all that when you asked people for their thoughts on the matter they automatically included information about attire. Because that is part of the decision making process on whether it is worth it or they opt for specialty or Windjammer.

Maybe with a poll - How many formal nights do you visit the MDR? - 0, 1 or 2. But even then, the words formal nights would probably bring out discussion. :rolleyes:

so without mentioning attire, we eat in the MDR every night.

We never eat in specialty restaurants, never eat dinner in the windjammer.

MDR, MDR, MDR. As another person mentioned, that's what we've paid for.

and if we're talking MDR, i tend to eat breakfast and lunch there as well (whenever it's open).

Used to always be in the MDR but this cruise we will be in Chops for the 1st formal night. 2nd we should be in the MDR. My family doesn't really like getting dressed up anymore. I'm bringing a cocktail dress for night #2 and the first night in chops will wear a pretty maxi with side cut outs.

Also will wear nice dressy shorts (a la Taylor Swift) on another night of the cruise. Fashion and comfort will both be addressed :)

Maybe with a poll - How many formal nights do you visit the MDR? - 0, 1 or 2. But even then, the words formal nights would probably bring out discussion. :rolleyes:

...and I'm perfectly fine with thoughts about MDR attire. I'm enjoying the responses, whatever they are. It's not a huge deal.