Earliest flight out of FLL?

DH and I are considering taking the 4 night cruise to Cozumel aboard Indy that leaves on Thanksgiving. However, it does not return until Monday morning, and my job is such that if I can make it by 1pm, I don't have to take the day off.

What is the absolute earliest you would book a flight departing FLL under the circumstances? I was on that same itinerary on Liberty once, but that was over 3 years ago, and our flight was late so we didn't leave the ship with any sense of urgency. I always carry my own luggage off the ship, would not need to check luggage at the airport, and have TSA precheck. Is a 9am flight too aggressive?

Thanks for the feedback!

something to consider-- bags MUST be checked in at least 60 minutes before your flight time.

if you get off the ship with the many people doing self assist-- carrying off all your luggage-- I would take the earliest at 11am.

what flight times are being offered to you?

Well no, I wasn't kidding. Based on previous experiences in FLL on other ships, being one of the first people off, not having to check a bag, and expedited security, I think it might be possible. However, I have never sailed on Indy and am looking to solicit feedback and advice before deciding.

Well no, I wasn't kidding. Based on previous experiences in FLL on other ships, being one of the first people off, not having to check a bag, and expedited security, I think it might be possible. However, I have never sailed on Indy and am looking to solicit feedback and advice before deciding.

Experiences on Oasis/Allure can not be compared to any other ship including Indy. Those two ships get into port earlier, get cleared earlier, and use a super-efficient terminal.

I don't think there is any way you could make that flight off of Indy, even if you do self-disembarkation and have no luggage to check.

There is an 8:55 I might like to get on. I wouldn't have a bag to check. Carry-on and personal item are more than enough for me on a 4 day cruise. It's amazing how much luggage space gets freed up by not wearing heels onboard!

Indy is not known for its quick and efficient disembarkation mornings. :eek:

I would not EVER book a flight at 8:55 a.m. after a cruise. From any cruise port or any airport. EVER.

OK--now you all have me worried.

I have booked an 11:45 flight for my Serenade cruise. I know Royal suggests leaving after noon. But, I figured 15 minutes would be OK if we do self- disembark.

We disembarked from FLL on a TA [Legend] and were at the airport by 10:00 and I thought there was chaos in the customs lines.

I would never book a flight after a TA before 1 pm--but, don't you think 11:45 is OK after a RT from FLL?

I have booked an 11:45 flight for my Serenade cruise. I know Royal suggests leaving after noon. But, I figured 15 minutes would be OK if we do self- disembark.

We disembarked from FLL on a TA [Legend] and were at the airport by 10:00 and I thought there was chaos in the customs lines.

I would never book a flight after a TA before 1 pm--but, don't you think 11:45 is OK after a RT from FLL?

As long as you are prompt that morning, you will be fine.

Is it doable? Yes

But it would be negligent for anybody to advise you to take that risk. If you do roll the dice, just make sure you have luggage in hand and are stalking the disembark area . . . you literally want to be one of the first ones off the ship and through customs.

ComPLETEly different scenario. You should be fine.

ETA: Do you have TSA pre-check? That helps even more. Worth every penny.

Edited by Merion_Mom

DH and I are considering taking the 4 night cruise to Cozumel aboard Indy that leaves on Thanksgiving. However, it does not return until Monday morning, and my job is such that if I can make it by 1pm, I don't have to take the day off.

What is the absolute earliest you would book a flight departing FLL under the circumstances? I was on that same itinerary on Liberty once, but that was over 3 years ago, and our flight was late so we didn't leave the ship with any sense of urgency. I always carry my own luggage off the ship, would not need to check luggage at the airport, and have TSA precheck. Is a 9am flight too aggressive?

Thanks for the feedback!

We usually fly back around then - we aim for 9:30 flights, but 9 is definitely doable - however, we do this on non holiday weekends. You are taking a risk of course. If there are any customs delays for the ship as a whole, you're likely screwed, and if you get selected for random baggage screening by US Customs you may be in trouble as well (and if you want to make baggage inspection miserable, visibly seem agitated in front of the Customs officer - you run the risk they think you're hiding something and they'll take their time).

However, I would caution on the day after Thanksgiving weekend. I'm not sure how bad it is (I haven't flown the Monday after Thanksgiving from FLL in a long time) - but you're definitely introducing a third risk factor due to volume of passengers at the airport.

All that said -- if you're first off the ship (line up a half hour before self disembark begins) and the rest goes smoothly, it is definitely doable. For you it may be worth the risk:reward tradeoff for work.

We usually fly back around then - we aim for 9:30 flights, but 9 is definitely doable - however, we do this on non holiday weekends. You are taking a risk of course. If there are any customs delays for the ship as a whole, you're likely screwed, and if you get selected for random baggage screening by US Customs you may be in trouble as well (and if you want to make baggage inspection miserable, visibly seem agitated in front of the Customs officer - you run the risk they think you're hiding something and they'll take their time).

However, I would caution on the day after Thanksgiving weekend. I'm not sure how bad it is (I haven't flown the Monday after Thanksgiving from FLL in a long time) - but you're definitely introducing a third risk factor due to volume of passengers at the airport.

All that said -- if you're first off the ship (line up a half hour before self disembark begins) and the rest goes smoothly, it is definitely doable. For you it may be worth the risk:reward tradeoff for work.

Have you done a 9:00 flight after disembarking Indy from FLL, like the OP is asking about? It looks from your signature that you've done Oasis and Allure (from FLL), which as others have indicated, disembark earlier.

Edited by time4u2go

There is an 8:55 I might like to get on. I wouldn't have a bag to check. Carry-on and personal item are more than enough for me on a 4 day cruise. It's amazing how much luggage space gets freed up by not wearing heels onboard!

this is not something I would do-

Have some back up plans just in case you miss it.

and more then likely the flights after this are probably all sold out too.

I would NOT put faith in having expedited security. The last two times we traveled they were not doing expedited security.

We self disembarked Indy a couple weeks ago and were standing in line at the self service kiosks at 8:24. For unknown reasons there was a short delay at the counters so it took a few minutes to get moving and check our bags. There was also a "short" delay at the security line I happened to get routed to. My family was through in 3 minutes, I probably took nearly 20 with only 8-ish people ahead of me. I can only assume there was a bag of heroin in every carry-on for every person ahead of me.

bottom line, 8:55 is WAY too close for comfort for me. One tiny delay anywhere and you're finding another way home.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I hadn't even thought about increased Thanksgiving volume, which definitely makes the idea a bit crazier.

I normally wouldn't even consider this, we normally take the last flight of the day back in order to maximize our vacation. This cruise is kind of a spur of the moment idea (we haven't booked it yet) so I wanted to touch base with people who have experience flying out earlier in the day.