Big expansion plans for Port of Miami

LMaxwell

Do you have a link to an article that shows Adam G stating that the majority of business will switch from FLL to POM? Without that link, I think people are reading more into the expansion of POM and Royals investment into the project.

Both ports will have plenty of ships for cruisers to choose from. I personally would love a ship to sail from POM on a S. Caribbean route, it would mean NO airfare for me at all.

Post 61

I too would like to see more southern routes from Miami; no airfare! Yes, more ships coming, but they have to break up the stale eastern/western merry go round itineraries or it could become an issue.

They started out doing 12 and 14 day cruises; maybe they are seeing a lot of B2B cruisers, or people who said they would be B2B'ers if itineraries changed; or they want a bigger slice of the retiring boomer market that has a bit more time and money to go to a little less tourist trap places?

I think it is all good. Good for customer choice. Good for the company. Good for Florida. :cool::cool:

For us right now, we can't do a 14 day cruise, so even a B2B is not on our agenda. However we could squeeze a 9, 10 or 11 day cruise in depending upon how it flows over the calendar and its departure from POM -- but we surely would want to go to more southern ports than the typical ones they go to....before long, Cuban ports will be added, but those (although new) are not reaching some of the interesting ports that could be put on an itinerary that is longer.

In the end....as you point out it should be all good.

Agreed! I thought the drive from FLL to Miami was nice and relatively easy.

Trust me it all depends on the time of day.

I prefer to cruise out of Port Everglades since I am about 5 miles from there. We usually have a friend drop us off and then take a cab home which is 25.00 and includes the tip. The last time I was at the Port of Miami the terminal was very chaotic.

Just remember this is about RCL not just RCI.

This is a very important point.

TUI cruises has 4 more new 99000 ton ships coming before 2019 and one of these could be placed year-round at Miami. As they could have longer cruises of 10 or 11 days they could fill the terminal outside of the slots where RCI ships are in port.

It would be interesting to see if they ever do like Haapag Lloyd and start selling outside the German language market. They could even have overnights at Miami and other American ports.