Mariner Discount

tkwbear

No, but when the cost of oil goes back up, they'll probably use that as justification for a price increase! :)

We were recently notified that the price of our booked Alaska cruise next summer was be increased somewhat due to "increased fuel costs" - sounds ridiculous, but try to prove them wrong.

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-09%20at%204.11.49%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-09%20at%204.06.23%20PM%202.png

cabin 8098 popped up for both searches earlier, but they are the same type. (8098 and 8077)

hope this works

I tried it with and without my Mariner number and get exactly the same price of $4,349 + $471.13 in taxes and fees in US dollars. This is exactly the kind of disconnects I mentioned before when talking about our testing of the system a couple of years ago. We had a hard time having two people come up with the same amount.

Edited by Randyk47

Here's the response I received from an email I sent earlier:

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line. First and foremost, please know that we most certainly appreciate your most loyal patronage and we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Our marketing team takes many factors into account when deciding on mailing strategies and pricing promotions. Sailing history, Star Level, geographic location and region are all considered before promotions are released. We understand your concerns and have forwarded your email to our Marketing Department for review.

We feel a very special appreciation for our valued Mariners and we are very sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with recent pricing structures found on our website. We do regret your displeasure and we appreciate the time you took to let us know.

Again, we thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Input from our guests is always utilized in revamping our product to provide more tangible benefits than previously offered on board our Five Star Fleet.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Through excellence we create once-in-a-lifetime experiences every time.

Kind Regards...

Thought they bought oil 'futures' to guarantee supply? Anyone know??

As any accountant can tell you, commodities futures (such as crude oil) can be purchased to guarantee price or supply or both ... a futures contract is nothing more (or less) than an agreement to buy a certain volume of a commodity at a future date at a specified price ... thus it guarantees both the supply and the price ...

Edited by avian777

I checked our cruise yesterday and it is selling at half price now for the same category - never again will I book a long time ahead. We were not even given the OBC that many received. Not too happy with HAL right now. Have never been given a mariner price and we are 5 star.

I checked our cruise yesterday and it is selling at half price now for the same category - never again will I book a long time ahead. We were not even given the OBC that many received. Not too happy with HAL right now. Have never been given a mariner price and we are 5 star.

I usually buy mine within 60 days of sailing, though I have bought them with less than 2 weeks before sailing.

I have been looking at the Zaandam Hawaiian sailing on the 20th, but the price hasn't moved. I used a friend's Mariner number yesterday and that produced a $400 discount. I would have bought it at that price, but I can't. I suppose they think they own me now. They are wrong.

I usually buy mine within 60 days of sailing, though I have bought them with less than 2 weeks before sailing.

I have been looking at the Zaandam Hawaiian sailing on the 20th, but the price hasn't moved. I used a friend's Mariner number yesterday and that produced a $400 discount. I would have bought it at that price, but I can't. I suppose they think they own me now. They are wrong.

I wish we had the flexibility to wait until 60 days or less out to book a cruise but working doesn't allow that. Maybe when we're both fully retired we can watch for bargains like last minute sales. That said the downside from our experience from other travel is that costs like flights and pre and post-cruise hotels are sometimes hard to find or more expensive. Driving from south central Texas to almost any port, outside of Galveston, is not a viable option.

As for Mariner discounts.....beats me. All I can say is that personally I'm one of the unlucky I guess as I've never been able to find a Mariner discount for any cruise I've priced.

Many of us here would call HAL and ask if they can 'refare' your cruise (if itis before final payment) or either give you a free upgrade or some OBC. If your cruise qualifies for a promo package, you can also ask for that to be added to your booking.

Your success will definitely depend on your final payment date.