Dress code for dinner in MDR?

I haven't seen anyone turned away with what you describe in nearly 10 years.

Now tank tops and hairy arm pits. Well that's something different all together.

BTW I'll be on the same Indy cruise. Looking forward to it.

Thanks so much. We are one cruise away from Diamond but have been sailing NCL the last few years and a few times in the Haven. Dress is casual and I havent seen it abused and dress all the time for work so my dh would much prefer not suit and golf shorts and shirt to dinner would be wonderful if not in a specialty or or formal.

Thanks.

I haven't seen anyone turned away with what you describe in nearly 10 years.

Now tank tops and hairy arm pits. Well that's something different all together.

BTW I'll be on the same Indy cruise. Looking forward to it.

Glad we will be spending NYE together lol. You will be able to find me. Ill be with the guy wearing golf shorts at dinner lol

See you soon!

However you want to dress is fine with me, like someone said, it's your vacation.

My wife and I will still dress up on "Formal" Night, and since it is the Caribbean, I'll just wear my White Dinner jacket instead of a Black Tux. ;)

There y'go! I'll do the same. (White dinner jacket in the Caribbean, regular tux elsewhere, or kilt and proper accouterments anywhere!) I'm on vacation, not puttering in the garage. I'll dress up because I'm on vacation! (And I LOVE the way my Lady looks on those nights.....)

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

I'm on vacation. I don't want to dress up. On Jewel in September I wore jeans every day in the MDR for My Time Dining. We actually skipped the first Formal Night because we didn't want to "dress up" and our waiters told us there was no reason to skip the next one, how we were dressed was fine no issue.

This ! To each their own but I don't want to "dress up" on while I'm on vacation. Trust me I get how others feel about it being a "dining room" and all but it's still a vacation and especially in the dead of summer I don't want to have to bring a completely different attire just to have dinner. Not I'm not saying when I cruise NCL that I'm walking in with basketball shorts and a tank top. But we do prefer to wear our like khaki shorts and a shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sailing on the Indy over NYE. With the exception of NYE and formal, could the men wear dress shorts and golf shirt for dinner?

I know what the dress code says Im asking about actual experience.

Thank you.

The problem is that people's experience varies - as if often the case RCI is inconsistent! While many have seen people wearing shirts in the MDR (I have seen this myself) quite a few people have reported seeing the Maitre D refuse entry and send people back to change.

If you're ok with taking the risk then go for it, but I think you have to be prepared either to change to eat elsewhere if they decide on your cruise that they will enforce the rule.

The problem is that people's experience varies - as if often the case RCI is inconsistent! While many have seen people wearing shirts in the MDR (I have seen this myself) quite a few people have reported seeing the Maitre D refuse entry and send people back to change.

If you're ok with taking the risk then go for it, but I think you have to be prepared either to change to eat elsewhere if they decide on your cruise that they will enforce the rule.

Thanks. Will do. My dh and dd will have khaki pants for formal and Chops. Thanks!

LOL I just told the inlaws no jeans or no short in the dining room. Things have gotten more lax and I do see folks wear jeans from time to time.

That's pretty funny, I just told my in-laws the same thing last night.

My BIL doesn't want to get dresses up at all but I told him he should wear slacks and a polo type of shirt....no flip flops.

I just want to tell people who will be cruising on the Grandeur.

After the first night you will be stopped at the door and asked to change to long pants. If they don't get you at the door, they will come to the table and ask that at the next dinner to wear long pants or dine in the Windjammer.

Do some people get overlooked. I am sure they do, but I just wanted you to know what to expect.

Edited by starlake

We were on the Nav last week. Was surprised that every dinner other than formal nights was marked "casual". Didn't it used to say "smart casual'?

Yes it did say that for quite some time. I think where it became controversial was trying to define what "smart" meant. Not certain what that means, but many people are wearing whatever works for them.

That's what I like most. You want to dress in a tux or gown? Go for it. You want to dress casual? Majority of people do that. Everyone is welcome.��

Precisely. Something for everyone to enjoy! Not hard, not difficult. Whatever strikes your mood. I think with the gravitation towards more extended families cruising together and more people wanting anytime dining with just themselves or family (not sitting with strangers) that many prefer to be casual. Everyone is free to surpass that if they wish.

Precisely. Something for everyone to enjoy! Not hard, not difficult. Whatever strikes your mood. I think with the gravitation towards more extended families cruising together and more people wanting anytime dining with just themselves or family (not sitting with strangers) that many prefer to be casual. Everyone is free to surpass that if they wish.

We concur. I've noticed the move to more casual dress on cruises really accalerating over the last few cruises I've been on....RCCL, CCL, Celebrity and NCL. Each one I take is more casual than the one before it.

Stayed in the NCL Haven about 16 months ago. Tremendous experience. We even had our own intimate dining room and lounge/bar area. Know what? Not one person wore a tie, let alone a suit. We were in Bermuda, so some men actually dressed like the locals, with shorts and knee high socks and a button down shirt for dinner "dress up" nights. Strange looking to me, but the local custom considered them to be "sharp dressers".

Same for dining in the specialty resautrants.

No one cared. Our dinners were great. Our restaurant companions were wonderful.

I know there are a few who are hanging on by their fingernails trying to change the dress to what they think is approprate, but the trend speaks for itself. People want to be casual. So, casual it is.

We concur. I've noticed the move to more casual dress on cruises really accalerating over the last few cruises I've been on....RCCL, CCL, Celebrity and NCL. Each one I take is more casual than the one before it.

Stayed in the NCL Haven about 16 months ago. Tremendous experience. We even had our own intimate dining room and lounge/bar area. Know what? Not one person wore a tie, let alone a suit. We were in Bermuda, so some men actually dressed like the locals, with shorts and knee high socks and a button down shirt for dinner "dress up" nights. Strange looking to me, but the local custom considered them to be "sharp dressers".

Same for dining in the specialty resautrants.

No one cared. Our dinners were great. Our restaurant companions were wonderful.

I know there are a few who are hanging on by their fingernails trying to change the dress to what they think is approprate, but the trend speaks for itself. People want to be casual. So, casual it is.